Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: HBO's "Girls"

Nice read by Apatow! I don't see a problem with her nudity at all. There are plenty other annoying things about Lena and Girls.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That reporter is an a-hole.
    why? not trying to pick a fight, i just think the reported had a point. to me, her being nude so often is just self-indulgent.

and yeah, hannah is not likeable. but i think that's the point of the show. she reminds me of carrie on SATC.
    Laurent likes this.

I have to agree that I don't think the reporter's question was out of line at all, and certainly not any of the hysterical bullshit Apatow or Dunham tried to pin on it. The reporter asked if the nudity was gratuitous. Seems like Apatow and Dunham both are overly sensitive about it for whatever reason.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    why? not trying to pick a fight, i just think the reported had a point. to me, her being nude so often is just self-indulgent.

and yeah, hannah is not likeable. but i think that's the point of the show. she reminds me of carrie on SATC.
    There are multiple reasons why I didn't like it. First, I don't think I've ever seen a press conference where someone asked a male actor that question. That is like publicly calling her out, and almost always when people have commented on it, it has been followed by the implication - either expressed either explicitly or implicitly - that Dunham's body isn't attractive enough to be seen nude. Which I think is a-hole-ishness of the highest order. There are way darker, annoying, and troubling themes and scenes on the show (like Adam and Natalia's scenes, culminating with a ground breaking pearl necklace visual).

Also, I don't think being nude is self indulgent. I think it's part of daily life. I think depicting a married couple who have just had sex as having the covers pulled up to their necks afterward is more unrealistic and self indulgent.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I have to agree that I don't think the reporter's question was out of line at all, and certainly not any of the hysterical bullshit Apatow or Dunham tried to pin on it. The reporter asked if the nudity was gratuitous. Seems like Apatow and Dunham both are overly sensitive about it for whatever reason.
    First of all, Apatow and Dunham weren't being hysterical. Second, there are other cable shows, like "Banshee" for example, that have way more sex and nudity -- and sadistic violence - than "Girls" will ever have. Same with that Commando show on Showtime or Max. So, it's also a double standard. Is this reporter going to follow around Emmie Rossum at the Shameless press conference and ask the question, too?
    faithanne and 70sRock like this.

Sorry, I just don't see it as a dig at her weight, they obviously do. I think them both getting offended and labeling the question as being offensive, sexist, and misogynistic was coming up over the top with it. You don't - a difference of opinion, but I don't see it. And, yeah, ask Emmy Rossum if he's interested in the answer, just like I think it could've been asked in shows like Oz with male nudity, sometimes just for the sake of showing dick. If it furthers the story or simulates real life, then that's the answer, but I don't understand them getting overly torqued out over the question and I don't think it was necessarily an asshole question.

Sorry, I just don't see it as a dig at her weight, they obviously do. I think them both getting offended and labeling the question as being offensive, sexist, and misogynistic was coming up over the top with it. You don't - a difference of opinion, but I don't see it. And, yeah, ask Emmy Rossum if he's interested in the answer, just like I think it could've been asked in shows like Oz with male nudity, sometimes just for the sake of showing dick. If it furthers the story or simulates real life, then that's the answer, but I don't understand them getting overly torqued out over the question and I don't think it was necessarily an asshole question.
    Once again, people are nude in their homes in real life, so the show kind of reflects that reality. Just like police and drug gang shootouts are a reality and blood squibs coming out of actors is how that's reflected. The reporter can basically turn this into a whirlwind tour of "Boardwalk Empire" (nudity), "Game of Thrones", and 8 zillion other premium cable programs, and get some kind of industry-wide survey on the issue. Maybe if he was consistent about that he wouldn't be an a-hole but he singled out Lena Dunham. So, he's an a-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Once again, people are nude in their homes in real life, so the show kind of reflects that reality. Just like police and drug gang shootouts are a reality and blood squibs coming out of actors is how that's reflected. The reporter can basically turn this into a whirlwind tour of "Boardwalk Empire" (nudity), "Game of Thrones", and 8 zillion other premium cable programs, and get some kind of industry-wide survey on the issue. Maybe if he was consistent about that he wouldn't be an a-hole but he singled out Lena Dunham. So, he's an a-hole.
    And once again, "it simulates real life to have our actors nude in the show" could be the answer, then. No one said it wasn't. I certainly didn't. Asking if the nudity in the show is gratuitous may be puritanical, but I don't find it to be an offensive question, and while the reporter may be an asshole, I don't see it just for this question. YMMV.
    calcifer likes this.

