Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dollhouse creator Joss Whedon filming series prequel

Bronze Member

I thought episode 2 was much better. Sure it was a bit cliche, but at least it made sense. And Dushku's acting was okay - not "good", but "okay". That's all I'm asking for really.

I wouldn't say the show is "there" yet but it's looking promising. Just have to hope it doesn't get cancelled now.

We like it a lot - very very creepy and a lot less humor than Joss is known for. I am sure it will get better and better but it reminds me a lot of Alias.

I can't help but feel something's missing with this show, I really had high hopes. Eliza Dushku, hot as she may be, is kind of a one note performer, I'm not sure yet if she can carry her own show. I hope it picks up some speed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    TV.com: Dollhouse creator Whedon filming series prequel

WHY on earth would Joss Whedon go to Fox with another series? The knucklehead execs already killed Firefly with their scheduling fuck-ups, now they're trying to screw over another Whedon vehicle.
    yeah i don't get that either.
    i haven't watched dollhouse yet, but i'm curious.
    i could understand going for it if the main actress he'd created the show for was under contract to a network, if the actress in question was great that is. but eliza dushku? i mean, she's ok. though she always plays the slightly annoying 'tough' chick and i don't think she has the chops to play all these different personalities.
    i hope the show is good. and i hope whedon (and dushku) prove me wrong, but i somehow have the feeling that whedon may be shooting himself in the foot with this one.

i still wish some network would come along and tell him he can make more seasons of firefly.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

aella, what did you think of it so far?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like it. It has some problematic elements and hasn't quite found its voice yet, but it has a lot of potential, and the second episode was a massive improvement over the pilot.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i could understand going for it if the main actress he'd created the show for was under contract to a network, if the actress in question was great that is. but eliza dushku?
    From what I've read my understanding is they're good friends in real life, so it was more a case of Whedon doing a favour for her. But if you were starting this show from scratch I don't think Dushku would be top of my list to play Echo either.

Interestingly, Episode 1 - which I thought was weak - was written & directed by Whedon. Episode 2 - which I thought was much better - was not. Hmm.

I agree with everyone's assessment, but to be fair, the fundamentals of the show are pretty complicated. We were just figuring out good/bad/who/what and huh??? Going into the 2d episode, we had some fundamental knowledge, made it easier to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeknot View Post
    Interestingly, Episode 1 - which I thought was weak - was written & directed by Whedon. Episode 2 - which I thought was much better - was not. Hmm.
    The original pilot Whedon wrote was much better than the thing Fox made him rewrite, so I wouldn't count him out yet.

Steve DeKnight wrote the second one-he'd penned some of the best Buffy and Angel episodes.

ok, so i watched the 2 first episodes. definitely agree that the 2nd is better than the first. still, i have a hard time believing this show will ever reach buffy/firefly heights. first of all, where is the trademark whedon humour and wit?
    and i keep going back to my original suspicion, that dushku isn't a strong enough actress to carry a whole show. unless the supporting cast is given more weight because the same could be said for buffy - SMG was also kind of weak as an actress and if the rest of the cast hadn't been awesome, i doubt buffy would have lasted more than a couple of seasons.

I liked it. I like Dushku I think she can carry it. Maybe I am in the minority but the one where she is in the woods and the guy is trying to kill her was really good. Course I am A HUGE WHEDON fan and was hoping so much Firefly would come back on. And I wish wish wish there would be a Buffy/Angel movie. I miss the humor and Spike.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I really liked the last episode, and the Britney references only made it better.

I'm starting to really like this show, and I think it's starting to find it's voice a little better. I'm seeing little bits of Whedon's humor start to creep their way in now that the show has gotten past most of the business of establishing premise and background. I'm sad that viewership has been on a steady decline every week, I don't think it will last past this season at the rate it's going. At least it appears that Fox has committed to actually airing the full first season (unlike Firefly, damn them).

Also, I can't wait for Alpha to reappear, I'll be happy to see Alan Tudyk/Wash on my TV again. (don't highlight if you don't know/want the casting spoiler)

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I really liked the last episode, and the Britney references only made it better.
    The woman playing Rayna was really good - and ridiculously hot, sorry to be shallow - she made this week's show watchable.

But I think I violently disliked everything else about this episode. Some of the dialogue was painful.

Apparently - according to Whedon, anyway - it's supposed to get better starting episode 6, which is when his original "arc" kicks in. I'm just unsure if anyone not familiar with his previous work (which is like 98% of the population = ratings) is still going to be watching by then.

Bronze Member

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but did they really build up the tension on "how they were going to get out of the vault" for half the episode, only to have them throw a smoke-thingy up and calmly walk out past the guards? And not even bother to show them leaving the vault? That really bugged me. The episode was kinda going okayish until then.

[boring rant]And I found Eliza Dushku completely unconvincing yet again. I never thought I'd be saying this, but there should be less scenes of Eliza Dushku undressing/showering/standing around in her bra. It's hard to take Whedon's alleged feminist leanings seriously when it looks like he's having his cake and eating it: "Isn't it horrible the way women are exploited in our society... but look at dem titties!!" I'm sure that isn't what he intended, but that's sure how it's coming across.[/boring rant]

The other doll Sierra is really good, maybe she should be the lead. Now I've said that I expect her to be killed off in an upcoming episode. In fact all the supporting players are good except for the Tech Guy who needs to die in a hail of bullets.

Whedon has said it picks up and Episode 6 is a game-changer. I dunno. There's a good show somewhere in all this, but there's a lot of things that don't make any sense.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information