Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Dexter on Showtime

aella, i pm'd you
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Beeyotch, Doakes cracks me up too. He just flips out on Dexter whenever the chance comes up. Those two are heading for a big showdown. I read that in the books Doakes gets messed up royally, I don't know if it's by Dexter, but the producers said they weren't going by the books for season 2, so anything could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    haha. I must have some black in me deep down somewhere then.
    I hope he kills Deb too, she's ugly. lol
    Hey, we all have a little of everything in us. That's why we're mutts.

As far as Deb goes, I odn't want him to kill her. I just want her to leave.

^ In the book Doakes isn't messed up by Dexter, but it is way sickening. There is absolutely no way that they could do it on television and have it cleared for airing (and still do it justice)-even on Showtime. They definitely aren't following Jeff Lindsay's opinions about who should stay living/unharmed though, if they were there is a character still on the show that would be dead by now. They are making it a separate entity from the books, and I do like that aspect.

What did happen to Doakes in the books? I read that he was messed up in some way, but nobody ever went into details.

Oooh, I want to know, too. Doakes kicks ass. I'm glad they're not killing him off like in the books. Probably cause he's got major charisma as an actor and good opposing chemistry with Dexter.

I wish Dexter would slice Doakes up into little pieces and then feed him to a pool of sharks. Is that too harsh? Okay, maybe he could stick him with a needle filled with a slow acting poision and then dump him in the ocean. Either way would work for me.

Holy smokes, that's some strong, violent feelings against Doakes! He's cool!

But yeah, I've had similar feelings toward other characters I didn't like. Funny how the show does that to you.

Book spoiler:

highlight --> Doakes is killed by a serial killer due to his previous involvement in a secret-service type organization in which they committed "horrible crimes". One of the people involved went crazy and started torturing the people from that division, and it was extreme torture. We're talking cutting off one limb at a time, keeping the victim alive so they could feel all of the pain. When the first victim was found they were still alive and howling. Doakes was handled in pretty much the same manner, except Dexter was there and it was the showdown between him and the killer. They play a bizarre game of hangman where everything Dexter guesses wrong means Doakes loses something. That's all my own memory from months ago, so I may be wrong about parts of it, but it was pretty graphic and couldn't have been aired.

Also, for those who haven't read, the character I was talking about that wouldn't be there if they were following the death/harm path the books do is LaGuerta, she was killed by the ice truck killer in the book <----highlight

^^Thanks for the info. Yeah, they couldn't have gotten away with that on TV. Even if it is cable. And I'm glad they're not following the books. I like Doakes. La Guerta is cool, too. The sister, Deb, can go at any time.

Thanks Noday! I think they could have done that book version somehow, without showing the extremely graphic parts, just playing up the suspense. They show gruesome stuff like throat slashing and severed limbs after all. I trust showtime could be creative.

And I wish that character had been taken out as per the book. I hated that one with a passion.

Smile

I didn't know it was a book. Will have to check that out!
    I just saw an episode of it this past weekend. LOVED IT! So I rented the first season online. Am patiently waiting for it to come in the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Beeyotch, Doakes cracks me up too. He just flips out on Dexter whenever the chance comes up. Those two are heading for a big showdown. I read that in the books Doakes gets messed up royally, I don't know if it's by Dexter, but the producers said they weren't going by the books for season 2, so anything could happen.

Hey, we all have a little of everything in us. That's why we're mutts.

As far as Deb goes, I odn't want him to kill her. I just want her to leave.
    LOL. My husband had a potential employee filling out an application one day and the guy turned and looked at my husband when he got to the race section and said, "hey man, what box do you check?"
    He's a mixture of irish, itialian and indian mixed but we tell him he has black in him because he's dark skin, curly hair if it grows out, and can play basketball with the best of them. It was just so funny the way the guy asked him that, he was serious too.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    I didn't know it was a book. Will have to check that out!
    I just saw an episode of it this past weekend. LOVED IT! So I rented the first season online. Am patiently waiting for it to come in the mail!
    There are 3 out now, and all the titles are alliterated. The first one (the one season 1 is based on) is called Darkly Dreaming Dexter, book 2 is Dearly Devoted Dexter, and book 3 is Dexter in the Dark. They're all fast reads, all fairly short, and hard to put down. I love that every so often you'll get this snap of reality that you're rooting for the serial killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    LOL. My husband had a potential employee filling out an application one day and the guy turned and looked at my husband when he got to the race section and said, "hey man, what box do you check?"
    He's a mixture of irish, itialian and indian mixed but we tell him he has black in him because he's dark skin, curly hair if it grows out, and can play basketball with the best of them. It was just so funny the way the guy asked him that, he was serious too.
    Now that is funny. Who fills out an application for a job and turns and asks somebody what race box do they check?

Well, the guy is a Mexican and you know how they don't really have a box to check, anyway, I guess he really thought my husband was something other than white so he was wondering what box he checked.
    It has been a big joke since then. We always pick on my husband about it.
    He even hired the guy because he got so tickled over the guy asking him that. Funny thing is, that's has been his best employee ever.

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread Information