And once again, "it simulates real life to have our actors nude in the show" could be the answer, then. No one said it wasn't. I certainly didn't. Asking if the nudity in the show is gratuitous may be puritanical, but I don't find it to be an offensive question, and while the reporter may be an asshole, I don't see it just for this question. YMMV.
    I don't think you can divorce the simple question of nudity on the show from the fact that Dunham has been singled out in public multiple times for not being attractive enough to be nude on the show. Examples are all over the place, but include the NY Post's Linda Stasi (referring to Dunham as "blobby" and a "pathological exhibitionist) and Howard Stern ("she keeps taking her clothes off, and it kind of feels like rape.").

I agree with Mo, the reporter wouldn't have asked that question if he thought she had a hot body or if she was a guy. I think the nudity on the show isn't gratuitous - she never tries to film herself in a flattering way, she's more realistic and it also fits the character because Hannah has a much higher opinion of her own attractiveness than she thinks everyone else has of her.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Maybe it was the way the question was worded that seemed to not spark offensive intentions to me. He asked about all the nudity on the show and said it seemed like there was nudity for no discernible reason sometimes. It sounds like a prudish question/remark, but not definitively assholish to me. If you add in that she's been targeted for her weight, then I suppose one could infer mean intentions easily, but I guess I just don't see it necessarily being there from the question.

Hit By Ban Bus!

She/they always try to make these questions out to be a dig at Dunham's weight and/or level of attractiveness. and maybe sometimes it is--but imo they're more often revelatory of whether Dunham is as delusional, disagreeable, out of touch, and narcissistic as her character and imo the answer is a resounding yes.
    Beeyotch and Laurent like this.

But what is "nudity for no discernible reason"? She's either having sex, walking around the apartment scratching herself or sitting in the bathtub. What's inappropriate or unreasonable about that? I do all those things naked, and more. It would be more unreasonable to wear clothes at those times. The rest of the nudity (like switching shirts when she's partying or when Shosh smoked crack and took her skirt off) are for comedy value and totally fit the context of the scenes. It's not like she's visiting sick children or going to the ballet naked.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    But what is "nudity for no discernible reason"? She's either having sex, walking around the apartment scratching herself or sitting in the bathtub. What's inappropriate or unreasonable about that? I do all those things naked, and more. It would be more unreasonable to wear clothes at those times. The rest of the nudity (like switching shirts when she's partying or when Shosh smoked crack and took her skirt off) are for comedy value and totally fit the context of the scenes. It's not like she's visiting sick children or going to the ballet naked.
    I'm not saying that it's inappropriate or unreasonable for there to be a lot of nudity on the show. If they feel that it furthers their storyline, that's fine and their creative business. Just like I feel that it furthered Oz's storyline to have male actors walk around nude and show full frontal male nudity. That wasn't gratuitous to me, especially since it was set in a prison, but there were a lot of people at the time that felt it was and was unnecessary and questioned it. I didn't feel them asking about whether it was gratuitous on Oz was inappropriate, either. It's a legitimate question to ask in my opinion, just as the creators and actors saying that they feel that it's representative of real life to have a lot of nudity is a legitimate answer.

I don't really have an opinion about the show Girls specifically, actually. My comments were just based on whether or not the question and comment was inappropriate and necessarily made the reporter an asshole. I felt it didn't. I think Linda Stasi's and Howard Stern's comments about Dunham's weight make them assholes, but I don't think that can be attached to any reporter that asks her a question about the direction of the show or nudity in general.

Yeah I wasn't really directing that at you, and I know you were paraphrasing the reporter's question. I just feel that the way he worded it (and the way I would have taken it if I was Lena) was that the nudity is attention-seeking rather than realistic. I would be sick of constantly being asked to justify it too, just because some people are more prudish than others (which makes me wonder if/why they watch the show).

czb

Maybe it was the way the question was worded that seemed to not spark offensive intentions to me. He asked about all the nudity on the show and said it seemed like there was nudity for no discernible reason sometimes. It sounds like a prudish question/remark, but not definitively assholish to me. If you add in that she's been targeted for her weight, then I suppose one could infer mean intentions easily, but I guess I just don't see it necessarily being there from the question.
    i agree with this, and that's why i didn't see it as an asshol-ish question. mo - if the reporter then asked about lena's weight or something, then yeah, i would agree with you.

and faithanne, i see what you are saying about the scenes in which nudity is being shown. i guess i was specifically thinking about the physician episode that was mentioned upthread. i was just surprised that lena was shown naked more frequently than the guy she was banging. admittedly, i have not watched every episode, only a handful.
    Laurent likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information