Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

I have found it the same for the show. I feel sympathy/empathy for characters in the show that I'm not feeling in the books.

Love both, though!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Elite Member

And I love dragons too....so much more to come.

The books are really, really not the conventional kind - you as a reader is never safe, ugly surprises are at every corner. If it's all rosey and full of hope - it'll be squashed within minutes. If you suspect something horrible is about to happen - it will, only grimmer. I find it weirdly exciting that there are no boundaries with this guy (Martin, the writer) [spoiler-ish part next] he would kill off ANYONE - and he does (by book 3 most of the original persons of interests are gone), he can change the perspective on ANYONE (no clear cut good or evil) and there is no happily ever after. Yet it's story is compelling, I cannot put it down - I want to find out what happens next. It's the horror story of Life as it Happens
    The HBO series is great because they really stick to the books, almost word by word.

What an ep i kind of expected Ned to die but was hoping that a miracle would happend.

- I felt so sorry for Sansa the smile of satisfaction on her face, the nod she gave Ned when he was about to speak and the utter shock she felt when Joffrey ordered his execution.

- The look on Ayra's face and the whole way they filmed this was good. I hope Ayra survives.

- I don't trust the Frey's there was something alittle shifty about Lord Frey (forgot his name). I'm glad he let Robb cross though.

- Tyrion's scene's were brilliant as usual. Loved the drinking game. The actress playing Shae is gorgeous. Tyrion and Bronn? make a great double act and i'm glad that Tyrion is seeing some battle action.

- I didn't expect Jaime to be captured. It'll be interesting to see what Robb does with him. I can't wait to see the negotiations between the Lannisters and the Starks.

- The actress who plays Catlyn does so much with the little they give her. She is brilliant.

- Liked the scene with Jon and the old man. I was surprised to find out that he was so important. I wonder if Jon will stay on the Wall now?

- The Khalessi should have run as Jorah? suggested. I don't see Drago making it; if he dies she is as good as dead. I believe the witch cursed him, Dany is a fool to trust her.

Just wanted to say that the acting in this has been brilliant. Even from the younger actors who have little or no experience.

The writers deserve an award for turning complex novels (i've never read them but i understand they are long and have many characters in them) into one of the best series i have seen in quite some time.

Cannot wait for Monday (i'm watching in the UK) although i will be sad when it ends.

Ned: It was such an utter shock when I read it. I was like whoa what, had to turn back 20 pages and re-read everything... By book 3, as aI said I always expect the worst and think big. It's no fairy tale.

I love the actors, I love the choices and I'm loving the fact that Martin is on the screenwriting board. He has to get on a diet, I don't want him to die before he a, finishes the saga properly and b, helps birthing the tv series - all the books preferably.

Wow, I hate Joffery.
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

Yeah. Its like the ultimate 13 year old experience. When your first real crush completely betrays you...and in this case in the worst possible way.

I remember when I was 14 and I wouldn't sleep with my boyfriend and he told me he understood...

Then publicly broke up with me and told all his friends I was a slut. The look on her face brought back that memory very vividly, heh.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I so wish we had HBO. My husband started reading this series way back when it first came out. He was so excited about the TV series, but couldn't be convinced to actually subscribe to HBO again to watch it! BOO!

I've just started reading book 3. I have to say, I've been totally surprised by how much I like these books. I'll def. be getting the DVD's when they come out.

Oh yeah...Lola, you big 14 year old slut! Ha! I had a similar experience, though I was 16, not 14. He broke up with me to date my best friend because he knew she's have sex with him. Nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Geest View Post
    The books are really, really not the conventional kind - you as a reader is never safe, ugly surprises are at every corner. If it's all rosey and full of hope - it'll be squashed within minutes. If you suspect something horrible is about to happen - it will, only grimmer. I find it weirdly exciting that there are no boundaries with this guy (Martin, the writer) [spoiler-ish part next] he would kill off ANYONE - and he does (by book 3 most of the original persons of interests are gone), he can change the perspective on ANYONE (no clear cut good or evil) and there is no happily ever after. Yet it's story is compelling, I cannot put it down - I want to find out what happens next. It's the horror story of Life as it Happens
    The HBO series is great because they really stick to the books, almost word by word.
    Re your spoiler, OMG! I'm on book two and will be very sad. If he offs Arya, I think I might actually cry.

I do love the casting as the actors are exactly as I imagined the character to be, save for Jon Snow. The actor is so blah with his mouth constantly agape.

I don't know how they're going to pull off Daenarys' new additions. CGI I guess? I so love the series but I am addicted to the books.

I also so appreciate how they stick so much to the books. I wish they had done that with the True Blood series. It's practically word for word with Game of Thrones.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Bron is getting too old for this shit.

;D
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    That was funny. Bron is one of my favorites.

One place I wish they had stuck with the book is Tyrion's fighting scene. In the book he behaved quite courageously. They short sold him having him pass out, doing nothing. Maybe that scene with the horse would have been too gruesome to film though.

Watched the last ep a few weeks ago.

I enjoyed it and i cannot wait for next year. Roll on 2012. Here are my highlights:

Tyrion in this ep knocking down the glass after giving advice. I cannot remember what he said but he was brilliant and Peter Dinkage? was excellent as always. I cannot wait to see him at Kings Landing also he is taking Shay with him. Whether his father allows that is another matter.

Poor Sansa - she's had a real life lesson. I really thought she was going to push Joffrey over the bridge...glad the Hound stopped her. She would only have died anyway. I really felt for her in this ep. I hope she gets freed soon. The actor playing her is really growing on me.

Little Ayra confronting the bully - brilliant. I hope to see her practice some more. She is bound to have an interesting journy. Hope that she can keep up the 'boy' act.

Deanrys dragons - yay!

I have nothing more to say apart from that i have thoroughly enjoyed this series and i cannot wait for Season 2.

I read that Natalie Dormer is signed on to play Magaery Tyrell. I love Natalie, so yay!

Yes! And Christopher Eccelston is in talks to play Stannis
    Do it anyway

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information