Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Dexter on Showtime

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    OK - we've now just seen Ep 6 (it's like waiting for a glacier) and they caught the guy they thought was the Ice Truck Killer but isn't. And the doctor guy has made a move on Deb. I don't want to spoil it for anyone else who's catching up but would I be correct in thinking that this guy is the man to watch?
    Highlight for post.Yes, why yes you would.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

A*O

Oh errrr!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

So I take it you're enjoying it so far, A*O?

I kind of envy you for getting to experience the show for the first time. I loved discovering Dexter S1. Not that the second season wasn't great, but S1 was a piece of television perfection that will always be special to me.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

We got into Dexter after it was recommended to my husband by a friend, he checked out an episode, liked it and then downloaded the first season. We watched them back to back one because we just couldn't walk away from it. Season two was like torture because we had to wait a week to catch the next episode!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

A*O

So far I love it too! We are up to Ep7 Series 1 when I suspect it's going to get interesting. Apart from a brilliant plot idea I also like the fact that none of the main characters are particularly likeable. They all have flaws just like real people! The only one who seems 'perfect' is Rita and I'm hoping her inner bitch comes out soon otherwise she's too vanilla for me. I'm also hoping her loser husband meets Dex in a cold, dark alley but don't tell me!!!

Highlight so far - Dex meets the guy who's a nutso but not the Ice Truck Killer who walks into the interview room and says "who the F8ck are you" and Dex does that little smile because he instantly realises this is NOT the guy. Perfect.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    We got into Dexter after it was recommended to my husband by a friend, he checked out an episode, liked it and then downloaded the first season. We watched them back to back one because we just couldn't walk away from it. Season two was like torture because we had to wait a week to catch the next episode!
    Downloading entire seasons? That's how I get into most shows! And yeah, S2 of Dexter was particularly torturous, the leaked two final eps notwithstanding...

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

Highlight so far - Dex meets the guy who's a nutso but not the Ice Truck Killer who walks into the interview room and says "who the F8ck are you" and Dex does that little smile because he instantly realises this is NOT the guy. Perfect.
    Yes, I know exactly the little smile you're referring to. God, MCH is so insanely talented in this role, he has nuances upon nuances...

Eli

Got season 1 delivered literally to my doorstep yesterday, have watched the pilot and I LOOOOOOOOVE IT. And Michael C. Hall is sooo hot. Never used to think it. His eyes are amazingly sexy.

A*O

Sigh - we just had Ep8 (?) series 1 on Showcase where Dex inherits his bio dad's house and meets his nemesis Rudi for the first time face to face. A whole hour to move the plot along a very short way IMO. Oh well, I'm hooked now so hopefully next time we'll get some powertool mayhem LOL
    Dame Edna Everage

Eli

Season 2 start in Feb in Aus, and apparently that's painfully addictive. Yay.

I just got the first book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Frightful how well the screenplay was translated from the book. I'm loving it so far. Though I do notice that in the book it's a lot clearer how much Dexter is detached from humanity. How excited he gets about the Ice Truck Killer's work and how deeply it affects him, completely takes over his thoughts. He's a lot less sympathetic a character in the book. MCH's sexy looks help me root for him on the TV show.

A*O

Agree - I just got the books too (bargain at the local store) and he's a much darker character on the page than his TV persona. I actually think MCH's portrayal is more interesting. Perhaps this will be a rare example of a TV adaptation being better than the original book?
    Dame Edna Everage

^Oh yes, book!Dexter is a lot more lacking in the sympathetic factor than the TV version, and a lot of that is absolutely because of MCH's fantastic portrayal.

The secondary characters are very one-dimensional as well, to the point of almost being caricatures.

On the other hand, while the books are far from great literature, I do enjoy some of the flow of Dexter's inner monologue, particularly any references to the Dark Passenger.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I loved Season 2 though. I think it is really hard to take something that has been fantastic and come back and do another season. I though Season 2 of Dexter was GREAT!!
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

I'm trying to fill the void by reading the books. Amazon just delivered 2 and 3 yesterday. Yippee! The first was very much like the first season with the exception of killing off a character I wasn't expecting. I hear that the others are different.

They REALLY need to get the writer's strike sorted out. Want more!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

2 & 3 are VERY different from the books. I liked 2, but it was considered too graphic to film for the TV show. Book 3 was OK, but he started to get into some supernatural stuff in an attempt to explain the Dark Passenger.

Thread Information