Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: 'Downton Abbey' Renewed For Fourth Season

I haven't seen House of Eliott in forever, and I loved it at the time, but I can't remember much of the finer points. Yesterday, I glanced at Amazon and the box sets seem to be going for a lot of money. I was hoping to find it streaming, but it's probably at the library anyway. Or on Netflix, which I hate. lol But I'm going to try to watch it again.

Sasha, those dresses were the exact ones I was thinking of.

I've watched Season 2 of DA finally, so now I'm so excited about Season 3. Season 2 was a bit depressing in parts and I think a few things got wrapped up a little too neatly, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean from the picture. I always think of them as being more narrow compared to plump Victorian women. I suppose it's not their bodies or the corseting that were straight up and down, but the lines of the dresses. I know the women were corseted to kingdom come, but the whole look was more narrow. I can't picture a Jennifer Lopez-like creature in one of these dresses, but she'd probably have been relatively ok earlier on.

I guess this girl is more voluptuous that not.

But I usually think of dresses like the one on the right.

I would adore being able to do that, though I do not sew, so that's a problem. lol I could give the embroidery and beading a whirl though.
    I understand what you're saying - see the busk on the corset picture I posted (the steel bit that runs down the front) see how straight it is? The Edwardian woman aimed for an S silhouette around that.

THe picture you posted was 1912,, which is the very very end of the Edwardian era - although some say that ended in 1910.

For me the Edwardian era is (although American) illustrated very well by the Gibson Girls.

See the rounded sloping shoulders? The plump heart-shaped faces? Thats an Edwardian figure.
    Now look at Lady Mary...

There is no soft plumpness, and that (to me) spoils it. Yes I know that not everyone was plump, etc, I even have Victorian petticoats that have a 28 inch waist & are suitable for someone of my height (5'8") os I understand the stereotypes but.... there it is.

Those House of Worth dresses look way late to me, especially considering what he was designing in 1900-1905-1910...
    1900 / 1905 / 1910

These dresses are not the dresses of the 20s. They have waists, shaping, etc.

1900-1905 Worth ballgown

1902 Worth / 1903 Worth / 1905

There are loads more examples of edwardian dress here & they look nothing like the late 1900-teens 1920s stuff posted.
    Enchanted Serenity of Period Films: Gallery of Edwardian Fashion - AntiqueDress.com
    Last edited by Novice; December 14th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Free Charmed.

I totally get it now, the pictures helped put it into perspective for me. Some of those years blend and overlap for me, so I stick some of the Gibson Girl fashions earlier than I should. I could have even thought more Mary Poppins. lol Even here, there's more of that hourglass shape to the dress.

The reason that I love this very general time period so much (I mean 1890s to 1920s, not just "Edwardian") is because in women's fashions you start to see in retrospect all the little clues leading up to the 20s fashions.

I love all the Worth dresses, I do see a definite difference between the later ones and the early 1900s ones. I also never consciously realized why the waist areas often looked slanted or curved upwards (or give an illusion that they do), I guess it was purposely done to give the appearance of being top heavy and to exaggerate the hips and backside.

And by the way, thanks for the link. I love that lingerie over there!
    Novice likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Ah! My work here is done *happy sigh*
    Waterslide likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I haven't seen House of Eliott in forever, and I loved it at the time, but I can't remember much of the finer points. Yesterday, I glanced at Amazon and the box sets seem to be going for a lot of money. I was hoping to find it streaming, but it's probably at the library anyway. Or on Netflix, which I hate. lol But I'm going to try to watch it again.
    I was surprised to see that it's still pretty expensive compared to other BBC shows, I guess they didn't produce a lot of DVDs like they did with the first season of Downton, which is just $17 and streams for free with Prime. Downton is a much better show and certainly visually is very luxurious but I loved the sisterly affection between Bea and Evvie, as well as their struggle to to open up their own fashion house.

Does anyone know if Dan Stevens will be back for Season 4 of Downton? He hasn't committed yet and has been talking a lot about moving on from the character. I don't think they have binding contracts in the UK like the do in Hollywood where you have to commit from 5-7 seasons of a TV show. It would be hard to do the show without Matthew though. (Just read the Downton Christmas article on page 1, huge spoiler there about another character!)

