Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Final Sopranos' episodes

Quote Originally Posted by simplekindoflovely View Post
    Don't worry, Picara. You're not the only one who felt that way about A.J.. Even my own mother turned to me and said, "Well, really. This isn't the time to be acting like a pussy."
    Hahaha, your mother's funny. I don't think AJ has what it takes to be a mafia man, the whiny baby.

He's the object lesson for what happens when dysfunctional families don't face up to their faults -- there was one episode when Tony said as much. That doesn't make him any less annoying, tho.

Bronze Member

AJ manifests all the cowardice and withdrawal that his own parents and sister have, but cover up with layers of denial and swaggering.
    Tony is too scared to face up to what his mother did to him and instead takes out his rage on people too powerless to stand up against him, including his own son.
    Carm is too cowardly to face the fact that her entire identity is rooted in blood money and that she is married to a murderer and sociopath.
    Meadow is too much of a coward to face the fact that her parents are morally bankrupt thieves and murderers and her whole existence is based on lies and coverups.
    The 'black sheep' of any family always manifests the traits that the other family members are most ashamed of and work hard to conceal. Same with AJ. The only difference between the others and AJ is that AJ is open with his cowardice.

^^Precisely. Well said.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Very well said Bonham. I still want to be a NJ mobster, though.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

The 'black sheep' of any family always manifests the traits that the other family members are most ashamed of and work hard to conceal.
    wow that is so true, I never realized that before!

But do you want to be a NJ mobster, Alice, or is the stripping paying too well for you to switch careers at this point? There is the Bada Bing, you know.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

why can't i be both?!

Ahhhh...good call...a mobster by day, stripper by night. Where to the blow jobs fit in? In the back room, where you have to blow Georgie (when he isn't busy being beaten up by Tony or Ralphie) in order to consort with the high rollers?

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bonham View Post
    AJ manifests all the cowardice and withdrawal that his own parents and sister have, but cover up with layers of denial and swaggering.
    Tony is too scared to face up to what his mother did to him and instead takes out his rage on people too powerless to stand up against him, including his own son.
    Carm is too cowardly to face the fact that her entire identity is rooted in blood money and that she is married to a murderer and sociopath.
    Meadow is too much of a coward to face the fact that her parents are morally bankrupt thieves and murderers and her whole existence is based on lies and coverups.
    The 'black sheep' of any family always manifests the traits that the other family members are most ashamed of and work hard to conceal. Same with AJ. The only difference between the others and AJ is that AJ is open with his cowardice.
    Great post. I think AJ is so completely self-absorbed that he doesn't care who knows he's a coward hence his openness. When Tony told him that his uncle was shot, all he could think about was how it would affect his mental health. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. But I agree, all the other members of the family are in deep denial as to who they are.

I've heard speculation that Carm is going to get it in the end. She's not my favorite, but I would hate to see that. She's put up with a lot living with Tony. I hope she gets a better ending.

Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

Actually, I think Tony has been a very cruel and abusive father to AJ. Tony threw a lot of money at AJ and used that to justify a lot of neglect and abuse. Being a rich father is very different from being a real father to one's son.
    Also, there is a HUGE difference in how Tony treated Meadow and AJ. Meadow was consistently given affection and respect from her dad. Remember how Tony defended Johnny Sack crying at his daughter's wedding and said that when it came to daughters, all bets were off?
    Tony has never ever loved AJ the way he loved and cherished Meadow. The only way AJ can ever rebel against all those years of verbal and emotional abuse and threats as well as implied violence is by completely withdrawing from the family and refusing to co-operate in their corrupt lifestyle.

^^Yeah but he sure likes the benefits of that corrupt lifestyle. He sits on his ass, watching cartoons in the big house that blood money bought. I'd have a little respect for AJ if he left the family and went out on his own. He spouts all this idealistic crap, but when it comes to walk the walk he can't do it.

Elite Member

^^he did though. he wanted to support blanca and her kid. he stepped up and got shit on. whats the point doing it again?

I guess for your own self-respect. I don't know, but if I found a household so disdainful, I wouldn't be there.

Elite Member

i think its more his life. i think it must be tough for kids like AJ. I mean, his sis is the obvious favorite but as Meadow herself said, he is the son in an Italian family. he cant handle the pressure. his dad is a huge boss and he never exhibited the potential to suceed his dad. he has a lot of pressure and then once he gets a job, falls in love, wants to start school, it all falls apart again.

Thread Information