Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: History Channel won't air Kennedys miniseries. "Not a fit" for the brand

Did anyone watch this? I don't have Reelz and was curious what people thought. The reviews haven't been the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I fell asleep during the first 30-45 minutes during its second run of the night. Tom Wilkinson (Joe Kennedy, Sr.) is really good, but that goes without saying. During the time that I watched, Greg Kinnear wasn't playing JFK because it's in his early years. I'm watching it again right now .... let's see how far I get this time.

I saw the last 20 minutes or so of last night's episode. Tom Wilkinson was great, and I was pleasantly surprised at Greg Kinnear - he did a pretty good JFK. KatieBot as Jackie, however, was laughable. I was almost embarrassed for her wooden acting and piss poor attempt to do Jackie's accent. *almost*
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

I watched most of the whole thing (the first two hours of eight hours total) last night. I agree with the above ... Kinnear was okay as JFK. Katie was just awful. Really, really awful. She needs to find another career, seriously.

Also, I get that it was a big coup for this virtually unknown channel to get this movie, but do we really need a Kennedys commercial (sometimes TWO!) on every single break, when the breaks were already too many??

I have watched bits and pieces too. the overall story isn't bad. I like how it goes back and forth in time and shows real interaction between Joe Sr and they boys. Tom Wilkinson is awesome, and I think Barry Pepper as Bobby is very good, too. Kinnear is better than passable, and Katie is distracting. The voice is very bothersome. Sometimes, she has a weird accent, sometimes she doesn't. It's very bad.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

"Inside Edition" is reporting record ratings for this series. Guaranteed they're people who are tuning in for about 30 minutes to catch some lulz, then switching to reruns of "McHale's Navy".
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I actually enjoyed it! I'm halfway through, watching it re-aired on Reelz. I think Barry Pepper and Greg Kinear did a great job, and their accents are terrific. I'm from Boston, and I've seen the accent butchered in so many movies.

Katie Holmes annoys the shit out of me. She looks wonderful and does look like Jackie, but her accent-I don't think I've ever heard Jackie sound like that. I do believe Katie is being wooden because Jackie was a bit wooden, but she's a horrible actress.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

I caught some of it on Reelz. It's available in its entirety On Demand on Xfinity. It was actually kind of boring, but Tom Wilkinson was having a romp as Joe Kennedy, Sr.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I watched off and on. It wasn't scintillating entertainment, but it was interesting. Barry Pepper is an excellent actor. He was very good as RFK. Greg Kinnear was okay. Katie Holmes was dreadful. Her accent was all wrong. She's is just not a good actress.

Tried to watch this but it played out like a bad soap opera. It was ok but I couldn't watch pass the first ep.

Bellini - i agree with your comments in regards to the actors. Yes Barry Pepper is an excellent actor.

A*O

This is airing in Oz at the moment. Ep2 last night. Agree that Greg Kinear's JFK is good, as is Tom Wilkinson as that evil old bastard Joe. Barry Pepper does a reasonable Bobby but is nowhere near as handsome as the real thing. The guy who plays Frank Sinatra is a joke.

Katie is a good Jackie lookalike IMO but she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag so it's wooden and totally lacking in any kind of connection to the other actors or the audience. But that's what happens when you hire a Co$bot zombie.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

This appears to be on UK TV. MrN is watching it as we speak. Dunno if its any good, I saw a bit with the daughter going nuts & decided that I didn't need to see her get a lobotomy...
    Free Charmed.

I find it unwatchable. Tom Wilkinson's accent is really bad. It's the worst I've ever seen him in anything.

There have been so many good Kennedy movies. I don't rate this series at all.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I recorded the Kennedy home movies program they aired though and wow, I was sucked right in; I am by no means a damn camelot fan - I used to despise Jackie O and her snootyness and I hated JFK and RFK for what they did to Marilyn and never understand the obsession w/ the damn Kennedys but then I started watching their home movies the other night and w/ the narrations and first person accounts, I totally got the charm of JFK for instance, the man was SEX personified and I can see how he did so well w/ the ladies, the damn bastard, and I haven't finished watching the whole program, but the family is depicted as just that; a big loving family like any other. opened my eyes thats for sure.

