Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree435Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones Season 8 (The Final Season) (SPOILERS possible)

I am actually glad Dany decided to burn everything down. Honestly had Cersei had dragons the whole continent would have been burning long ago.
    At some point people need to apply Cersei's motto that when you play the game of thrones you either win or you die. Stop offering your enemies chances to make it out alive, especially pregnant enemies which means problems to come in 20 years or so (if you're lucky)

I don't know what they did with Tyrion, Jamie and Varys.
    Varys felt like Littlefinger last season "well, now that we're past the climax and working towards the resolution part we don't have much need for plotters so snip snip"
    Tyrion has become way too compassionate, it's making him dumb.
    Jamie ... WTF men, seasons of character building for ... just crawling back to Cersei? That was such an epic moment in the last finale when he FINALLY turned her back on her! That was the epitome of his character journey, it now feels very out of character for him to go back to her!

Also, regarding Cersei:
    What I liked with the very first season, is that EVERYBODY had a legit reason to fight for the throne (except Renly. Sorry Renly) and Cersei was not "the bad guy" for sitting on it (or fighting for her kids to sit on it) because in her mind she was totally entitled to it. She was perhaps more ruthless, because she definitely pressed her advantage of already being in King's Landing and on the throne, but she was not "bad guy team"
    That subtlety also went down the drain.
    I wish they had stayed consistent with that characterisation, that there is no good guy VS bad guy, because it would have made that final scene between Cersei and Jamie much more "deserved" somehow, and I don't like manichaean characters.
    I think Danaerys is only becoming interesting in that season. Sure I pitied and felt for her before, but she wasn't exactly interesting.
    (and BTW, where do those Dothrakis come from?)
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

^^I know I was under the impression that all Dothrakis died.

Agreed about nearly everything else. Tyrion has always been so detached and logical, it's what made him smarter than everyone else. Now he's all compassionate and emotional, which made him do stupid things. Jamie, too, all that turning on Cersei just to go back to her in the end. Granted, this is what happens in real life, people forget everything and can't help but act on emotion when the end is near and they're desperate. But it doesn't ring true to the style of this show.

I'm glad Danaerys dracarysed the hell out of everything. That really is the only thing she could do to win against Cersei, call her bluff and be more ruthless than her.
    Plus, they killed her baby. AND Missandei. They knew what this was.

Problem is, I wonder if Cersei is really dead, since they didn't show her explicitly dead. I expect a miraculous survival from that crushed-in crypt, the way this is going. I'm not even a book reader, and I think the writers have really fucked this up. Possibly more episodes to properly develop everything could have salvaged it.

I still don't get why they decided on two shorter seasons to conclude the series. From what I read the actors were on board for more, Martin is still supervising, sooooo ... were they afraid of boring people if they didn't deliver 13 episodes of fast paced brutal action?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

With regard to making the series go longer, Benioff and Weiss already have two new projects together that they probably want to move on to. One is the "Confederate" series. The other is a pending "Star Wars" movie.

I think it was a huge strategic mistake to burn Westeros. It has basically horrified and turned her entire inner circle against her. Cersei's own troops had surrendered and at best Cersei might escape the castle with Jamie. Her name will now be associated with the death of innocents even more than Mad King Aerys. Moreover, she looks like she had a complete psychotic break. I don't know what she possibly think she can achieve after this aside from total despotic rule. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Gray Worm - clearly, he didn't have any problem with what she did. I'm guess there will be an immediate clash between the Unsullied and whoever Jon and Tyrion can get on their side, and that Jon will ultimately win.

Tyrion's scene with Jamie clearly illustrates that this is the one person he has an unwavering commitment to. His explanation was basically that Jamie was the only person who got him through a horrific childhood, and never completely abandoned him. Not a family dynasty thing - just a brother-brother thing.

Jamie did not betray Cersei, as far as I can tell. Cersei betrayed Jamie. Let him go up to the Wall, without the promised troops. Could have gotten him killed just for that, but others intervened. I don't see much evidence that she ever really loved him the way he loved her. Almost all her conversations with him were basically emasculating. The guy is kind of a masochist in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I still don't get why they decided on two shorter seasons to conclude the series. From what I read the actors were on board for more, Martin is still supervising, sooooo ... were they afraid of boring people if they didn't deliver 13 episodes of fast paced brutal action?
    I think I read somewhere that D&D are bored with it and wanted to end it.

Well....that episode was something else.

