Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I guess for the book readers it's a completely different experience. It would be unthinkable for me having a final film that didn't feature plenty of people who are really only minor characters (but still important), much less two thirds of the main freaking trio, regardless of what you think about the actors in the roles.

For people who don't know the books, I guess it's just one guy trying to kill another guy and everyone else is incidental, with some being more exceptional....going by either what you think about the actors, how their parts are played out (including things left out of films that are in the books) on screen...than others.

My husband went, and he's not read the books. And there were several things that he didn't "get" the significance of because he went in there without any prior knowledge or expectations. Barring whatever he'd gotten from the previous films. Or listening to my son and I discuss.

Snape's scenes were my favorite, hands down. But I love the character and I love Alan Rickman. Even if he is a bit long in the tooth for the age Snape would probably be if they went 100% by the book. And I would soooo do Lucius Malfoy! It weirds me out to say that since he's so vile in the books. But Jason Isaacs....that man does things to me! He makes Lucius hot.
    I am a HUGE Jason Isaacs fan, they couldn't have picked anyone better for Lucius. I actually have a bitter taste in my mouth because I think Lucius should've been more prominent in the films, but blah blah blah - they can't film everything.

Definitely going tonight IMAX style, I'm bringing a box of tissues. I already can't handle myself thinking about it all.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Not going to be able to see it until next week due to our work schedules, I can't wait!

It's making ridiculous amounts of money right now.

"Harry Potter" rings up record $476 million globally

(Reuters) - The final "Harry Potter" film shattered box office records worldwide with a whopping $168.6 million in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales over the opening weekend and nearly $476 million globally.

The staggering domestic total for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- Part 2" is the best three-day opening for a film ever, distributor Warner Bros said on Sunday. It beat the previous record of $158.4 million over the initial three days for the 2008 Batman movie, "The Dark Knight."

Internationally, the finale for "Harry Potter" captured $307 million in 59 countries since it opened last week, another record. That includes weekend sales plus Wednesday and Thursday for some markets.

The prior record for an overseas opening belonged to "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," the fourth installment of the series released in May, which took in about $260 million outside North America in its debut.

The eighth film in the "Harry Potter" series about a teenage wizard and his friends battling against evil also set records for the largest opening-day domestic sales total, largest midnight screenings and largest opening on giant IMAX screens.

The movie took in an average $38,526 on more than 4,300 screens, according to Warner Bros, a unit of Time Warner Inc. It was the first "Potter" film also released in 3D.

"Harry Potter," already the highest-grossing film franchise ever with over $6.4 billion in global ticket sales, is based on the novels of British author J.K. Rowling.

"A CULTURAL EVENT"

The massive numbers for "Deathly Hallows -- Part 2" showed the story still enchants audiences a decade after Harry's first film adventure was released.

"It's become a cultural event," said Dan Fellman, head of domestic distribution for Warner Bros. Young fans stuck with the series as they grew up and the audience expanded over the years, Fellman said, adding that final global ticket receipts could "easily" reach the rare $1 billion mark.

The "Harry Potter" magic dwarfed other films over the weekend, but there were a couple of notable events.

Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" reached a milestone by hitting $41.8 million in domestic sales since its release, making it the highest-grossing film in North America from director Allen, according to distributor Sony Pictures Classics.

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" took the No. 2 spot on U.S. and Canadian box office charts with an estimated $21.3 million over three days, distributor Paramount Pictures said. The film ranks as the year's first film to top $300 million in domestic sales with $302.8 million total.

Rounding out the weekend's top five domestic films were "Horrible Bosses" with $17.6 million, "Zookeeper" with $12.3 million and "Cars 2" with $8.3 million. Disney's new "Winnie the Pooh" movie finished sixth with $8 million.

"Deathly Hallows -- Part 2" and "Horrible Bosses" were released by Warner Bros. Pictures, a unit of Time Warner Inc. "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" was distributed by Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc.

"Zookeeper" and "Midnight in Paris" were released by various units of Sony Corp. "Cars 2" and "Winnie the Pooh" were distributed by Disney's Pixar animation unit, a division of Walt Disney Co.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Vicki Allen)

Source: Harry Potter rings up record $476 million globally | Reuters

Saw this last night (Monday) around dinner time as I really wanted to absorb the dialogue and mood - theater had maybe 20 people in it.

I am glad I did not re-read Deathly Hallows before this movie came out - there were a few things I had forgotten and don't recall anything beign left out or changed as others had mentioned.

Thouroughly enjoyed it and my sister and bro in law (who did not read the books) loved the Snape storyline and the forest scene. I admit a few tears rolled down my cheeks when they show who didn't make it after one of the battles.

The effects were very good - I thought the acting was good - addressing one comment in the thread...I have no problem with Emma Watson as Hermione - and like any series, can't imagine a "last movie" without any of the main characters, and the secondaries as well. I love how Luna and Neville have developed as characters over the years.

Not sure is this would be considered a spoiler so I'll put it in white - as we walked out my son said it would have been better "if Hagrid had died. That would have been sad and shocking." hmmm.

I do have to go back and reread the last few pages (the look into the future) I do remember that a bit differently.

All in all a satisfying wrap up to a wonderful series.

I cried like a big ol baby like I knew I would. I love Alan Rickman as Snape and his scenes in this movie were powerful for me.

From reading the books there were some things I found strange at the end having to do with the Elder Wand and I'm sorry I think they could have done better trying to age them 19 years.

All in all I'm sad it is over.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^ Hermione should have gone with Harry.

