Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: 'Downton Abbey' Renewed For Fourth Season

Well, count me in, I found it deeply disturbing and sad and Kleenex-worthy. I didn't feel it was contrived, honestly. I was reading sites where they had no clue it was coming and only one or two got the foreshadowing, so it was interesting to read people's reactions as it happened in the US. On the other hand, even if I hadn't known, I would say the foreshadowing was laid on pretty thick and I don't know how people didn't see it coming at least a tiny bit. The scene itself was the most upsetting to me, especially Lady Mary's face. Usually they just have a few people bawling their eyes out around someone who drifts off peacefully, so I thought it was interesting to see the different reactions of everyone. I also loved the reactions of Barrow and Maggie Smith (of course). If I had to say something was a bit affected in the plot, it would be the dueling doctors, because I can't believe anyone would have been as thick as Sir Phillip. Doctors can be egotistical pricks and dismissive, but that was a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I had nightmares about it. Seriously.
    I know how you feel! I didn't have nightmares over this, but I've had them over other TV shows/movies/books. It's awful!

Novice, I keep forgetting about that Great Houses show, but I think I can find it online. I love that stuff.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I think Novice might be referring to the actual last episode of season 3, not the last US airing? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) They're ahead of us in the UK (and I've caught them via download), where season 3 has already finished airing.
    Waterslide likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Ah, that makes sense, Tati. I thought the entire season was already finished in the UK when it started here in North America. I thought Nov meant the one that aired last here. I don't know why, I why just confused myself.

I was going to watch ahead, but I'm trying to space it out otherwise I just get depressed I have no more episodes to watch. But now I'm curious about that last episode.....
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I just started watching this show this past weekend. I just started season 3 so I have not read the posts here because I don't want it spoiled. I am addicted!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I think Novice might be referring to the actual last episode of season 3, not the last US airing? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) They're ahead of us in the UK (and I've caught them via download), where season 3 has already finished airing.
    Yeah, sorry, I thought that you'd already discussed Sybil's death? Just call me confused.
    Free Charmed.

What happened to cousin Patrick - when he came back burned - or at least someone pretending to be Patrick. All the sudden he is gone and not mentioned again.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I thought that you'd already discussed Sybil's death? Just call me confused.
    You can't mind me, I'm always confusing myself. lol

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    What happened to cousin Patrick - when he came back burned - or at least someone pretending to be Patrick. All the sudden he is gone and not mentioned again.
    That was a bizarre story. I think it ends up that he was probably someone who worked for the real cousin Patrick and stole his identity, and thought he'd try to pull a fast one on the family. It was oddly pointless.

I was able to watch Downton for the first time on Netflix, but they only had season 1. By July, they won't be carrying it streaming at all, because Amazon Prime struck a deal with PBS.

Amazon unveils exclusive 'Downton Abbey' deal with PBS

By Alistair Barr

SAN FRANCISCO | Fri Feb 1, 2013 1:54pm EST

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc said on Friday that it struck an exclusive deal to distribute seasons of the hit TV show "Downton Abbey" to members of its subscription-based video streaming service.

Beginning June 18, Amazon's Prime Instant Video service will be the exclusive subscription service for streaming Season 3 of "Downton Abbey," as part of a new content licensing agreement with PBS Distribution, a unit of The Public Broadcasting Service.

The online retailer said that later this year, no digital subscription service other than Prime Instant Video will offer any seasons of "Downton Abbey."

The phenomenally successful British period drama, now in its third season, has become both a critical success and a cult favorite among its many U.S. fans.

Written by Oscar-winning scriptwriter Julian Fellowes, the series follows the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants at an impressive country estate in the early 1900s.

Prime Instant Video will continue to be the exclusive subscription home through Season 4 and, if produced, Season 5 of the show, the company added.

The deal is the latest effort by Amazon, the world's largest Internet retailer, to expand in digital content and take on Netflix Inc, the leading online video subscription service in the United States.

Amazon is spending heavily on licensing deals for movies and TV shows to attract more viewers to Prime Instant Video. The service is offered free to subscribers of Amazon Prime, the company's broader online shopping subscription program, which costs $79 a year for two-day shipping in the United States.

Netflix and rival Hulu Plus, owned by Comcast Corp, News Corp and Walt Disney Co, currently offer some seasons of "Downton Abbey."

As of July 1, no "Downton Abbey" seasons will be available on Netflix, according to a person familiar with the agreement between Amazon and PBS.

By obtaining exclusive rights later this year to stream "Downton Abbey" on Prime Instant Video, Amazon is hoping more people will sign up for its broader Prime service. When that happens, shoppers often spend more on Amazon.com, analysts say.

Amazon's choice of "Downton Abbey" was likely driven by an analysis of buying behavior by existing customers, a strength of Amazon's.