I watched a few youtube videos last night about the various prophecies from past seasons (books) and there is a moment where they show a dragon flying over a smoking Kings Landing. Dany had that vision in season 2 or 3 in the House of the Undying where she was in the Throne room in Kings Landing covered in what looked like snow. I figured that was the "Fire and Ice" and it was the ice part. Nope, just ash from her lighting up Kings Landing.

https://mashable.com/article/game-of...ed-flashbacks/

Yeah, you can argue that she has to be as equally as ruthless as Cersei, but there's a difference between ruthless and genocide. There were supposedly 1 million peope in Kings Landing and how many did she just kill? It was unnecessary.

It's interesting to note that Melisandre had a lot of correct predictions, she was just focused on the wrong King - once she met Jon Snow she knew that he was the rightful king and she focused all her attentions on him.

I did like the moment between Arya and Sandor where he told her to leave and she thanked him and when they were walking through KL like to bad ass assassins. God, the Mountain was horrific.

Clearly, it’s going to end with an uprising against the Mad Queen and Jon taking the throne. Snore.
    palta likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I read an article a bit ago saying that bets are that Bran is the one getting on the Throne, in fact there is so much betting on him they speculated insiders are betting on him because he would not have been the first guess for many people. Not saying that this is going to happen, just what the article was speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I did like the moment between Arya and Sandor where he told her to leave and she thanked him and when they were walking through KL like to bad ass assassins. God, the Mountain was horrific.
    Zombie Mountain was great -- he's worse than the Walking Dead zombies because even a knife to the brain won't kill him. Plus, he's like 8 feet tall.

And how did I not see that that little sh*t Qyburn was going to get his just desserts by the hand of one of his own creations???

I'm a little disturbed that I didn't see Euron Greyjoy flat out die - only that it was implied.

To tie up the show, they are pretty much obligated to bring Bran and Sansa, and probably even Yara Greyjoy back into the final battle with Mad Queen Dany. Will it take place in what's left of Westeros or in what's left of Winterfell?

And where does Bron fit in??? He might as well get off his ass and help Tyrion, because Dany is not going to let him keep Highgarden.
    Waterslide likes this.

Silver Member

I hated the whole thing. All I saw was a bunch of things blowing up in flames and a bunch of people standing around staring stunned or Cersei standing smug. Arya some how managing to survive not just the flames but the smoke and ash. I wanted the pleasure of Cersei dying at the hands of someone who needed to get revenge. I wanted to see Qyburn die at the hands of someone , not just being pushed and hitting his head. I wanted stop see Euron Greyjoy die by Yara Greyjoy and in pain. I wanted to see more of what happened with Ramsey Bolton or Little finger. I understand people need to die but there was no satisfaction in any of these deaths.
    I think Sansa will end up on the iron throne. I think Jon will die trying to kill Dany and somehow they will both end up dead. Brienne will be Sansa’s queens guard an Tyrion might be her Hand ( although he’s been a shitty Hand the last little while). This whole season has been so poorly written and rushed.
    The only thing I liked was the interaction between Jaimie and Tyrion..that was sad and touching .
    C_is_for_Cookie and Beeyotch like this.

Do all Targaryen's have the ability to control dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Do all Targaryen's have the ability to control dragons?
    It seem generally accepted that only Targs can ride dragons but I don't think we know for sure that all of them can. Before Dany's eggs hatched there hadn't been dragons for a while. We also know little about the origins of dragon riders. It also depends if the dragon already had a rider, if that was the case they would not allow another to ride it.

From ADwD:
    "All I know of dragons is what my brother told me when I was a girl, and some I read in books, but it is said that even Aegon the Conqueror never dared mount Vhagar or Meraxes, nor did his sisters ride Balerion the Black Dread. Dragons live longer than men, some for hundreds of years, so Balerion had other riders after Aegon died... but no rider ever flew two dragons."

I enjoyed Qyburn's quick death. And Cersei casually sidestepping the Cleganes was almost comic relief. I didn't care much who killed Euron either, so long as someone killed him. But after YEARS of making us hate Cersei, I definitely feel we deserved a better payoff than that. It was too easy and there was no personal confrontation of any kind. I am glad Arya didn't do it, though. It would have been too much to have her take out the Night King AND Cersei. Jaime going back to her was nauseating, but he's been whipped by her his whole life and he really was the stupidest Lannister, so it seemed like something he would do.

I didn't hate the episode like some of you seem to. It had some good moments and spectacular effects and I definitely wasn't bored. But it did leave me feeling unsatisfied.

Silver Member

No Azor Ahai. No Valenquar. What was the point of all the build up just for the ceiling to fall in?
    C_is_for_Cookie and Beeyotch like this.

Some interesting trivia I read today while looking up other stuff:

Jerome "Bronn" Flynn and Lena "Cersei" Headey were in a relationship that ended so badly that they specified in each of their contracts that they were not to appear in any scenes with each other.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information