Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

I thought that episode was a snore fest. I hope things start going somewhere in the final ones because up till now this season is kind of meh
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Elite Member

Watched episode 7. June has some major plot armor. She should be dead.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I thought that episode was a snore fest. I hope things start going somewhere in the final ones because up till now this season is kind of meh

Yep,a lot of style,very little substance.

So,it took 13.5 years but I finally hit 1,000 posts!!!!!
    Waterslide and twitchy2.0 like this.

So... Yesterday's episode was depressing. I knew Aunt Lydia would betray that mother who befriended her in the past. I was expecting the writers to make her sympathetic in the past and then to kill her off in the present, but they destroyed any sympathy I would have had for her when she had no regrets over the betrayal.

As for June, what did the closeups even mean at the end? I really disliked her throughout the episode and when she smiled at the end I wondered if she's even sane now. (And the closeups are really grating on my nerves now.)

In a way, Lydia and June are alike in how they're powertripping and enjoying destroying other people.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Watched episode 7. June has some major plot armor. She should be dead.
    I completely agree. And it's getting more annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    So... Yesterday's episode was depressing. I knew Aunt Lydia would betray that mother who befriended her in the past. I was expecting the writers to make her sympathetic in the past and then to kill her off in the present, but they destroyed any sympathy I would have had for her when she had no regrets over the betrayal.

As for June, what did the closeups even mean at the end? I really disliked her throughout the episode and when she smiled at the end I wondered if she's even sane now. (And the closeups are really grating on my nerves now.)

In a way, Lydia and June are alike in how they're powertripping and enjoying destroying other people.
    I’m super disappointed in Aunt Lydia’s completely unimaginative OITNB-style backstory…and hey, I think that Noelle chick was actually on OITNB because I know her face and I think that’s where I’ve seen her. As for Aunt Lydia – one guy didn’t want to screw her so she somehow busts up a mother and son via emergency removal because the mom feeds the kid potato chips and doesn’t take him to church. Um…that’s not how things work in pre-Gilead, but OK. Why make her teacher and not just a caseworker or judge? And how could she go from dried up old childless hag school marm/family attorney to being an aunt? I hope there is more to this story.

And June is totally the same as Aunt Lydia at this point, though it’s hard to blame her, considering everything...but I also thought we're supposed to sympathize with someone in this mess. But the weird bullying of Ofmatthew is dumb as is the denouement of her entire storyline – she gets shamed once and flips out like that? And I don’t understand why on earth the security people would shoot a pregnant handmaid, especially considering the literal murder Emily got away with and June's mere existence.

Also, June's closeups and contorted faces don't even make any sense anymore. She should learn a poker face. I had to read a recap to understand why she was smirking at Ofmathew during her market meltdown and I guess it's because she realizes that Ofmatthew thinks June and Lydia are talking about her to shame her again and June decides to play it up. And why would Aunt Lydia even have that discussion in the store? Oh right, so she could randomly get a gun pointed at her and not die. Of course.

I feel like this season was written for Days of Our Lives and not a Margaret Atwood show. And despite all the hate I'm throwing at the show, I don't hate it or anything, but I wish they would get their storytelling efforts together a little more.
    Last edited by Waterslide; July 11th, 2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
    Labelwhore likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I’m getting bummed out by the poor writing.It’s also getting repetitive.June needs a plan to get Hannah to Canada instead of showing up where she is and making the situation worse.
    The scene with the three aunts matching up handmaids with commanders over a bottle of wine was interesting,though.
    Waterslide and MsDark like this.

Elite Member

OK -- Gilead sucks, the whole concept is abhorrent -- I need to put that out there first. However, this has become "How the Handmaid Turns" -- it's a soap, just like Waterslide said -- so the horrific nature of the premise is being diluted by the soapiness of the characters. What June is doing is not OK, IMO. She is so completely selfish and shortsighted and mean spirited. I get that this environment would make any person crazy, but bottom line, it is her fault that Martha was killed, not OffMatthew's. OffMatthew was doing her job. She is as much as a victim of this system as anyone. Just trying to survive. Just because she's not rebelling doesn't make her a bad person. June was a straight up bitch to her. Not everything is about June and Hannah. Everyone (handmaid) had a prior life. Everyone lost people. Everyone sacrificed. Everyone is being raped and held against their will. EVERYONE. Get over yourself June. I didn't root for her at all this episode. She created this entire mess.
    Waterslide, MsDark and politesse like this.

^Yep. All of that. It doesn't make June smarter, tougher, or cooler to treat fellow handmaids like that. She would never treat Janine like that.
    tulip likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I don't understand where they're going anymore.
    I mean, June's "big decision" in this last episode, wasn't it what she was set to do at the end of last season when she stayed in Gilead instead of following Emily? I still think this decision didn't make any sense, she could have accomplished much more from Canada than from Gilead, and there was no way the Waterfords would have gotten Nichole back had she stayed with her.
    I wonder what they'll do with the last episode but that season so far is not good.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I think at the end of last season June was only intent on helping Hannah, whereas now she's going to try to help as many children as possible.

I was amused that Janine of all people was the one speaking reason to June.

I don't know where this is all going, either. I was half thinking the season might end with June and Lydia dying in a knife fight together and that would end the show, but I think with this episode we backed away from June's teetering edge of insanity.

There seem to be a bunch of new threads starting up and I don't know if they can or will be tied together by the end of the season. If there is only one episode left, they definitely can't.

For those of you that hate June close ups, beware this week's episode is loaded with them. I thought the entire events of June's walking partner was a waste of time, it connected us with nothing. Just more insane cruelty. I want to see what's going on with the characters in Canada especially Moira.

Oh the scene where Aunt Lydia is making out made me so uncomfortable. Yikes. What was he thinking???
    politesse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    I think at the end of last season June was only intent on helping Hannah, whereas now she's going to try to help as many children as possible.
    It seems that she finally has a plan with trying to steal the children, but I had the impression at the end of last season that she had stayed to help with the revolution or something, "to make Gilead hurt", which is what she comes back to FINALLY in this episode.
    To me that just felt like 4 episodes of going in circles.
    The beginning of the season was good, but now, as Jadestone said, that subplot with the walking partner's sole interest was to lead June to her decision of stealing the babies, which isn't much of a character development or anything. It seems like they also don't really know what to do with the Nichole subplot, which could be interesting, I also want to know more about Canada, how other countries are dealing with Gilead.
    (and what about Nick? And Serena? What was that episode trying to tell us about Serena? She finally has the opportunity to put June on the wall and she covers for her? She can't be needing her THAT much for her TV ops)
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Elite Member

So I guess June has finally realized how selfish she has been and it took crazy old Janine (that poor thing) to bring her to her senses. So now what? This season has been a whole lot of nothing.

Bradley Whitford and Amy Landecker have tied the knot.Whitford, 59, announced the news on Twitter Wednesday with a picture from their Santa Barbara ceremony.
    “In a shocking, totally unearned plot twist, Commander Lawrence married Mrs. McKenzie today in Santa Barbara,” he captioned the photo, referring to themselves as their “Handmaid’s Tale” characters. “The shark may have been jumped, but the couple is thrilled.”
    Reps for the “West Wing” alum confirmed to Page Six that the couple was engaged in March 2018 after Whitford referred to Landecker as his “fiancée.”

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread Information