Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post

Of course, this is just a story, but if I were in her position, I would off myself before giving them "my baby"

Especially since there's no way they're letting her live after she delivers the child, she'll be either executed or shipped to the colonies.
    But I guess she still has hope, because in times like that I guess everybody clings to the hope that this will pass, that something will happen that will make things better.

I love how she's acting, you can really feel all the complex emotions her character is going through.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Are we ok to talk about this week's episode? I'll put my text in white just in case:

I'm really glad Aunt Lydia took June to see that man's body and it was obvious in this episode that it was really thrown in her face in this episode that her impulsive actions have consequences for EVERYONE involved. It'll be interesting to see where she goes from here because seems like now she's doing the whole "giving in" thing. I was getting really frustrated with June these past couple of episodes, it was making it difficult for me to feel sorry for her while watching everyone around her being punished for her actions.

I know that Janine produced a healthy baby but since she was too much of a problem so they sent her off...will they really just immediately execute June if she does produce a healthy baby? It seems to go against everything they stand for? As long as she's mentally stable (which in comparison to the other pregnant/postpartum Handmaids we've seen she definitely is), why would they stop trying to get her to procreate?

Anyway, I'm with the "I would have offed myself by now" crew. I wouldn't want to bring another child into a world like that and I definitely wouldn't want to grow old to watch my living child go through it. No thanks.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

It's been hard to root for her the first couple episodes this season, but it's coming back to me now.

I feel like they would jump straight to execution because even though she is smart, mentally stable, and physically able to produce a child, she is also a traitor in the eyes of Gilead, and they are having trouble getting her to comply to their laws.

It was interesting to see the comparison between Offred and June's old life especially while she was dating Luke (who was already with another woman at the time). So she's realising her actions have impacted on other people's life. Going by the last episode, June/Offred is now broken and is losing the plot. She's void. What a bleak episode, don't know how this narrative will unfold.

Has anyone seen the latest episode?

Gold Member

I have. This was sad. I know Gilead is meant to be a theocracy that takes it's methods from the Bible, but still...

Spoilers in white I thought the children being presented to the Guardians were boys at first. It didn't click that they were child brides until they mentioned having children and being fruitful.

Gilead benefits only one group, and it is a very select few. Those who didn't fit in previously with society, were outcasts, considered deviants, or simply wanted to be left alone; are made to suffer for being who they are, poor, women, not Christian, LGBT...you name it. I don't understand how Serena could have fought for this, She wasn't just making decisions for herself, she was also taking away autonomy from people who didn't ask for this. I can't have sympathy towards her. You reap what you sow.

The look on Nick's face. I feel so bad. I think that the system has allowed the more unsavory aspects of people's personalities to emerge. People who wanted this type of regime, theocracy, they like that they can do all the things that were previously taboo. Things that anyone who has empathy, and the well being of others in mind would never consider.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by arie_skop View Post
    Has anyone seen the latest episode?
    I just finished watching. Don't want to say too much cause I don't want to spoil anything. But I'm a tad bit confused...
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

A convoluted episode, the wedding made me want to puke. Such a brutal story.

I'm going to ask my question in white text below so as to not spoil it for anyone:

June is still pregnant? I can understand the spotting, but there was a lot of blood after that and also in the tub.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

​Answer in white text:

What she said to her belly indicates the baby is still alive, the way these handmaidens have been brutalized in everyday life they all should be dead by now.

White text:

Yes, going by her speech in the final scene. It's clear the baby survived. Also, the wedding scene was so creepy.

This last episode filled me with so much hope again, after a couple of very bleak ones
    /spoilers in white!/

- First, no Aunt Lydia, which is good for my nerves, I hate this sanctimonious bitch
    - The suicide bombing: Very good cliffhanger, it's only episode 6 so I have a feeling it'll have caused less damages than intended, but I hope we get to see the regime starting to crumble, the people beginning to riot and be less compliant, that'd be good.
    - Serena is becoming more interesting, I have conflicted feelings about her. On the one hand, she did bring all this on herself, even before Gilead she had some stinking ideas. Yet she appears like someone who is actually nurturing and caring. For some reason I like the scenes in her greenhouse
    - I don't quite get what they're doing with June. So last episode she was all lobotomised and stuff, and now she's herself again. I know she went through the shock of nearly losing her baby and that might have sparked her back to her senses, but the change being over 2 episodes only made her "change" and "compliance" in the last one appear like poor character writing. OK I'm nitpicking there :p
    - Serena and June sharing some moments was nice, and hints at the fact that the only thing it would take for the regime to fall is some solidarity. Not gonna happen from Serena, she's too deep in it, but it still gives hope.
    - Oh and what was that scene between June and the commander? Was she playing him?
    - OH AND THAT BLANKET WITH THE DICK HOLE OMFG !!!!!
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

i finally started watching this. i read the book when i was a teenager so i don't really remember enough to notice a lot of the differences but so far i'm really loving this. so well acted.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

OCD

Is the posting spoilers in white an unwritten rule? I don't participate in this thread because my iPad won't convert the white font so I can read it, and getting out an alternative device is a pain in the ass. I thought everyone knew threads about shows contained spoilers? Can we just discuss it and assume people will get caught up before reading? I'm just asking because I want to talk about this show, but I don't want to play peekaboo.

It isn't a rule, but it's something we sort of adopted over the years. I usually do book spoilers in white since it's related media, but I know not everyone has read the book yet and I want them to be able to avoid it if they want to. I usually just avoid threads until I watch the thing.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information