Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoarders on A&E

I am addicted to this show. The one last night was pretty gross, 4000 lbs of garbage! Sometimes it seems like the show does not help as much with the mental reason the hoarders hoarde. Which makes me wonder if a lot of the houses will end up in the same condition again. I usually feel really bad for most of the hoarders, because some seem sad and baffled how things got so out of hand. Some of them are just plain difficult and unwilling to change or let anyone help. Besides, it makes me feel better about my house even if i haven't cleaned in a couple days.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

I saw this the other night. Woweeee that is one very strange illness. I wonder if they left the outhouse behind for her to use. Of course she's not grateful they took all her stuff and threw it away. It's a complete mental illness. She is miswired. My question is why did her grown children allow this to escalate to such a degree? If it was my Mom I would be helping out a lot more. Hire someone to clean every week etc. There comes a time when children have to step in and help their parents out.

^I think a lot of the families have tried, but the illness makes them unwilling to let anyone help. They don't want their stuff thrown out and sometimes they have weird attachments to the most meaningless crap. From some of the other episodes i've seen it seems like the families can only help so much if the hoarder doesn't want to be helped.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

^Yeah, they are sick. It's apparently a form of OCD, they need professional help. It's no different than if your parent is an alcoholic, what are you going to do hide the booze? They will still find a way to drink and if they don't want help, there's nothing you can do. It's not something a family can deal with on their own, that's for sure. Plus, most of the time they don't think anything is wrong. They can't admit they are hoarders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I had to avoid A&E because of this show-just cannot watch it.
    Me,either. Just the idea makes me uneasy,queasy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I've only seen one episode of this show and I can't imagine a worse one to start with. It was the one with the husband and wife who had a shitload of dead cats in their home, garage and attic. I can't even imagine wading through all the crap in my home and stepping on carcases day in, day out. Of course, the surviving cats were completely traumatized and crazy scary.

That woman-Augustine-did not want help. And she had a hard time showing gratitude when the Got Junk guys bought her a new chair. Her kids also mentioned other people always end up cleaning out her house.

I am addicted to this show for some odd reason.

Its on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    That woman-Augustine-did not want help. And she had a hard time showing gratitude when the Got Junk guys bought her a new chair. Her kids also mentioned other people always end up cleaning out her house.

I am addicted to this show for some odd reason.
    I couldn't believe they found TWO dead cats in her house and when they told her, she barely acknowledged it, like it was normal!

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    I couldn't believe they found TWO dead cats in her house and when they told her, she barely acknowledged it, like it was normal!
    Hers was particularly gross. 8,000 lbs of garbage! And that bathroom was a freaking biohazard. I don't know if she was still taking dumps in that toilet, but they said the toilet and the bathtub were both full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Hers was particularly gross. 8,000 lbs of garbage! And that bathroom was a freaking biohazard. I don't know if she was still taking dumps in that toilet, but they said the toilet and the bathtub were both full of shit.
    Unless she was shitting outside, she was using that toilet and tub! And think, if the tub was full of shit, where was she washing herself???

Last night's show had to be the worse so far. Piles and piles of adult diapers everywhere. So bad that the urine ate thru the bathroom floor. They had to remove the bathroom door to get all the diapers out. I had to close my eyes through most of it.

As I said in an earlier post how can relatives let their loved one live without electricity and water?? This is also a condition of complete neglect as well as a mental illness. This woman almost died while being stuck between a wall and a pile of shitty diapers. She straps herself in a chair everynight to sleep, but this one night she slipped thru the rope and was too weak to get herself up. Earlier in the year she bought an alert/panic system for her home and was able to contact 911 while trapped on her kitchen floor.

Her home was condemmed because of all the fece matter.......but in the end someone bought the home for $5000.00. She is now in a nursing home because of all the bacteria from the cross contamination from bugs and poop which ate away at her feet. She can no longer walk. BTW she has a college degree and was successful in the IT industry many yrs ago.

^ I'm glad I missed that one.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

last nights show was extremely interesting to me. I am just fascinated with people like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

the second woman that they documented was a bit better but I felt so sorry for her animals. LOL Those poor dogs. This gal blamed it on hereditary and I guess she was right somewhat. her parents died and she moved into the house which was filled with junk to the ceiling. She just continued the cycle. Funny how she said she was 58....68 is more like it. No water or electricity, she used the neighbors hose to fill a pail with water to flush her toilets. I don't get it. She was able to keep her red dye job up but couldnt pay to live a life of decency.

This mental illness has to be the oddest one yet. You have a home filled with disgusting things..it goes on and on for yrs and no one gets to the bottom of it before it hits catastrophic preportions? Let's eliminate the person doesnt want help or the family turns the other cheek...how in the hell do ppl let other ppl live like this??

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information