The company noted that Seasons 1 and 2 of the series are the most-watched TV seasons of all time on the Prime Instant Video service already.
    "Our Prime customers have spoken," Brad Beale, director of digital video content acquisition for Amazon, said in a statement. "The series is consistently in our top most watched TV shows each week."
    (Editing by Matthew Lewis)
    Amazon unveils exclusive 'Downton Abbey' deal with PBS | Reuters
    ~Manx Mouse

I watched it all On Demand because I have streampix from Comcast. I know that the current season is available for free at, Watch Online | Masterpiece | PBS

Are you all caught up now sluce?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Yep. Not loving season 3 so far but am hopeful it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Ok I shit you not, I'm just watching the Christmas special and that piper played at my wedding! He's super talented, and such a sweetheart. He did it for a favour since he's friends with my dad
    I'd forgotten you posted this! I was able to watch the Christmas special, minus the last 5 minutes. Kari, that is so cool! Was the show really filmed in Scotland at that point? Is that near where you live? Scotland is so gorgeous, I'd never want to leave all that scenery. Such a cool story about how the piper played at your wedding. If I lived in that place, I want a piper walking through before dinner, too. And it would also be the best alarm clock for me, that's for sure.

You'll love Anna in the Xmas special. And that is all I've going to say other than its sooooo cute!
    As ditzy as I have been in this thread, I had no problem figuring out what you were talking about regarding Anna. It was truly sweet! Thank you for giving me the heads up on that, because I really did like that scene a lot.

Bwahahahaha! I thought the last Espinosa was very contrived.

However, we're now watching Great Houses With Jullian Fellows (documentary) & it's very interesting!
    Now that I am not confused (as much)...so as I said, I saw all of it minus the last 5 or 10 minutes. Then I went on Youtube and tried to find those final moments and I can't tell if I'm missing some major plot point. I think I agree with you that it was contrived, but I also feel like I'm missing some subtle look or phrase that will make the whole thing more poignant. Maybe if it hadn't randomly stopped when it did, I'd have a coherent thought on it, but instead, I'm just sort of underwhelmed.
    ~Manx Mouse

Sluce I didn't enjoy season 3 as much either, I'm hoping next eason will be better.

Yeah Waterslide the Christmas special was filmed at Inveraray Castle, which is in my former neck of the woods! It is so beautiful there, I really miss the scenery. The Castle looks like something out of a disney movie when you see it in person, they fly flags from all the turrets and the grounds are immaculate. The Duke of Argyll lives there with his family, he's a bit nutty but seems to be a lovely guy. He's an elephant polo champ, no joke. Oh and I found out my friend - who is the Duke's gamekeeper - shot the deer in that episode lol. Piping indoors is waaaaay too loud for my tastes unless you're in a big hall or something, Ian was piping outside the venue as everybody walked into the venue. Sigh. I miss home!
    Waterslide and sluce like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm looking forward to the Christmas Special/Finale. For me, most of the season, last ep being an exception, has felt kind of meh to me. There were a few good moments, and many great one-liners, but for the most part it was far too sedate and tidy. Plus Matthew and Robert get on my last nerve.

It could be so much better next season if they step outside of Fantasyland and add a bit of verisimilitude. By this time in Downton Universe, the great houses were drastically cutting their staffs to economize. Staff like valets, ladies maids, under butlers, 1st and 2nd Footman--those kinds of non-essential positions were all but eliminated. More essential staff was bare bones. Butlers, cooks, and a minimum of maids and gardeners had to be retained to keep the place running if they managed to hold onto their estates at all. As Matthew is already talking about ousting the farmers on the estate to maximize profit it's only a matter of time before some of the beloved staff are cut loose.

Which doesn't mean the majority have to leave the show, and they won't if DA ptb know what's good for them. There is Downton Village they can utilize to situate some of our favorite characters, which would also give us a better, more intimate view of the world of 1920's England outside of the Great House. I love stories set in cozy little English villages and would love to really sink into the atmosphere of Downton. DA is very good at immersing the viewer that way.

One idea for season 4--, doesn't Bates own the house in London where his wife died? If I'm not mistaken they have a tenant? Why not just have Bates and Anna sell the place and buy a pub in the Village? Bates is a born barkeep, inscrutable but sympathetic. Anna could serve but we know she'll end up unobtrusively running the place. A pub could provide employment for some of the staff, and we could keep up with the rest when they stop in for a pint.

I think Daisy will bring Miss Patmore with her to the farm she inherits from William's father. Is the farm on the estate or is it independent?

I think Ethel should move to London to give us an 'in' there. It would be a hoot if she lives with her Aunt and they have adventures and go to jazz clubs and fabulous parties. I just hope she doesn't set her cap for Tom. Tom is a much better match for Mary---HOT--- and they could raise their kids as siblings.

EDIT: Aaaand I just realized that for *reasons* Matthew won't be running the show. In any case, Tom is now the Estate Agent in charge of those kinds of decisions, and on this he and Lord Grantham agree: There won't be any ousting of Farmers. But that doesn't mean the household staff won't have to be cut.
    Last edited by Sasha; February 15th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Waterslide likes this.

Well, Matthew won't be around anymore!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Well, Matthew won't be around anymore!
    I thought it was a bit gratuitous for them to end with such disturbing imagery. It was also out of character for the show, unless they mean it to signal a turn toward a more gritty outlook.

Tom is cute but he needs to man up just as Mrs. Hughes politely advised him to do.

So I wonder if Ethel really means to become the mistress of her married editor? Wow, talk about a grittier outlook..

It'll be fun having Rose at Downton next year. I hope she keeps hands off Tom cuz I'm shipping him too hard with Mary right now. Fiery Irish revolutionaries scream virility which is exactly what the fiery Miss Mary needs in a man haha.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information