Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172
Results 1,066 to 1,074 of 1074
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Dexter on Showtime

Hit By Ban Bus!

Caveat: I never watched Dexter. [Or Lost]
    There is something going on with all of the shows that people get excited about and invest a lot of time in. You know, the ones for which large devoted fandoms develop? The showrunners/producers/writers whoever seem to take a perverse pleasure in subverting audience expectations, which is good if done well but most of the time it is not since oftentimes it's done out of spite. [I heard this was the case with Veronica Mars] For instance, I read somewhere that the folks at Lost used to scour internet postings for speculative predictions of storyline outcomes and would deliberately change them---apparently just because they didn't want to be 'predictable', which in many cases just means 'logical, ie the story is progressing logically. Storylines SHOULD be predictable to a certain extent---it means there is internal consistency within the narrative. Tossing logic and consistency out the window for the sake of surprising the audience usually just ends up pissing them off.
    Last edited by Sasha; January 15th, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Heidi Ho likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Caveat: I never watched Dexter. [Or Lost]
    There is something going on with all of the shows that people get excited about and invest a lot of time in. You know, the ones for which large devoted fandoms develop? The showrunners/producers/writers whoever seem to take a perverse pleasure in subverting audience expectations, which is good if done well but most of the time it is not since oftentimes it's done out of spitef. [I heard this was the case with Veronica Mars] For instance, I read somewhere that the folks at Lost used to scour internet postings for speculative predictions of storyline outcomes and would deliberately change them---apparently just because they didn't want to be 'predictable', which in many cases just means 'logical, ie the story is progressing logically. Storylines SHOULD be predictable to a certain extent---it means there is internal consistency within the narrative. Tossing logic and consistency out the window for the sake of surprising the audience usually just ends up pissing them off.
    I agree with you. I think a lot of that shit happened with True Blood and Sookie Stackhouse. Both Alan Ball (with the series) and Charlaine Harris (with the book series).

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I agree with you. I think a lot of that shit happened with True Blood and Sookie Stackhouse. Both Alan Ball (with the series) and Charlaine Harris (with the book series).
    Spiteful subversion of the novels is exactly what happened but True Blood still has a season left so all is not lost. OTOH, before Alan Ball left as showrunner there were rumors of screaming matches between him and the suits at HBO so who knows what goes on there. I've always maintained that True Blood's subtext is incredibly politically subversive so if the suits grokked it they might--wait, not might, they absolutely WOULD interfere with logical outcomes. See above article about what happened with Dexter.

Spiteful subversion of the novels is exactly what happened but True Blood still has a season left so all is not lost. OTOH, before Alan Ball left as showrunner there were rumors of screaming matches between him and the suits at HBO so who knows what goes on there. I've always maintained that True Blood's subtext is incredibly politically subversive so if the suits grokked it they might--wait, not might, they absolutely WOULD interfere with logical outcomes. See above article about what happened with Dexter.
    I wish they would have given the new show runner on TB one more season to see how it goes. I think he turned the show around (mostly).

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I wish they would have given the new show runner on TB one more season to see how it goes. I think he turned the show around (mostly).
    Which one? Mark Hudis lasted as showrunner for the first 3 eps of season 6, after which he was summarily dismissed and Brian 'Bucky' Buckner brought on board. For the most part, the season was on track for some big reveals [the groundwork for which was laid out by Alan Ball.] but I knew it would never happen in the 6th once a 7th Bucky run season was announced. Big reveals SHOULD have happened and the series ended then but greed won out. Lets hope it all comes together in the last season.

I really liked season six (Travis Marshall). But any season that ISN'T season five (Lumen and the gang rapists) suits me fine. I watched season five because I was watching it with a friend, but, I'll never watch it again and I still feel sick about the sounds from the videos Debra watched. For me, season five didn't happen.

The Trinity and Brian seasons were my favourite. I don't mind season two too much because the bitch dies in the finale... but I do miss Doakes. Why do the sexy black guys keep dying on my shows (Dexter, Supernatural, Buffy (come back Forrest!))?

As for 'Lost'... I never watched a single episode. Because it's creator abandoned 'Alias', and I knew he'd lose interest in 'Lost', too.

