Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: History Channel won't air Kennedys miniseries. "Not a fit" for the brand

Is Greg Kinnear a cosbot?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^i think i read that tom wilkinson was, which makes sense since he was in valkyrie, too.

it also disappoints me, since he's one of my old man crushes.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    ^^i think i read that tom wilkinson was, which makes sense since he was in valkyrie, too.

Yeah you're right. Damn.

Really? I hadn't heard that. That's disappointing.

From HuffPo:

PASADENA, Calif. — After the History channel said it would not air a controversial miniseries on the Kennedy family, producers were already seeking another television home.
    The Showtime pay cable network has been approached to air the eight-part series, a spokesman said on Saturday. Eight years ago, Showtime aired a movie about President Reagan that CBS had made but decided not to broadcast when it faced pressure from some of that former president's family.
    Showtime won't make a decision about the Kennedy miniseries until its executives have a chance to see it, spokesman Richard Licata said.
    The multi-million dollar miniseries, which stars Greg Kinnear and Katie Holmes as John and Jackie Kennedy, was History's most expensive project ever. But the network issued a statement late Friday saying that after watching the finished product, "we have concluded this dramatic interpretation is not a fit for the History brand."
    Producers have sold the rights to air the series in other countries, including Canada. The producers, Muse Entertainment and Asylum, said in a statement they were confident U.S. television viewers would have a chance to see the series.
    A concerted effort was made to quash the series. Liberal filmmaker Robert Greenwald collected 50,000 petitions urging History not to air it, and he produced a short film condemning the project on a website, stopkennedysmears.com. He had been given an early script, which included one scene where President Kennedy tells his brother Robert about his need to have sex with other women.
    Former Kennedy aide Theodore Sorensen also harshly condemned the film, saying scenes in the script where he was depicted didn't actually occur.
    History also likely felt corporate pressure. The network is owned by the A&E Television Networks, which itself is owned jointly by NBC Universal, the Walt Disney Co. and the Hearst Corp.
    A top Disney executive, Disney-ABC Media Networks co-chairwoman Anne Sweeney, is also on the board of directors for the Special Olympics, the organization started by the late Eunice Kennedy Shriver, President Kennedy's sister.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

LOVED him as the transgendered farmer in Normal with Jessica Lange. I too, am disappointed.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^Me too. Wonderful role and movie. He's been so in so many good roles and can do anything. If they are that good then I can separate the Scientologist from the actor.

I read the NY Times story and that Robert Greenwald guy was a huuuuge douche. He started a petition and even made short films against the miniseries! His biggest complaints were of a scene where JFK is banging a chick in the White House swimming pool (a story that's been around for about 50 years) and that they changed the date the Peace Corps' was created by a month.

The Greenwald guy came across the worst in the article, like a political nut with lots of money and time who can't handle differing opinions and found an outlet for his Kennedy obsession. Are there seriously people that STILL have such a boner for the Kennedys they care about this stuff?? We all know that the Kennedy brothers screwed around! No one cares. The cat's not only out of the bag, it's had kittens and died.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

A*O

The Kurse of Katiebot strikes again.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

fgg

JFK CLAN KILLED KATIE's MINI

Photo by: splash news online

KENNEDY CLAN heavyweights CAROLINE KENNEDY and MARIA SHRIVER helped bring down the History Channel's The Kennedys miniseries starring KATIE HOLMES.

As The ENQUIRER first reported JFK's daughter Caroline Kennedy was livid about The History Channel 's The Kennedys since it was first announced and vowed to do something about it.

The series which was to have been a no-holds-barred unblemished account of patriarch Joseph Kennedy and his sons John and Robert's Presidential ambitions. The series was to also depict unrepemtant whoring, boozing and drug use.

A-Listers Katie Homes toplined as Jackie Kennedy with Greg Kinnear as JFK.

But with History Channel's abrupt cancellation of the unaired event, The ENQUIRER has learned that both Caroline Kennedy and Maria Shriver teamed to deep-six the controversial series masterminded by 24 co-creator conservative Joel Surnow.

While non of the advertisers reportedly complained about the content of the flesh and politics series, The Hollywood Reporter says that members of the Kennedy family strongly lobbied A& E Television Networks which owns the History Channel.

AETN is owned by a conglom including the Walt Disney Co., NBC Universal and Hearst.

A source said that Disney/ABC Television Group chief exec Anne Sweeney, who serves on the AETN board, and is said to hold the power of veto, was personally lobbied by Caroline Kennedy.

Caroline has a book deal pending with Hyperion, a division of Disney and as part of the promotions of the book Caroline was to release secret previously unreleased audio tapes of her mother and edit the book for the pub on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the New Frontier presidency.

Caroline would not be participating so closely with a supposed corporate enemy if a deal hand't beren struck to appease her rage.

Former NBC News person Mafia Shriver, the daughter of Eunice Kennedy Shriver, JFK's sister went on the attack when an early version of the script was slammed in the New York Times.

The wife of former Govenator Arnold Schwarzenegger, Shriver, is close pals with A&E topper Anne Sweeney and is said to have denounced the Kennedys series to her personally.

While the series was supposedly vetted by historians, opponents of the series lined up their own experts like speechwriter the late Theodore "Ted" Sorenson to decry the accuracy of the sensationalist events like Rat Pack orgies and Bobby and JFK swapping lover Marilyn Monroe while partying with Frank Sinatra's mafia pals.

The Kennedys is still scheduled to air in Canada but insiders say the US version will probably end up at a premium cable network like Showtime for its epic nudity and inflammatory depiction of history in a presidential bordello.

Sad they can't accept their own family members for what and who they were and yet the public can.

"Epic nudity"?

No wonder History cannned it.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Katie Holmes is A list now?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ My thoughts exactly.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Can't wait to see this! So glad it's still airing in Canada.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information