Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoarders on A&E

I would never ever allow my mother or father live in squalor, but I definately have family members who are so vile and hateful that I would probably give it a lot of thought before I jumped to their rescue. There's only so many times you can beat your head against the wall with people, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    the second woman that they documented was a bit better but I felt so sorry for her animals. LOL Those poor dogs. This gal blamed it on hereditary and I guess she was right somewhat. her parents died and she moved into the house which was filled with junk to the ceiling. She just continued the cycle. Funny how she said she was 58....68 is more like it. No water or electricity, she used the neighbors hose to fill a pail with water to flush her toilets. I don't get it. She was able to keep her red dye job up but couldnt pay to live a life of decency.

This mental illness has to be the oddest one yet. You have a home filled with disgusting things..it goes on and on for yrs and no one gets to the bottom of it before it hits catastrophic preportions? Let's eliminate the person doesnt want help or the family turns the other cheek...how in the hell do ppl let other ppl live like this??
    Well, if she's using her neighbor's hose for water, then I'm assuming she's not out in the country somewhere. Why wouldn't the neighbors call the local health department? The stench would have to be unbearable, especially in the summer, and keeping loads of trash around would attract vermin.

There was a hoarder in my neighborhood, and that's what happened. The health department threatened to condemn her house unless she cleaned it up.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Well, if she's using her neighbor's hose for water, then I'm assuming she's not out in the country somewhere. Why wouldn't the neighbors call the local health department? The stench would have to be unbearable, especially in the summer, and keeping loads of trash around would attract vermin.

There was a hoarder in my neighborhood, and that's what happened. The health department threatened to condemn her house unless she cleaned it up.
    Her house did attract vermin. Although, the vermin were found dead in a couple of the rooms, under all the garbage

and her pet goat ate through the wall of her bedroom. So she closed it off and slept in the living room. She did mention that she thought oppossum were probably living in that bedroom as well.

Gold Member

My mom has been watching the show and probably shouldn't. My grandmother is a mild hoarder but since she's manic, every now and then she'll get a wild hair in her ass and start tossing things. Specifically important things or things that do not belong to her. She wants HER things and only her things. My mother ended up collecting dogs after my dad died, it wasn't horrible because she did take care of them but she let other things go by the wayside. Her house, her cars and so on. Unfortunately, when my mother had to go out and start taking care of her parents and my brother was left to deal with the house, he couldn't. When my mom found out how bad it had become, she turned all of the dogs over to the SPCA. Only now, after watching the show, does she see signs of it in my brother and realize how easy it is to enable the behavior.

Back to my grandmother, I've watched the woman pull broken things from the trash, throw away Tupperware but get mad if you toss the Cool Whip tub and just give things away. The other problem is that she wants the instant gratification of buying. She'll go to Walmart and buy things that aren't even her size, just to buy them. She takes them home and shoves them away. Now that she has dementia the whole thing has just gotten worse. She's 84 and fighting tooth and nail to still drive and go on like nothing has ever changed but you know it's bad when you go to the store and employees are happy that the person isn't there alone or you get calls saying that they aren't allowed to make returns anymore and so on. There are things put away and we have no idea where they are. She tries to keep pets cooped up as well which is horrifying. She shuts cats/dogs in a room, forgets and then goes looking for them. At this rate, much to my grandfather's dismay she is going to need care around the clock. It's not something we want to do but there isn't going to be much choice.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

^^ How my great grandmother is she's nearly a 100, and has to save EVERY plastic bag, magazine, cool whip containers, etc. We always try to go over and help her clean up things since she should be resting...and last time she refused to let us help.

^^^^^^tell tell signs of living through the Depression Era.

Last night's show was so much more pleasant to watch than last week. Still unbelievable people can live like this but neither one was unsanitary and not space cadets.

Thank A&E for letting me sit through this program without throwing up and running to the shower.

^^ I know and it's so sad, and it is really difficult to get through to anyone that hoards. Is any of it on youtube yet?

Have only seen snippets of this show and cannot watch for long because it skeeves me out. I don't understand how people can live like that.

This show makes me scream at the TV: "GET ON MEDICATION!!!" Why aren't these "Professional House Cleaners" who go to help them, bringing along a team of psychologists/psychiatrists? These poor hoarders need medical treatment. There was one hoarder, a relatively young woman, who had A.D.D. Apparently, she wasn't having it treated. All I'm thinking is, why doesn't someone give her some amphetamines so she'll clean her house?

I know someone like this that she has filled up her house, 2 storage buildings and had to move in with her mother and soon filled her house and garage up to the point where she fell and broke her hip. Her family tried to clean it up over and over she is so nutty that they did it when she wasnt there and she would totally flip out. This was about 5 years ago when this hoarding thing was kind of unknown. She would just fill it up again. It is so very sad.. I told them the first time I saw a show on it was Oprah and you have to have a counselor there and The hoarder has to be there or it does NOT work. THey still just try to clean it up, of course hers is a shopping thing not related to food but it is insane and almost impossible to get thru to someone like this. Her family were and still are at their wits END. It is a strange mental thing and very hard to treat I bet visit these folks in a few years and the same thing will have happened again if they did not continue therapy. To me most of them think they are just fine and will continue the behavior. To blame it on the family sucks cause they try and try to no avail. I think this is one of the most difficult mental illnesses there is.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

^ I am in disbelief when they have storage units, sheds, or more than one house that is also full!!!!!
    How can they afford that?

I can't watch this show sometimes. I get that itchy crawly feeling. I've noticed, though, the last couple of episodes it seems like they are having more success at finishing the clean up and really helping a couple of these people.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

This may sound horrible (ah, what the hell, right??) I not only find it thoroughly disgusting that these people live like that (the one that bought adult diapers and left them to rot in her bathroom, causing the huge rotted hole in the bathrooms floor ) but I get even more grossed out when I see them hugging or kissing the ones that are helping them. Gahhh!!! You know they literally live in shit and haven't bathed in YEARS! The smell alone must make stomachs turn! I just don't think I could be near or actually touch these people.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    my great grandmother is she's nearly a 100, and has to save EVERY plastic bag, magazine, cool whip containers, etc. We always try to go over, help her clean up things since she should be resting... last time she refused to let us help

Father is the same way as your grandmom. Mom tries to keep up, but it's too much for her. Whenever I visit, i wait till he takes the dog out, before grabbing all the plastic bags, empty boxes, plastic containers and putting them in recycling outside. He only gets mad if he sees us throwing anything away.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Love your^ signature it is so true.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information