Which one? Mark Hudis lasted as showrunner for the first 3 eps of season 6, after which he was summarily dismissed and Brian 'Bucky' Buckner brought on board. For the most part, the season was on track for some big reveals [the groundwork for which was laid out by Alan Ball.] but I knew it would never happen in the 6th once a 7th Bucky run season was announced. Big reveals SHOULD have happened and the series ended then but greed won out. Lets hope it all comes together in the last season.
    Oh, I didn't know there were two. I thought it was just Brian Buckner. I'm wondering what the reveals are going to be? Hmm. I liked that they tightened the show up, as far as there being way too many story lines at once. Even though there were still several story lines, they managed to keep the bit stories on the back burner a bit.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Jan 21 2014
    Prediction: Showtime Has Had a Super Secret, Super Stupid Plan to Bring Dexter Back All Along

I’ve had a sneaking feeling that won’t go away ever since Dexter ended, and the finale was cemented in TV history as one of the worst of all time. It was bad, but it was worse than it needed to be because of some unseen force.
    The culprit (other than Scott Buck) revealed itself when the producers said Showtime would literally not allow them to kill off Dexter in the finale.
    “Showtime was very clear about that. When we told them the arc for the last season, they just said, ‘Just to be clear, he’s going to live.’ ”
    Now, we have Michael C. Hall dancing around the idea of a possible Dexter revival, in one form or another.
    “I can’t even wrap my mind around that. And it’s all just theoretical until there is some sort of script reflecting somebody’s idea of where it could possibly go. But it’s hard for me to imagine what that would be.”
    My theory is this: Dexter, at least in its early years, was the best thing to ever happen to Showtime. The character became an instant national icon, and the show was heralded as brilliant its early seasons, up until around a supposed peak in season four with John Lithgow’s Trinity Killer (though I believe the peak was in season two).

As the show drew to a close, Showtime simply didn’t want to let go. They may not have known how or why, but Dexter was just too good a character to kill forever, despite the fact that that’s what his arc was obviously building to.
    The whole scenario reminded me a lot of how Fox handled (or rather, mishandled) the finale of 24. Though the show obviously should have ended with Jack Bauer finally being forced to make the ultimate sacrifice for his country, he simply scampered off into the ether to live another day. Now, we have his return to television in the form of the new miniseries 24: Live Another Day. Yes, they literally called it that.
    I believe this is now Showtime’s secret plan for Dexter. The finale was such bullshit that they really don’t have all that much work to do in order to potentially bring Dexter back from being a lumberjack. Yes, Deb is dead (in the stupidest way possible, a fitting end as she became the stupidest character possible) and Dexter faked his death in a hurricane, tricking both his friends, his love Hannah and his own son.
    But I could easily see him returning as some new threat presents itself, going after either his Miami Metro brethren or Hannah and Harrison (preferably Hannah is dead, because she sucks, and Harrison is missing). That’s certainly something that would bring him out of retirement, and they could explain his faked death away by saying that he was just so distraught after Deb’s death, he needed some time alone. In true Dexter form, everyone would be pissed at him for an episode or two, the immediately forget about it.

Now, in no way am I saying this is what should happen or that it’s a good idea. But I do believe that Showtime IS planning something like this, whether it’s one more bonus season, a miniseries or a movie.
    As much as I would love to see Dexter return to be at least partially redeemed for the horrendous finale his character had to endure, I’m just not sure how such a thing would be possible. Poison showrunner Scott Buck would have to be nowhere near the project, as if he was involved somehow he’d only manage to make things worse (Masuka’s daughter is the new Big Bad!). Ideally, if they could throw money at original showrunner Clyde Phillips (responsible for the good years) to return and refashion some sort of redemption for Dexter, that would be nice, but it also might be like prodding a horse with a broken leg to run in the Kentucky Derby. The damage is done, and the nice thing would have been just to shoot it and be done with it.
    Dexter is a fundamentally great character, he just had to endure horrible, horrible stories for the last three or four years of his show. As tempted as I would be to see him come back in order to have the epic finale he deserves (you know, one where he might actually be discovered, which was supposed to be the central conflict of the show), it would be too painful to endure if it went poorly.
    What do you think? Should Dexter keep chopping wood, or return for one more adventure?

Read more at Prediction: Showtime Has Had a Super Secret, Super Stupid Plan to Bring Dexter Back All Along |

fgg

ok, i finally finished the whole series last week. the finale was the worst EVER! this show had so many highs & lows (super terrible seasons that i couldn't wait to end and some really great seasons). i think if i had watched it live, i probably would have quit when it got boring but because i watched it all at once, i wanted to finish it so i suffered through.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172

Thread Information