I finally got to watch DA streaming on Prime. I was going to buy the first two seasons for my birthday and then the price went up. Then they had a boxset which was going came out later than my birthday, but it was more expensive than the earlier deal, so I didn't buy it. Then I thought screw it, I'll get it for Christmas, so I put it in my cart at Barnes and Noble and before I checked out, they managed to sell out and only had the bluray. I didn't even want the boxset, because I feel like I should just wait and get all the seasons if I do that, but I wanted to see it. In the meantime, I'd tried to get it from the library with no luck. Then I tried to watch it streaming at PBS and it wouldn't work. Supposedly they were rerunning Season 2 on PBS, but I could never find it. Then I kind of ended up getting Prime as part of an early Christmas present (and I got a deal on the Prime iteself, too), so Downton was the first thing I went to. It was a pain in the neck, but I'm just happy I finally got to watch it. /pointless story LOL In between all that I was trying to avoid spoilers.

Please don't tell me Matthew is not coming back! That would be awful. I really like him, but to be honest I suppose maybe the actor doesn't really get the juicy storylines, he's just sort of part of them. He sounds like he's got a bit of ego, too.

*possible spoilers?*

Is dapper Dan too cool for Downton? Rumours of his exit grow as he snubs cast party and raises American profile in upmarket magazine shoot

By Sharon Churcher

PUBLISHED: 17:15 EST, 15 December 2012 | UPDATED: 17:15 EST, 15 December 2012

It was supposed to be a triumphant celebration of Downton Abbey’s success in America.
    But there was one, very notable absence from the glamorous Manhattan party thrown for the cast last week – Dan Stevens, who is rumoured to be on the verge of quitting the ITV series in which he plays Matthew Crawley.
    Michelle Dockery, who has just been nominated for a Golden Globe award for her portrayal of his wife Lady Mary, swanned in to the Museum of Modern Art event in a daring off-the-shoulder gown.

Changing gear: Dan Stevens in Town & Country magazine. He is rumoured to be leaving Downton Abbey

She was joined by a host of other stars from the hit show, which begins its third series in the US next month: Hugh Bonneville, Elizabeth McGovern, Jim Carter, Sophie McShera, Joanne Froggatt and Rob James-Collier.
    Stevens, however, decided against the three-hour soiree – arranged by fashion designer Ralph Lauren and Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter.
    Instead, he attended a £1,500-a-head gala to raise funds for New York Public Library.
    He was a guest of Town & Country, a rival publication of Vanity Fair. The Cambridge-educated actor, 30, has repeatedly hinted that he finds Downton’s plot twists, in which he fought impotence before marrying Lady Mary, too lowbrow.

Moving on? Stevens has repeatedly hinted that he finds Downton's plot twists too lowbrow

Gala: Michelle Dockery and Elizabeth McGovern at the Downton party which Stevens did not attend

In Town & Country’s January issue he poses in dark glasses in Manhattan, modelling clothes including a £4,600 Brioni three-piece suit, £1,500 Paul Stuart coat and £600 shirt, and £400 Dries Van Noton shoes.
    The article extols his literary credentials, enthusing: ‘Asked to be a judge of this year’s Man Booker prize, Stevens, who happens to be fluent in French and German, read 145 novels over a period of seven months.’
    Dan Stevens did a photo shoot and interview for Town & Country

Stevens, it adds pointedly, is famed in America ‘for making moral rectitude sexy on Downton Abbey, but across the pond he’s known as the ultimate multihyphenate: an actor-writer-thinker-producer-critic who pulls it all off with panache’.
    A spokesman for Town & Country said tactfully that his presence at its party might have been a simple case of honouring a prior commitment: ‘The Library gala was supposed to be held in October, but was rescheduled due to Hurricane Sandy.
    ‘Dan had committed to attend the original event with our editor in chief Jay Fielden.’
    However, a source close to Mr Fielden pointed out that the actor could have attended both parties. ‘The Library gala started at 6.30pm and ended at 8pm and the Downton party went from six to nine,’ the source said.

‘I thought maybe he’d just stop by the library. I was really surprised that he didn’t go on to the Downton party.’
    Stevens, who features in Downton’s two-hour Christmas Day special, has become a celebrity in the States, where the series averages seven million viewers an episode.
    He is currently living in Manhattan with his jazz-singer wife, Susie, and their son and daughter while he appears in Broadway play The Heiress, and has said he is contemplating a permanent move to New York to pursue US film and TV roles.

I've noticed that DS hasn't been on the current Downton press tour. I know that he's on Broadway but he could have appeared on some of the NYC dates. Some of the DA cast (Hugh Bonneville, the actors that play Carson, Thomas and Anna [sorry I forget their names!])appeared on Charlie Rose, which tapes in NYC, you'd think he could have done that, especially since Jessica Chastain, who stars in the play opposite him, did the show to promote her movie. Dan Stevens just seems to be distancing himself from the show.

