Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

Gold Member

Self righteousness always leads room for hypocrisy. The child will be a bastard. The commander would be an adulterer if the old rules still applied. The chosen ones can do no wrong, according to their "rules". I don't what I would do if something like this began to take shape. Fundamentalist indoctrination is strong.

I think I totally missed something with the other wives in gray which I've since learned on Reddit they are "econowives" - was that a thing last season? I was so confused by them when I was watching last night.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

They weren't really a thing last season, more of a book thing. They are the wives of the lower-class male workers. In the books they wear striped dressed that indicate they do all the jobs of the Marthas, Wives, and Handmaids for their home.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    They weren't really a thing last season, more of a book thing. They are the wives of the lower-class male workers. In the books they wear striped dressed that indicate they do all the jobs of the Marthas, Wives, and Handmaids for their home.
    But the woman June stayed with was fertile right? She had a child? Why wasn't she taken as a Handmaid, why did she get to keep her child?? Was that woman that was always in the Joy's kitchen a Econowife?

I feel like I missed a huge chunk of something! It's driving me nuts.

The woman always in the Commander's kitchen was a Martha, basically a housekeeper.

The handmaids were fertile women who were otherwise sinners or troublemakers. June said something during the episode about how the life of the econowife could have been hers if she hadn't been an adulterer. Their fertility was their redeeming quality that kept them from being sent to the colonies (like her mother) or to Jezebel's (like Moira eventually was). The Econowives were also women who were married in "legitimate" marriages before the current government took over. June was married to a man that was divorced, so her marriage wasn't considered valid and she was a sinner but fertile and so she was made a handmaid. If she had been Luke's first marriage, there probably wouldn't have been any reason to take her and she would have stayed his wife.

This is scary how most of this could become true so quickly ... marriages being dissolved for being considered "illegitimate" (that scene when the university teacher - forgot her name - learns that her marriage to her wife in now invalid, God that was heartbreaking !!!), divorces being illegal again ...
    I am so infuriated when I watch that show, because it makes you realise that what we take for granted could be taken away because of religious bigots who force their beliefs down people's throats (and who dont even abide by it most of the time !!!)
    Fucking hypocrites
    Lalasnake and Froogy like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

The woman always in the Commander's kitchen was a Martha, basically a housekeeper.

The handmaids were fertile women who were otherwise sinners or troublemakers. June said something during the episode about how the life of the econowife could have been hers if she hadn't been an adulterer. Their fertility was their redeeming quality that kept them from being sent to the colonies (like her mother) or to Jezebel's (like Moira eventually was). The Econowives were also women who were married in "legitimate" marriages before the current government took over. June was married to a man that was divorced, so her marriage wasn't considered valid and she was a sinner but fertile and so she was made a handmaid. If she had been Luke's first marriage, there probably wouldn't have been any reason to take her and she would have stayed his wife.
    This is great - thank you for clearing things up for me!

Did anybody watch the last episode?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I did. I actually just got in from my walk and wanted to watch this week's episode. I know they release them on Wednesdays, but the new one isn't on yet. Is there a specific time?

ETA: Duh...I thought today was Wednesday
    Last edited by dksnj; May 8th, 2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

I just watched the 4th episode. I wont include any spoilers so others can catch up. All I can say is that I would probably kill myself before letting any of that happen to me, pregnant or not. (I'm not a mother, so keep that in mind)

I am not familiar with the actress who plays June, but she is amazing. She has a way of communicating without saying anything at all. Her facial expressions are gold.

Her name is Elisabeth Moss. She was also Peggy in Mad Men, and was wonderful in that too, and before that she played the president's daughter on West Wing-she's always great.

She was also raised as a Scientologist-and is apparently still practicing. Last year when the series first premiered there was a lot of press about her beliefs and the hypocrisy of it vs the show.

She can't kill herself, she has to rescue her daughter and she's not about to let the crazies raise her unborn child.

Elizabeth Moss is awesome in HandMaid's Tale, her facial expressions are spot on. Her eyes tell the story!
    Froogy likes this.

Her name is Elisabeth Moss. She was also Peggy in Mad Men, and was wonderful in that too, and before that she played the president's daughter on West Wing-she's always great.

She was also raised as a Scientologist-and is apparently still practicing. Last year when the series first premiered there was a lot of press about her beliefs and the hypocrisy of it vs the show.
    Well, that pretty much destroyed my love for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    She can't kill herself, she has to rescue her daughter and she's not about to let the crazies raise her unborn child.
    She is stronger willed than I.

Her daughter is gone and she isnt getting her back, and that unborn baby belongs to the commander.

Of course, this is just a story, but if I were in her position, I would off myself before giving them "my baby"

I love this show but her being a scientology nut really takes me out of it. I truly do not understand how she reconciles this role with her personal beliefs.

And I wonder who the other xenu warriors are who are working on the show since they can't do anything alone.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information