Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hoarders on A&E

Another reason Claudie remains at the shelter is that she's broke. She can't afford food, electricity, water etc. Tom wont come back and she refuses any help from her children. She doesn't want to burden them. That's why she went there in the first place...Tom left and so did the money.

Tom seemed worse off than Claudie. I think she's just extremely depressed. He, on the other hand, seems like a worthless drunk and pot smoker. Claudie even made the remark, "Everyone in the neighbourhood knows how Tom is". He obviously doesn't care about his wife or the state of that house. He was using her hoarding as an excuse for his leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Relise View Post
    I'm addicted to this show as well. It gets me motivated to do a better job at not accumulating junk around my house.
    I am so depressed that my Tuesday morning motivational tool has ended! Every week, since Tuesday is a day off for me, I would get my coffee first thing in the morning and watch the recorded show. I'd have every plan to relax that morning, but then I would be compelled to organize all my closets and drawers. I even redid my fish tanks so they look neater. What a freak! My house is unbelievable now! Neater than its ever been. Granted, I haven't relaxed in over two months. . . What the fuck am I gonna do now that Hoarders is over?

I watch it every time it's on but I'm beginning to feel like they should have named it Lazy People Who Have Never Cleaned. lol
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

My mom is a hoarder. Not as bad as these people, but pretty bad. After me practically threatening to have her place condemned, she finally agreed to let me clean it up.

About 4 months ago, I rented a 6-feet wide by 15 feet long, by 5-feet high dumpster and had them set it in her driveway. I proceeded to completely fill it with (only) two rooms worth of junk -- and some miscellaneous yard waste.

The last two Saturdays, I brought my wife, my wife's mom, and my kids over to my mom's house to continue to clean and get rid of stuff.

Tomorrow, I'm going over there with my FIL (hopefully) to fix her gutter, install a railing in her basement, and haul out yet more stuff.

On a certain level, I am absolutely furious at my mother that I am having to do this in the first place. But I have to recognize that this is some kind of weird mental syndrome she has fallen into, and (based on A&E) it could be a lot worse.....

^Aw that is so nice of you! You're a good son.

I've never had to deal with this at all so the only thing I know about it is from watching the show.

I hope she doesn't go back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsChiff View Post
    ^Aw that is so nice of you! You're a good son.

I've never had to deal with this at all so the only thing I know about it is from watching the show.

I hope she doesn't go back to it.
    Thanks. The tough part is that she still gets 3 newspapers a day. I asked and then practically ordered her to cancel to of her subscriptions -- she can read news stories on the web, for crying out loud. Anyway, if I visit once every two weeks, those three newspapers alone take up about 10 bags of recyclable paper - 3 x 14 = 42 newspapers. She hasn't canceled any of her subscriptions yet.

oh no^ lol

Does she take it well or has she been fighting you the whole way? Just curious.. you are really great, though, to help her so much!

I learned a trick a long time ago from some man.. newspaper is great for cleaning windows. Spray on the windex and wipe clean with wrinkled newspaper. Doesn't leave any streaks. It works well

Quote Originally Posted by MsChiff View Post
    oh no^ lol

Does she take it well or has she been fighting you the whole way? Just curious.. you are really great, though, to help her so much!

I learned a trick a long time ago from some man.. newspaper is great for cleaning windows. Spray on the windex and wipe clean with wrinkled newspaper. Doesn't leave any streaks. It works well
    She takes it better than she used to. I think it's typical of someone with this syndrome, but she has used every trick in the book to stave off "judgment day". That includes promising, procrastinating, and out-and-out freaking out (which is what she used on my dad when he was alive). Now, she is in kind of bad shape - mobility wise - and we are looking at a time in the not too distant future where she would have to live at an assisted-living facility. So, she has relented.

However, she still accumulates stuff at an annoying pace, and is still in kind of denial about just how much stuff she has to get rid of.

What makes it harder is that she is a saint of a woman -- not ONE negative word about my wife in our 20-year relationship. Not one. Generous. An intellectual and female trailblazer. Dotes on my kids.

What I really need to do is have her over at my house for another weekend. While my wife is taking her out shopping, I need to drive to her place, load my brother's and my cars up without 4,000 pounds of boxes, newspapers, old papers, and take them to the dump.

I agree that there is probably a slight case of mental issues with Claudie. She wasn't attached to the stuff because she was very willing to throw it all out. But to rant and rave when her family tried to clean it up is crazy.

Some of things said at the A&E forum addressed her husband's appearing and then disappearing again without commitment: "he probably thought it was Extreme Makeover and they'd all get to go to Disneyland. When he found out it wasn't about that he took off." And then someone pointed out that he probably was just smoking a roll your own cigarette and wouldn't smoke Marijuana with the cameras on him. Idk, it did look like a doobie.

If he is retired then Claudie is entitled to benefits even at 58. Even if he divorced her she can get benefits if she doesn't remarry.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

*bump*

Anyone watching the season premiere?? HOLY SHIT!!!

I missed it. What was the big story with this episode?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Woman with TWO HOUSES!!!

One: not lived in; basically rotted and full of garbage. She had been planning to sell it for retirement but obviously now it has to be torn down.

Second: "lived in" and I mean that in the loosest possible sense. She couldn't use the bathroom in any way or the kitchen. People walked on heaps of stuff to get around. Absolute nightmare. She just moved things onto her driveway. I blame the organizer for not being firm with her and telling her how to do things. She basically let her move stuff from the house onto the driveway.

It was sooooooooooo bad!!

Holy shit in a plastic bag!!

Did you see the new season on Monday- OMG that woman with the dolls. She was nuts. And the other woman that was just beyond sad. Spends all day praying in church and comes home to that shit hole! I'm glad a few of her 9 kids got it and truly felt bad for letting their mother live like that. Wow is all I could keep saying!
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

The dolls creeped me the fuck out. And sometimes I wonder why they even try to clean out some of the houses. The woman with the 9 kids... why didn't they just level the place and use aftercare funds to get her an apartment or something, that craphole house isn't fit for anyone to live in.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information