I would think that if the new season is filming in February, that the writers would know if he was returning or not since they have to know the general storylines so I think he'll probably just make guest appearances. Maybe something related to him taking on a bigger role at Downton, like going on an agricultural tour of the US or Australia, something to get him off canvas for a bit without killing him, I don't think they're going to want to kill off another important character in Season 4.

Erm... Yeah actor have contracts in the UK. However if whatshisname finds Downton too "lowbrow" god help him if he moves to the US for film & TV productions.
    because the show is made by a production company maybe they need to renegotiate, or maybe in his original contract he was going to be written out but virewer research changed their minds, or maybe he's a pretentious dick?

just FYI Downton isn't a BBC production, it's shown on ITV but its made by a company called Carnival Films. House of Elliot was made by the BBC (useless info, the younger sister was played by Louise Lombard who also played Sofia Curtis on CSI); this could be just one of the reasons behind the pricing disparity....
    Free Charmed.

Yeah, I don't know anything about any of the DA cast outside of the show (but there seems to have a been blind about Hugh Bonneville which is beside the point. lol) I hope the actor isn't that much of a pretentious dick, but I have no idea. As for thinking the show is too lowbrow...then why did he agree to do it? One of my biggest pet peeves in when actors bitch about their work. But then, I wouldn't say he's become a celebrity in the US and I doubt he's going to make some grand transition to American movies and TV either. Downton Abbey is obviously incredibly popular, but I don't think anyone thinks about him outside of the show. Maybe he's miffed he didn't get a Golden Globe nomination?

DA was actually very affordable to buy, but I'm stingy and was looking for a good deal. I went back and looked at HOE and it's really not that outrageous, $114 for the complete series and about $40 per season. I didn't realize the younger sister was on CSI, I sort of remember her.

Fun fact: if you search for House of Eliott at Amazon, the second search item that comes up after Poirot is Road House.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Erm... Yeah actor have contracts in the UK. However if whatshisname finds Downton too "lowbrow" god help him if he moves to the US for film & TV productions.
    because the show is made by a production company maybe they need to renegotiate, or maybe in his original contract he was going to be written out but virewer research changed their minds, or maybe he's a pretentious dick?

just FYI Downton isn't a BBC production, it's shown on ITV but its made by a company called Carnival Films. House of Elliot was made by the BBC (useless info, the younger sister was played by Louise Lombard who also played Sofia Curtis on CSI); this could be just one of the reasons behind the pricing disparity....
    I didn't realize there were those binding contracts for actors in the UK, maybe it's because I rarely see a show go through so many seasons as Downton has. So he might have to come back even if he doesn't want to? Would they sue him like they do in Hollywood if you don't show up?
    I just don't think DS has "It", whatever that is, he's fine but not spectacular so good luck with that Hollywood career if that's what he's looking towards. There are a lot of not spectacular actors already there that he's going to have to compete with! I did see JBF (Lady Sybil) on horse back in Central Park recently with Colin Farrell so she's doing well, (she was just riding around with him, it was for some movie and she was wearing a wig and old-fashioned dress, an odd thing to see, Colin Farrell, not so hot anymore, at least from a distance!) maybe DS thinks he can do that too.

I didn't realize that DA was from a different production company, I guess that explains the higher and really sumptuous looking production values. Each episode of the show looks like a movie, it's really beautiful. House of Eliott's production values were pretty poor except when they went to Paris, those were wonderful episodes. The wardrobe on that show was lovely though, especially how they dressed Evvie.

I did see Louise Lombard on CSI but it took me awhile to recognize her because she was a blonde!! Not her best look, I hope she's a brunette now wherever she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I didn't realize there were those binding contracts for actors in the UK, maybe it's because I rarely see a show go through so many seasons as Downton has. So he might have to come back even if he doesn't want to? Would they sue him like they do in Hollywood if you don't show up?
    I just don't think DS has "It", whatever that is, he's fine but not spectacular so good luck with that Hollywood career if that's what he's looking towards. There are a lot of not spectacular actors already there that he's going to have to compete with! I did see JBF (Lady Sybil) on horse back in Central Park recently with Colin Farrell so she's doing well, (she was just riding around with him, it was for some movie and she was wearing a wig and old-fashioned dress, an odd thing to see, Colin Farrell, not so hot anymore, at least from a distance!) maybe DS thinks he can do that too.
    That's so funny, when I first was talking about Dan Stevens, I was going to say it's not like he's going to have the kind of career someone like Colin Farrell had when he first got to the US. I forgot he was filming a movie with Lady Sybil, I think I saw some strange photos of that. But yeah, DS's face and acting don't scream breakout star in America to me. Who knows though?