I loved the Snape parts of the movie, Alan Rickman stole the show.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    I think I may be the only person on the planet who hasn't seen ANY Harry Potter movie.
    Nope, you are not alone. I haven't seen any of them either.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Nope, you are not alone. I haven't seen any of them either.
    My son asked me the other day if I knew the names of ANY of the characters. I could (obviously) name Harry Potter and Hermione (although, he said I pronounced it wrong) and I kept trying to remember the other kids name but couldn't. My son gave me the clue that the name started with an "R". I guessed "Ralph?".... "Robbie?". My son then was so exasperated he told me it was Ron. I would have never guessed that.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I cried like a big ol baby like I knew I would. I love Alan Rickman as Snape and his scenes in this movie were powerful for me.

From reading the books there were some things I found strange at the end having to do with the Elder Wand and I'm sorry I think they could have done better trying to age them 19 years.

All in all I'm sad it is over.
    I know, right? I was so bothered by that! Harry was the only one who looked the slightest bit aged. Although, I will say it was a sort of boost to the ego to think that moviemakers thought those young faces could pass off as someone my age, lol.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

The actually reshot the entire scene because they looked too made up in the original shoots. I thought they made Harry and Ron look like good pudgy 40 year olds. LOL

See I thought Malfoy was the only one that they made look older and that was because they made him bald. No way he would have been bald look at that lucious hair on his father!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

went to see it Friday. A bit like the book, I both loved it and felt a bit let down. Like, it was great, but it wasn't quite as epic as I expected it to be - y'know?

I also didn't re-read the book before seeing either Part 1 or Part 2 of DH. Didn't want to be comparing book to film and cursing what they left out.

I loved Snape's memories. That was my favourite part of the book (the pay off for several years of arguing with my mother about whether Snape was good or bad - she was convinced at the end of Half Blood Prince that there was no way he was good given those events. I wasn't so sure and was still holding on. So when I read the final book, I did a very undignified note in the column before lending Deathly Hallows to Mum, at the appropriate point, that said "HA! I TOLD YOU SO!!")

I went to see it in 3D and meh....??? It really wasn't worth it. WOuld've looked as good in 2D.

The epilogue was as shit as I was expecting. I hated it in the book, it was worse on screen where they "aged" them by making Ron look like he had a beer gut and giving Ginny a friggin' blow wave. It was TERRIBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    went to see it Friday. A bit like the book, I both loved it and felt a bit let down. Like, it was great, but it wasn't quite as epic as I expected it to be - y'know?

I also didn't re-read the book before seeing either Part 1 or Part 2 of DH. Didn't want to be comparing book to film and cursing what they left out.

I loved Snape's memories. That was my favourite part of the book (the pay off for several years of arguing with my mother about whether Snape was good or bad - she was convinced at the end of Half Blood Prince that there was no way he was good given those events. I wasn't so sure and was still holding on. So when I read the final book, I did a very undignified note in the column before lending Deathly Hallows to Mum, at the appropriate point, that said "HA! I TOLD YOU SO!!")

I went to see it in 3D and meh....??? It really wasn't worth it. WOuld've looked as good in 2D.

The epilogue was as shit as I was expecting. I hated it in the book, it was worse on screen where they "aged" them by making Ron look like he had a beer gut and giving Ginny a friggin' blow wave. It was TERRIBLE.
    I saw it in IMAX 3-D opening weekend, and although I LOVE seeing ANY movie on an IMAX screen, I wasn't blown away by the 3-D. Then I went and saw it in 2-D Friday (yea I'm a sick freak) and I wasn't missing the effects. I feel like they were almost pressured to do it in 3-D, they really didn't need to.

Some things my BFF who I went with on Friday and I took note of:

Old Harry looked like the creepy college music professor who smokes doobies with the young girls in their cars.

Voldemort got fat, we decided he was stress eating. You know, trying to take over the wizarding world is hard work.

I was really bothered the second time around by how much the interior of Hogwarts didn't look like Hogwarts. I get that they were at war, but where did all the super wide gray stair cases come from? I noticed it the first time too but was riding the high of having seen it and that it was perfect.

And this is a general theater complaint...the theater next to us was doing a 3-D showing and there was like a 20 minute delay, and it was really loud so it interrupted our movie. I keep meaning to e-mail Regal about it, because it was balls.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
    ^ Hermione should have gone with Harry.
    I never liked the whole Ginny / Harry thing. I think Luna wouldve worked out much better for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    This is what angered me the second most about the whole film. That epilogue was terrible. Ron did have a beer gut, Ginny had terrible hair, Hermione didnt age a day and what was up with Harry? And to make matters worse they skipped most of the dialogue between Harry and Ron. Its been awhile but Im pretty sure they talked when they got back together. In the movie Ron was reduced to standing there, grinning and chuckling. Man shouldve rubbed his belly too, thats the only way it could get worse. And worst part is no one has any idea what they do! So what, they have kids. Thats to be expected. What do they do for jobs? Werent Harry and Ron the top Aurors or something like that? Sure couldnt tell the way Ron was looking. It was just horrible all around.

The main thing that angered me was the final battle. I saw the movie in 3D and it was alright. I was just annoyed that the final battle with Voldemort, after seven books of building up and who knows how many hours of movie, was reduced to what? Ten minutes? It was beyond short and the climax of how it ended had me staring at the screen like "Seriously? Someone tell me theyre joking." I never read the seventh book, I skipped right to the epilogue, but Im pretty sure there was a heck of a lot of material missing from that scene.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information