Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I'm seeing this tomorrow morning. Apparently part of it was filmed at my local train station, ha.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I think Deathly Hallows will be very good because they're splitting it into 2 films so should be able to include so much more. Anyone else think the series would have worked better as a...series? You know, a mini-series for each book, running for 12 weeks or something. Then all the cool little bits that make the books so interesting would be included and we'd all be happy. If only I worked for HBO it would have been done.
    i've always thought this is what they should have done.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Please no spoilers?!
    The hell...?

What spoilers?!

I assure you...there are none in my post!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Hit By Ban Bus!

this movie did 58 million in one day!!!

I can't wait to see it

I just got back from the movie - much better than the last one but then again i hated the HP5 book. I refuse to believe Sirius got killed off.

Anyhoo..

I agree it's impossible to fit everything from the book in 2.5 hours. Wish they had split this one into two movies too.

PS. Ronald Weasley ftw!

it was hilarious, i even had to stifle a snicker when Dumbledore was killed. I am sad that he is dead but Daniel Radcliffe's isn't the greatest actor in the world to convey sad emotion... his facial contortions were funny.

I shit myself and kicked the chair in front of me when that hand came up and grabbed him in the water.

Overall i really enjoyed it, although felt like it dragged on a bit with the relationships.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I was laughing at the teenage girls in the row behind me who were audibly bawling their eyes out. Which makes me a hypocritical bitch because I sniffled my way through the Fellowship's mourning after Gandalf bit it in Lord of the Rings....

It was great. NOT AGE APPROPRIATE for all the kids under 12 that were in the cinema with us (wtf is wrong with parents who don't think about things like this??? If it's rated M15+ and involves death and destruction, is it really appropriate to take your 5 year old child to? And do you think they'll sit still for that long either?? Do you know how annoying your family is to everyone else in the cinema?!!!)

The teenage love angst/chaos stuff was hysterical. McLaggen chundering on Snape made me snort M&Ms everywhere. Brilliant!

I've read all the books several times (more than I care to admit) and am a huge fan. While it's impossible to include all the details in a 2.5 movie, some of the omissions were huge.

Spoilers in white below:

The entire point of the book is to explore Voldemort. Why leave all of that out (save one scene at the orphanage)? The romances were way overdone IMO. There were subtle undertones throughout the book. This movie smacked you over the head and shoved your nose in it. Some of the dialogue between Dumbledore and Harry didn't ring true. "You need a shave, my friend."? While Harry and DD have great respect for one another, that seemed too informal.

Changing up the events surrounding DD's death ticked me off. It would be a 180 deg about face for Harry to stand by and watch the events unfold without trying to help in some way. Why did they change that? What was the point? He could have wipped his Invisibility Cloak out and the whole thing could have happened like it was written.

Finally, I thought Alan Rickman gave away too much with his expressions when DD was killed. It seemed painfully obvious to me whose side he is on. My husband hasn't read the books though and he was confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I've read all the books several times (more than I care to admit) and am a huge fan. While it's impossible to include all the details in a 2.5 movie, some of the omissions were huge.

Spoilers in white below:

The entire point of the book is to explore Voldemort. Why leave all of that out (save one scene at the orphanage)? The romances were way overdone IMO. There were subtle undertones throughout the book. This movie smacked you over the head and shoved your nose in it. Some of the dialogue between Dumbledore and Harry didn't ring true. "You need a shave, my friend."? While Harry and DD have great respect for one another, that seemed too informal.

Changing up the events surrounding DD's death ticked me off. It would be a 180 deg about face for Harry to stand by and watch the events unfold without trying to help in some way. Why did they change that? What was the point? He could have wipped his Invisibility Cloak out and the whole thing could have happened like it was written.

Finally, I thought Alan Rickman gave away too much with his expressions when DD was killed. It seemed painfully obvious to me whose side he is on. My husband hasn't read the books though and he was confused.
    Your spoiler is spot on. I felt the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ekee View Post
    PS. Ronald Weasley ftw!
    ^I know, right?

He had the best line in the entire movie:

Did you and Ginny <- do it?!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Another thing....(in white)

There were too many rip offs of Lord of the Rings. Of course DD and Gandolf bear some resemblance. But some of the images were identical. The inferi looked like Golum. When the fire started on the lake, I half expected Harry to climb the rock and grab on to the ring. Blah. I really did think the movie was ok but it could have been incredible.

I saw a screening this afternoon. It was good, not great, but for me it was definitely one of the better HP movies.

Helena Bonham Carter IS Bellatrix. I love her (actress and character).
    I must say that Hero Fiennes as the youngest Tom Riddle is damn creepy.

i love the movie when i saw it last night.

Spoiler comment in white:

Yeah, I get what you mean. I liked the film, I think it was good but it was such a departure from the book that I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping.

How much would it have killed them to see Merope Gaunt? Or the rest of the memories? We need to know this stuff to understand Voldemort.

Snape.... my darling Snape. I don't think Rickman gave it away, I think he did it very well BUT those who have read the books *know* what's coming, *know* what that look meant, *know* what "Severus... please!" meant so it was rather obvious to those who know. The only thing that really gave it away was the conversation about "Perhaps you take TOO much for granted?" which was in the books in Snape's flashbacks (which makes me think they'll condense those down in the film DH... poo!)

I don't dislike the film, there are aspects I really like but overall I am a little disappointed with some of the stuff they left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexxifer View Post
    I saw a screening this afternoon. It was good, not great, but for me it was definitely one of the better HP movies.

Helena Bonham Carter IS Bellatrix. I love her (actress and character).
    I must say that Hero Fiennes as the youngest Tom Riddle is damn creepy.
    Is the kid a relative of Ralph?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information