Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dollhouse creator Joss Whedon filming series prequel

What did you guys think of the episode this week? It's the first time that the plot was set mostly in the "real world" where the dolls didn't have imprints. I think the show is gettign pretty interesting now with all the hints they are dropping.

Too bad it's probably going to get cancelled just when I'm getting really into it....

This week's episode was awesome. I could have done without yet another rape, but I liked that they acknowledged the skeeviness of the Dollhouse situation.

Plus, shirtless Ballard, Mellie revealed as an Active, kickass fights scenes and sparkling dialogue-I can't complain!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    This week's episode was awesome. I could have done without yet another rape, but I liked that they acknowledged the skeeviness of the Dollhouse situation.
    Yes, that's another step towards coherence. I hope having acknowledged it they don't now sweep it under the carpet.

That episode was about 1000% better than the last three weeks, mostly because they got me interested in some more of the supporting players (DeVitt intrigues me, Ballard and Ballard's sexy neighbour) and the promise of an X-Files-esque conspiracy theory. I'm down with that. I'm also holding out hope that the Tech Guy meets a painful death.

Also, less Dushku = better show. Even with her assassin imprint Ballard (who fended off a bunch of security dudes while being tazered) should have snapped her like a twig in that fight.

I think it would be hilarious if "Caroline" was also an imprint.

This show is getting better and better. Loved the past episode!

The last three episodes have all been excellent. It's great that Whedon is actively engaging with the inherent misogyny of the concept.

I really hope it won't get cancelled, I'm hooked.

Bronze Member

Last night's episode was terrific.

Olivia Williams is awesome. And she totally no-sold that gunshot wound, like she stubbed her toe or something: she took the only "huh?" moment of the episode and pulled it off. Skills.

Unlike last week, where the "huh?" moment was Caroline returning inside the Dollhouse to apparently bring it down single-handedly. Man, I hope we never see that character again. What a moron. (I thought last week's episode was also really good, despite that moment of idiocy-for-the-sake-of-the-plot).

To be honest, even though I was a big fan of Buffy, I was never *that* hot on Sarah Michelle Gellar. So if they continue the ensemble feel to this show I can tolerate Dushku too. It feels like this thing is really kicking into gear now.

What's that? There's only three episodes left? Oh well. I'm sure those nice people at Fox will give it another series.

That was one of my favourite episodes of any Whedon series. The 'different points of view/non-linear time' narrative isn't always easy to pull of well, but in this case, the results were excellent.

I rather enjoyed Mellie outing herself as a doll to Ballard. The guy can't catch a break!

Bronze Member

That was one of my favourite episodes of any Whedon series. The 'different points of view/non-linear time' narrative isn't always easy to pull of well, but in this case, the results were excellent.

I rather enjoyed Mellie outing herself as a doll to Ballard. The guy can't catch a break!
    I was pondering this and I think I agree with you. Definitely way up there. They knocked it out of the park, it didn't feel gimmicky at all. It even had some funny moments that didn't seem forced or tacked on or too "wheddony".

I like where they're going with Ballard too. Puts him in a dilemma, whether to continue his "relationship" with "Mellie" for the sake of the greater good. Basically using a doll just like a client. Tough times. The bit with Dominic in the van on his way to being Attic'ed was a great little touch too. It actually made me want to see that character come back and kick some ass.

If they give us another three episodes like that then... I'm going to be disappointed when Fox cancels it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeknot View Post
    I was pondering this and I think I agree with you. Definitely way up there. They knocked it out of the park, it didn't feel gimmicky at all. It even had some funny moments that didn't seem forced or tacked on or too "wheddony".

I like where they're going with Ballard too. Puts him in a dilemma, whether to continue his "relationship" with "Mellie" for the sake of the greater good. Basically using a doll just like a client. Tough times. The bit with Dominic in the van on his way to being Attic'ed was a great little touch too. It actually made me want to see that character come back and kick some ass.

If they give us another three episodes like that then... I'm going to be disappointed when Fox cancels it, I guess.
    I want to be all Polyanna and hope that Fox WON'T cancel this, but...yeah. Slim chance of another network picking it up too.

Dominic definitely rocked the hell out of the van scene. I will miss his character-though he was hateful, at least he was upfront about his evil, unlike some other Dollhouse staff I could mention, and the actor gave great comedic reaction shots.

The Ballard/Mellie scenes will definitely get more disturbing now...and more interesting!

Bronze Member

I dunno about you guys, but I violently disliked this week's episode. Not as much as the Religious Cult episode, but more than the Pop Star episode. Complete overkill with the dramatic irony. Every scene seemed to have about 5 instances of "I wish Margaret was here".

How many times had thingy been secretly spying on his mother going to bed to know that it was "the same routine as always?" WTF? That entire scene in the stable was like the worst thing I've seen in years.

Also, Boyd to Devitt: "Eternal life. Is that what we're blah blah pompous-yet-stating-the-bleeding-obvious speech blahblahblah" shutupshutupshutup!

On the other hand, I thought Dushku was pretty good this week. Nice to see.

I don't think this week's was that awful. It wasn't as good as the last couple weeks, but it was still enjoyable enough. It was definitely filler gearing up for the season/series () finale, which looks like its going to be a 2 episode arc.

It wasn't as good as the previous three, but I did enjoy it, and liked the moral dilemma that the possibility of immortality raises. Ballard's scenes were interesting-skeevy as hell, but interesting.

I thought this week's episode was really good. Would you want to go to your own funeral? Good question. Is it been made official the show is getting canceled?

Nope. And some of us still hang on to hope!

Bronze Member

It wasn't as good as the previous three, but I did enjoy it, and liked the moral dilemma that the possibility of immortality raises.
    There was nothing wrong with the ideas, it just didn't work for me in execution. Anyone watching knows the implications of Margaret's deal, viz "eternal life" - it didn't need Boyd's silly writer-interjection-ly speech ("you do know..." of course she knows, she's not an idiot!). The episode - IMO - had lots of badly-written moments like that and really dragged it down for me.

I also thought thingy's addiction was going to be to dollhouse dolls, which would be expensive, and interesting. Instead they went for that tacked-on "gambling" addiction and another silly speech. I do agree that the Ballard scenes were good though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information