Explosive Jackie O tapes 'reveal how she believed Lyndon B Johnson killed JFK and had affair with movie star'

• She will allegedly reveal affair with actor William Holden
    • Believed Vice-President Johnson was behind husband's assassination

Former first lady Jackie Kennedy is said to have made the tapes within months of JFK's assassination

Jackie Onassis believed that Lyndon B Johnson and a cabal of Texas tycoons were involved in the assassination of her husband John F Kennedy, ‘explosive’ recordings are set to reveal.
    The secret tapes will show that the former first lady felt that her husband’s successor was at the heart of the plot to murder him.
    She became convinced that the then vice president, along with businessmen in the South, had orchestrated the Dallas shooting, with gunman Lee Harvey Oswald – long claimed to have been a lone assassin – merely part of a much larger conspiracy.
    Texas-born Mr Johnson, who served as the state’s governor and senator, completed Mr Kennedy’s term and went on to be elected president in his own right.
    The tapes were recorded with leading historian Arthur Schlesinger Jnr within months of the assassination on November 22, 1963, and had been sealed in a vault at the Kennedy Library in Boston.

The then Mrs Kennedy, who went on to marry Greek shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis, had ordered that they should not be released until 50 years after her death, with some reports suggesting she feared that her revelations might make her family targets for revenge.

She died 17 years ago from cancer aged 64 and now her daughter, Caroline Kennedy, has agreed to release the recordings early.

John and Jackie Kennedy with daughter Caroline, who allowed the tapes to be released to ABC in return for their cancelling of the mini series about the family

Jackie is said to reveal her affair with actor William Holden, right, which she did in retaliation for her husband's many flings

In the tapes, Jackie allegedly blames President Lyndon Johnson for the death of JFK, who took over the post from her husband after his assassination

Daughter Caroline Kennedy released the 'explosive' tapes

A programme featuring the tapes will be aired by U.S. network ABC, and it is understood British broadcasters are in talks to show it here too.
    ABC executives claimed the tapes’ revelations were ‘explosive’.
    They are believed to include the suggestion that Mr Kennedy was having an affair with a 19-year-old White House intern, with his wife even claiming that she found knickers in their bedroom.
    And they go on to reveal that she too had affairs – one with Hollywood star William Holden and another with Fiat founder Gianni Agnelli – as a result of the president’s indiscretions. It has also been claimed that, in the weeks before Mr Kennedy’s assassination, the couple had turned a corner in their relationship and were planning to have more children.
    Historian Edward Klein, who has written several books on the Kennedy clan, said: ‘Jackie regarded the pretty young things in the White House as superficial flings for Jack. She did retaliate by having her own affairs.
    ‘There was a period during which she was delighted to be able to annoy her husband with her own illicit romances.’
    It is believed that Caroline, 53, agreed to the early release of the tapes in exchange for ABC dropping its £10million drama series about the family.
    The Kennedys, starring Tom Cruise’s wife Katie Holmes as Jackie, critically charted the family’s political and personal trials and tribulations since the 1930s. The series was eventually broadcast on an independent cable channel, and on BBC2 in the UK, against Caroline’s wishes.
    A spokesman for ABC said the claims about the content of the tapes were 'erroneous'.
    He said: ‘The actual content of the tapes provide unique and important insight into our recent past from one of the most fascinating and influential First Ladies in American history.’
    The broadcaster did not reply to repeated requests for comment and would not clarify what was on the tapes, saying the programme was not scheduled for broadcast until mid-September.

Jackie O tapes to reveal her and JFK's affairs and who she believed was behind his death | Mail Online

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information