Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Extreme Couponing on TLC

My 12 year old just said "Jesus, they really WILL put anything on tv".
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i just watched last weeks episode. The lady bought 2k of groceries for like 5 bucks. she also had stupid blonde hair with brown underneath, and the most hideous pair of thigh high vinyl boots. she was a joke.
    She also made sure she had her face all tarted up with five tons of makeup before she went into the store. She said she wanted to look like she had a lot of money, even though her husband lost his job, etc, etc.

Her hair looked like shit. And those boots? Puh-leeze.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    My 12 year old just said "Jesus, they really WILL put anything on tv".
    Yes. And I pay $70 a month to get this shit via satellite?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i keep reading the thread title as 'Extreme Coupling on TLC'
    Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    That's probably on the fall schedule.
    I'd actually watch this, it sounds interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

These people are nuts. I'm all for saving money on groceries, but damn, these people are OCD with it. They plan their store trips with the precision of a military operation. I was amazed (but not in a good way) at that that one young blonde gal with the husband and little girl who separated her stuff into 12 separate transactions so she could maximize her coupons. That cashier looked like she was about ready to strangle her!
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

She also made sure she had her face all tarted up with five tons of makeup before she went into the store. She said she wanted to look like she had a lot of money, even though her husband lost his job, etc, etc.

Her hair looked like shit. And those boots? Puh-leeze.
    Right?! She seemed a bit cukoo.

It so IS a form of hoarding. (Or is it GREED?!) Out of all the people they profiled, there was only that one guy who gave to his church's food bank. But still. Share some of that free shit, man! There are people out there who are unemployed, have no cash at all and need body wash, deodorant, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.

And also, I'd like to know where in the hell these people shop? Every grocery store I've gone to has a cow if I want to use 2 separate coupons for one item. Geez! And most grocery stores only double or triple the first coupon and the rest are at face value.

Whatevs.

Coupons here always say one per item. I guess the rules are different in the US?

Remember when you could actually fucking LEARN things on "The Learning Channel" instead of gawking at retarded freakshow losers
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Coupons here always say one per item. I guess the rules are different in the US?
    As far as I know, they are not. Many coupons here have disclaimers at the bottom saying, "Only 1 product per transaction", or "May not be used in combination with other offers".

This may have been said here already, but some stores

1) accept other stores' coupons
    2) accept expired coupons
    3) automatically double the face value of coupons
    4) offer instant coupons at the register, even when you already have a coupon
    5) offer bonus discounts for shoppers with a store discount card
    6) offer cumulative bonus points that provide further discounts depending on how often you shop at a store with your discount card

If you do your research and are able to combine items 1 through 6, you could probably do some pretty crazy price reductions at the cash register.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    No, for the most part it's the same. These people are just obsessed with and must spend a lot of time finding all the loopholes and exceptions. I watched this once and I couldn't figure out how they did it. I consider my mom a genius shopper--she raised a family of 6 on a meager income by finding impressive bargain deals plus coupons and buying as much as she could for items we'd need--but she's never been able to buy a shitload of stuff for free like these people. I guess they sort of glossed over the exact explanation for how they did it and now I'm wondering how to get all this shit for free, I wanna work the system too! But I refuse to dumpster dive to do it.

The Today Show features a family every so often that gets practically everything free. The Economides (sp?) family - mom, dad and 4 kids. They are crazy obsessive with deals, and get their food, clothes, entertainment, practically everything for free. I don't know how they do it
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

i'm not so sure that these people are completely sane. i mean, 200 candy bars and 75 bottles of mustard (the woman who got the mustard totally forgot her husband doesn't even like mustard! wtf?!!)...what kind of meal is that going to make?

i look at coupons in the paper, but all of the food ones are for junk food...mostly packaged stuff full of weird ingredients, or one-use disposable cleaning products (wipes, disposable toilet brushes, etc.), neither of which i use. i want coupons for good stuff...organics, recycled tp, local food.

oh, and one of these women is being investigated for coupon fraud. she does some kind of thing where she uses coupons on different items than they are for (some kind of upc code fraud something or other).
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Its the fine print. One item per purchase is not the same as one item per transacation. So if you buy 5 bottles of mustard in one transacation, you purchased 5 items. You can combine those coupons with coupons from the store (Target is actually the biggest retailer to do this) and you can get some savings. I have noticed that now on P&G coupons, it states no more than 4 coupons per transaction.

None of my stores here double/triple coupons.

Here's what I learned from a friend that coupons, but not to this extreme. You can buy coupons on ebay. Whowouldathought? So this is something I started. I quit drinking soda in January and now drink Propel instead, mainly cuz I need some flavor and can't do just plain water. I bought 30 get $1 off 2 coupons on ebay for $4. Target had propel on sale for $.79. So after the coupons I used, including what I paid on ebay, they ended up being less than $.30 each. And, if you go to Target, they give you a register coupon for your next purchase which was $2.00 of the purchase of 10 propels, so I used those too. I just saw yesterday that walmart had propel for $.50 each, meaning they would be free with those coupons. That's some crazy shit.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i keep reading the thread title as 'Extreme Coupling on TLC'
    That's probably on the fall schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    I'd actually watch this, it sounds interesting...
    Strange Sex : TLC: TLC

"Strange Sex explores mysterious conditions, unusual fetishes and the kinky science behind sexual attraction. The show exposes individuals willing to divulge the obstacles, frustrations and embarrassment they face as they cope with their sexual conditions."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    As far as I know, they are not. Many coupons here have disclaimers at the bottom saying, "Only 1 product per transaction", or "May not be used in combination with other offers".

This may have been said here already, but some stores

1) accept other stores' coupons
    2) accept expired coupons
    3) automatically double the face value of coupons
    4) offer instant coupons at the register, even when you already have a coupon
    5) offer bonus discounts for shoppers with a store discount card
    6) offer cumulative bonus points that provide further discounts depending on how often you shop at a store with your discount card

If you do your research and are able to combine items 1 through 6, you could probably do some pretty crazy price reductions at the cash register.
    Oh I see. Thanks Mohandas and others who responded.

We don't have as many food retailers as in the US so there isn't anywhere near this level of competition amongst grocery stores. There's none of this expired coupons, double /triple the values, etc.

We also don't do the points with the grocery stores. It's starting to happen at Sobey's but it's not the same. Without the same level of competition there is no incentive for retailers to compete for consumer dollars to the extent that you see in the US.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information