Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Final Sopranos' episodes

It was a mafia show.....it was about violence and revenge. IMO. I have never seen a mafia show that reflected on life, they normally reflect on killing, drugs, the law and backstabbing ways.

The ending sucked. Sorry but they did not close it out. Actually the whole last season sucked. The next to the last episode gets you all worked up for this big killing spree between the families and then they don't show us anything but Phil Retardo getting shot, a strange cat, Janice on a deck and Tony eating onion rings. It was pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    It was a mafia show.....it was about violence and revenge. IMO. I have never seen a mafia show that reflected on life, they normally reflect on killing, drugs, the law and backstabbing ways.

The ending sucked. Sorry but they did not close it out. Actually the whole last season sucked. The next to the last episode gets you all worked up for this big killing spree between the families and then they don't show us anything but Phil Retardo getting shot, a strange cat, Janice on a deck and Tony eating onion rings. It was pretty lame.
    Don't forget Phil's head getting squashed.

^^That was priceless....especially the guy spewing his coke!!

Oh shit, I did forget that, Picara. That was good.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

"closure" is such a stupid word, there is no closure in life. there's "closure" for other american craptastic shows but not for ones like this.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^I'm so with you, Alice. This is classic David Chase and I admire him more than ever for doing it his way. And no, not all mafia shows are about drugs, violence and revenge. If that's what anyone got out of this show, I think you should rewatch and scratch beneath the surface.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

What mafia movies have you watched that aren't about violence, drugs or revenge? Please let me know so I can view these movies.

Those are part of the movie, obviously, but not the whole thing. Was the Godfather only about violence, drugs or revenge? Or was it also about family ties, cultural ties, struggling to get along in an alien society, etc.? It's simplistic to say that all mafia films/shows boil down to violence, revenge and drugs.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Oh I agree there are other parts to the movie that are played in, especially family, that's part of a gangster heritage is his family ties . But in the end, gangster movies have always been known for the violence and revenege against who did the family wrong.

I don't see the Sopranos in that light nor many other mob films. I think there is so much more going on and the mob angle simply gives it an outline and structure. But that's just me.

--Sinclair Lewis

Well, I will have to agree with you too because it ended rather weak to be a normal mob movie.

I guess I prefer movies like Scarface, Carlito's Way, Heat and stuff like that where mobsters get what's coming to them.

its hopeless .................

UPDATE!
    Sopranos creator: No movie in the future (but 'never say never'!)

‘Sopranos’ creator says finale isn’t movie setup
    But ‘never say never’ says Chase who explains he wasn’t messing with fans

NEWARK, N.J. - “Sopranos” fans who thought the series’ open-ended conclusion was a setup for a movie may be in for disappointment: Creator David Chase says it isn’t so.

Chase went to France before the airing of the much-debated finale of the HBO series because he wanted to avoid what he called “all the Monday morning quarterbacking.” But like a true New Jersey loyalist, he granted one interview to The Star-Ledger of Newark, which posted his comment early Tuesday on its Web site.

“I don’t think about (a movie) much,” he told the paper. “I never say never. An idea could pop into my head where I would go, ‘Wow, that would make a great movie,’ but I doubt it."
    “I’m not being coy,” he added. “If something appeared that really made a good ‘Sopranos’ movie and you could invest in it and everybody else wanted to do it, I would do it. But I think we’ve kind of said it and done it.”

Chase said he would leave it to fans to interpret the show’s last scene for themselves. It featured the members of the Soprano family arriving for dinner as Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin”’ plays. Others in the restaurant include a man in a Members Only jacket who goes to the bathroom, which some fans have interpreted as a nod to the scene in “The Godfather” in which Michael Corleone retrieves a gun from the bathroom before a shooting.

As the music and tension build, the screen suddenly goes silent and dark.
    “I have no interest in explaining, defending, reinterpreting, or adding to what is there,” said Chase, 61, who grew up in North Caldwell.

“People get the impression that you’re trying to (mess) with them, and it’s not true. You’re trying to entertain them,” he said. “Anybody who wants to watch it, it’s all there.”

Another problem with a movie is that so many characters died in the last season. Chase said he has considered “going back to a day in 2006 that you didn’t see, but then (Tony’s children) would be older than they were then and you would know that Tony doesn’t get killed. It’s got problems.”
    Chase also elaborated on how he decided to make the Journey classic the last music played on the series.

“It didn’t take much time at all to pick it, but there was a lot of conversation after the fact. I did something I’d never done before: In the location van, with the crew, I was saying, ‘What do you think?’ When I said, ‘Don’t Stop Believin’,’ people went, ‘What? Oh my God!’

“I said, ‘I know, I know, just give a listen,’ and little by little, people started coming around.”
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; June 12th, 2007 at 12:18 PM.

Paulie's superstition in general and over the cat in particular cracked me the hell up!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^ YEAH HE'S ALWAYS FUNNy, as for Chase, he's a "miserable prick"

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread Information