Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One

fgg

i haven't read any of the books and i still like the movies.

Saw the movie last night and loved it. Thought it did justice to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    i don't care if that's how the book was, as a film it sucked ass and couldn't stand on its own.
    It's not meant to stand on it's own. It's the culmination of a 7 part (ok, 8) series.

The only people I've heard complaining about this movie are the ones who never bothered to read the books. I have yet to meet someone who has read them and didn't love the movie.

If you make a film off a book and you have to actually read the book to know what's happening in the film (and enjoy it) then the film is a failure in itself.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

You don't have to read the books to understand the film. But you cannot just watch the 7th part in an 8 part series and expect to understand the entire plot.

I loved the film. Could have been longer and fit more in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    You don't have to read the books to understand the film. But you cannot just watch the 7th part in an 8 part series and expect to understand the entire plot.
    Ive sen 1, 2, 3, 5 and the last one.

This one blew chunks.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i don't care if that's how the book was, as a film it sucked ass and couldn't stand on its own.
    The reviewers on the Aussie ABC show At The Movies thought this too and absolutely PANNED it. But personally? That's what I liked most about it. They stopped trying to make these films stand on their own and just made adaptations. We see everything we want to see.

OK, so it's a massive money spinner to stretch it out to two films, but fuck it. I loved it.

Nearly jumped off my seat when Nagini attacked and totally fell into floods of tears when Dobby bit the dust. Mainly because I had completely forgotten about that bit from the books, and only remembered it when the shot of Bellatrix's dagger slowed down to slow mo.... cue me going "OH NO! I forgot about this!! I bawled my eyes out in the books when I read this!! NOOOOOO"

I saw it last night and cried my eyes out over Dobby too! I think they downplayed some parts that should not of been. The part with Harry dancing with Hermoine was weird. I mean I get why they did that but in the book she is much more distraught after Ron leaves. I was really wanting to see the funeral of Dumbledore but I guess it's just as well because of how I reacted to Dobby!

If you make a film off a book and you have to actually read the book to know what's happening in the film (and enjoy it) then the film is a failure in itself.
    Though I completely agree with that, you won't convince anyone who has loved the books that the film isn't good

I don't think this one is as impossible-to-understand-without-having-first-read-the-book as the 6th one was, I can't say for sure because I have read the books, but it seemed pretty well done to me, and I honestly don't see what could be missing for someone who hasn't read the book to understand.

I must admit I had liked movies 5 and 6 (I think I'm alone here :p) but I really think this one was really well done, and I liked seeing the scenes with Voldemort !
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Ive sen 1, 2, 3, 5 and the last one.

This one blew chunks.
    I couldn't care less what you've seen. What have you read?

ETA: Was thinking about this a bit. The first five books could have been stand alone books. JKR wrote them in such away that enough background was littered throughout the early chapters to catch you up to speed. She didn't do that in Book 6 and 7 because she didn't have to. The movies followed suit. As a fan, I was thankful not to have to read the catch up crap and just get to the good stuff.
    Last edited by Bellatheball; November 27th, 2010 at 02:41 AM.

saw this last week. it seemed very promising in the beginning. a lot of actions. but then it got a bit slow for my liking.

potter/hermione kiss scene was so gross. i think i literally said ew at the theater. hahah dnw!

also cracked up at the dancing scene between those two. danrad is so awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    Though I completely agree with that, you won't convince anyone who has loved the books that the film isn't good
    Actually, my ex who is a huge fan of the books, and the films 'til now told me on the phone today that he was massively disappointed with this last one.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I couldn't care less what you've seen. What have you read?

ETA: Was thinking about this a bit. The first five books could have been stand alone books. JKR wrote them in such away that enough background was littered throughout the early chapters to catch you up to speed. She didn't do that in Book 6 and 7 because she didn't have to. The movies followed suit. As a fan, I was thankful not to have to read the catch up crap and just get to the good stuff.
    What I've read is irrelevant. It's a film. Not a book. The medium should be treated as such or else the film fails as part of the medium.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information