Regarding the House of Elliot - it was filmed a long time ago by the BBC, for the BBC. This was before production companies made TV programs& sold them like they do today, so there would have been a specific budget & would have used old sets as available. Times have changed.

Carnivsl films make a lot of TV shows, you should check them out. Some are only sold into the US by the look of things.

Ah Dan Stevens, he'll do just fine but he needs to not bite the hand that feeds him. Maybe he just prefers being on stage (where he is well respected). As for the comment about not knowing who the actors are, you're watching some of the best British charature actors. You've seen them in lots of TV series & films but because they are actors you wouldn't recognise them. Dame Maggie Smith, for example has a long illustrious career, as does Hugh Bonnaville, etc etc etc. I can't believe that you've never seen Jim Carter in anything before, he's been in everything...
    Free Charmed.

Regarding the House of Elliot - it was filmed a long time ago by the BBC, for the BBC. This was before production companies made TV programs& sold them like they do today, so there would have been a specific budget & would have used old sets as available. Times have changed.

Carnivsl films make a lot of TV shows, you should check them out. Some are only sold into the US by the look of things.

Ah Dan Stevens, he'll do just fine but he needs to not bite the hand that feeds him. Maybe he just prefers being on stage (where he is well respected). As for the comment about not knowing who the actors are, you're watching some of the best British charature actors. You've seen them in lots of TV series & films but because they are actors you wouldn't recognise them. Dame Maggie Smith, for example has a long illustrious career, as does Hugh Bonnaville, etc etc etc. I can't believe that you've never seen Jim Carter in anything before, he's been in everything...
    Good point about the HOE, that was a long time ago, I think I was around 10 or 12 when I first started watching that on A&E! Production values have improved a lot since then. I still thought the costumes were amazing though, especially Evvie's coats.
    I'm definitely going to check out the other Carnival Productions, I didn't know about them so thanks for that tip!

I think the last quote might have been for someone else? I love British TV and movies so I've seen a lot of the older Downton actors in other dramas. Hugh Bonneville pops up in everything from that movie with Julia Roberts where she was a total bitch but Hugh Grant's character wanted her anyway (Notting Hill, hated her character in that) to Doctor Who! (I follow him on Twitter too, I just think he's adorable.) Penelope Wilton was also in Doctor Who, the PM, really fun those episodes. I liked her in P&P too. She's really adept at just fading into a character, I didn't even recognize her in P&P until the second viewing!
    I really like Jim Carter, he's one of those great English actors that's just wonderful at everything. I actually watched the Cranford series with my grandmom, she was the person who really started my love for British drama. My grandmother was a huge Dame Maggie Smith fan, that's one of the reasons I thought I'd check out Downton when I first saw the commercials for it.

I read an interview where DS mentioned he liked US shows like Mad Men, Homeland and Breaking Bad. Maybe he wants to get into something like that, certainly Breaking Bad would be a real change for him! There was a hilarious parody of Breaking Bad with the Downton Actors. http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/422221 /december-13-2012/uncensored---breaking-abbey
    There's something wrong when I hear Lord Grantham shouting "You Motherfu**er!" Or maybe it's something really right!

Thanks, I'll check out Carnival Films!

I reread what I wrote about the actors and what I had meant, but did not say, about Dan Stevens and the rest of the cast is that I don't know anything about their personal lives or their career trajectories. I could say the same about a lot of American shows that I enjoy watching, too. The characters of Downton Abbey are beloved here, but I don't know about the fanbases of the individual actors. I don't think Dan Stevens specifically is getting huge buzz here. I do know the work of the others, though. I know and love Maggie Smith, the last place I remember Hugh Bonneville from, off the top of my head, is that Beau Brummell series - he was the only thing in it worth watching - and I have seen a lot of Jim Carter's movies.

If Dan Steven's is after stage work, then that's one thing, and stage acting is a wonderful thing. If he's looking to star in a Spielberg movie, I'd say he's got a long road. He doesn't strike me as the next Daniel Day-Lewis, Daniel Craig, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Grant, Henry Cavill, Jude Law, Orlando Bloom, Ewan McGregor, Helen Mirren, Kate Winslet, Judi Dench, Keira Knightley, etc. It's sort of like Matthew Macfadyen. Every time I turn around I see him in a movie, yet I think if I went up to the average person on the street and asked them what they thought about him, they would say, "who?"

Also agree DS shouldn't bite the hand that feeds him.

edited to add - If DS likes Mad Men or Breaking Bad, I could see him on one of those shows.
    Last edited by Waterslide; December 16th, 2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Novice likes this.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information