Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dancing With the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by dakodas View Post
    I don't know why but Mr. Smith kinda turned me on...
    Cuz you're a Cowboys fan baby!

I'd watch only to see him. Otherwise, won't catch me near it.

Im just hoping that neither Lopez or Lawrence will win. I always go for the underdog. I like Emmitt and Springer actually. I love the fact Vivica is trying and to me that is what makes a winner. Willa is in my opinion improving each week.

Elite Member

Nothing could be further from the truth. Mario Lopez is the sweetest guy. Just because someone is confident or good at what they do (singing, dancing, whatever), it doesn't automatically make them full of themselves or an asshole. The tabloids don't always get it right, especially not in his case. He's a nice, humble guy, not conceited at all.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Nothing could be further from the truth. Mario Lopez is the sweetest guy. Just because someone is confident or good at what they do (singing, dancing, whatever), it doesn't automatically make them full of themselves or an asshole. The tabloids don't always get it right, especially not in his case. He's a nice, humble guy, not conceited at all.
    Do you have any scoop on him, PrettyGirl? It sounds as if you know him. What's unfortunate for Mario (and what will ultimately hurt him) is his reputation as a player and someone who cheated several times on Ali Landry -most notably during his honeymoon. That's a pretty well-known fact. If you know some facts to dispute this, I'd genuinely love to hear them. I agree that that shouldn't factor into the competition, but we all know it will.

I agree that he appears sweet and charming and the like and - personally - I'm hoping he takes the competition because he's damn good, but it doesn't change my personal opinion of him - that he's slime.

Elite Member

We went to the same high school. We weren't in the same grade but I remember Mario vividly. He was always really popular and well-liked. He had HUGE dimples. He was a cutie.

That whole Ali Landry deal gave him such bad publicity. I haven't seen Mario in years but I'm just going to make it simple without revealing too much. My cousin is friends with Marissa's best friend (Marissa is Mario's sister and she went to our high school too). Marissa was much younger than me but my other cousins were in her grade and were friends with Marissa Lopez. We've always known a lot about Mario and Marissa from that whole friendship.

Mario was not a cheater. He was in love with Ali, but she was big-time high maintenance. They were together for quite a few years and that entire time she was super jealous of Mario...from what I heard, she was even jealous of cousins and female relatives he had..she was that bad. When they went out in public, he had to walk looking at the floor, because if he spoke to any female outside of work or looked in another woman's direction, Ali would go ballistic. She'd accused him of 'cheating'. In other words, they had a really volatile relationship for a long time. Jealousy on Ali's part was always an issue in that relationship. Being in that profession of course he was going to speak to other women--that's ridiculous!

When they got married, Mario's family always felt Ali got scared, wasn't sure if she had done the right thing and wanted out. She filed for an annulment immediately afterwards stating that she had heard that Mario 'cheated on her'. She didn't like the whole bachelor party thing. The same shit she had been pulling for years. She got jealous. They were together for years, but it wasn't until they were married that she panicked and decided she wanted out. Mario has always denied it but felt it was an excuse on Ali's part to get out of her marriage. It sounds better to say "He cheated on me and it's over" than "I don't want to be married and I think I made a mistake".

Anyway, Mario was well-liked in school. There wasn't a conceited bone in his body. He still goes down to San Diego pretty often to visit friends and family. And he was a nice kid, really popular...he was a dork...haha. Class clown, not a shy bone in his body. He liked to break dance and sing and girls always liked him (back then). He and Oscar De La Hoya were pretty good friends so he's known Shanna Moakler from way back then too. Now, from what I hear Oscar was a player. Oscar's had quite a few kids from different women, but Mario isn't a player at all.

Oscar De La Hoya, Shanna Moakler, Mario Lopez and Ali Landry.

Mario and Ali when they married in Mexico. Two weeks later it was over, she filed for an annulment.

FYI Ali Landry married a Mexican director named Alejandro Monteverde this year...she was working on one of his movies and started dating him. Hopefully this guy doesn't have any female relatives and that he has the energy to just focus on soley her...lol

Elite Member

Sorry I'm only seeing your reply now, PrettyGirl. Thank you for the insight. I'm not going to say I don't believe what you've posted, but I have to admit I'm skeptical because of a few things.

I'm not surprised Mario was popular in School. The guy's a charmer and I don't doubt he knows how to manipulate with just those dimples alone!

As for the whole Ali deal, how do you date someone for years and then annul a marriage a few weeks later? Something big obviously happened....and I really don't think it was Ali's cold feet. She may be high maintenance, but after 6 years of dating, I'm sure Mario was well aware of this and if he were so turned off by it, I doubt he'd have have risked proposing and promising forever after. As for Ali being "super jealous of Mario", I don't think it was so much jealousy as insecurity because of his well-known womanizing ways. I wouldn't have blamed her. In anything I've read about Ali, she comes across as someone with pretty high standards in terms of morals and values. I can't imagine her taking her vows and then suddenly deciding she 'wanted out'. It doesn't make sense. I personally believe he did cheat. There have just been too many stories. His reputation has really taken a beating over this. From anything I've read, the name Mario Lopez and the word cheater are synonomous. Regardless, I still hope he wins DWTS because he deserves it. In the name of fair play, the other really shouldn't factor in, but probably will.
    Last edited by Elisa; October 5th, 2006 at 08:14 PM.

Elite Member

I've known a lot of people who dated for 5, 6 or 7 years and then they marry and they didn't last but a year or two...sometimes marriage changes everything for people--they realize it's not what they want--or not with the person they wanted it with. To say it should be a certain way is a little textbook. It's not always that perfect in real life. Add fame, money and jealousy to the mix and I think it's highly plausible that she walked out within 2 weeks because Ali didn't want to be married to him. Maybe the possiblity in her mind that he cheated (which he has always denied) was enough for her...who knows.

I find it amazing how all the latino/hispanic men in Hollywood are totally labeled as being womanizers....it makes you wonder if it's all true. Because Mario wasn't a womanizer in school. He didn't even have a really steady girlfriend...he was popular and a lot of girls liked him but to say oh yeah, he was notorious for dating half the school, no way.

But every hispanic man in Hollywood from Desi Arnaz, Fernando Llamas, Cesar Romero, Anthony Quinn, blah, blah, blah were supposedly famous womanizers. I think it's the same with this generation, the same stereotype they give the latino men now and it's really a shame. I guess it's that whole 'hot latino' label that follows them around. Sometimes I think it just sells well and is all fabricated to a large degree. I guess it's part of the game...but there are a lot of non-latino men who cheat too, but that stigma doesn't follow them the way it follows hispanics.

Anyway, it was good to see Mario back in San Diego this week. If you saw the show they had a homecoming for him and he gave a little shout out to our hometown. I would loooove to see him again. If I did, I'd slap in the back and say "Cabron, I can't believe you could dance! You better make us look good!!" ...haha. I have big love for Mario, he's from my barrio, from my school....personally, I'm really rooting for him on the show. He's making it in his own little way and I'm proud of him. The press can write or make up stories as they wish but for those who knew him he was always a good guy and I have no doubt he still is....
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; October 5th, 2006 at 10:02 PM.

Elite Member

I've known a lot of people who dated for 5, 6 or 7 years and then they marry and they didn't last but a year or two...sometimes marriage changes everything for people--they realize it's not what they want--or not with the person they wanted it with. To say it should be a certain way is a little textbook.
    You could very well be right. I've read/heard about people who've dated for many years, yet separate within a year or two of marriage. I often wonder how that happens. You'd think after investing that much time with someone you'd know whether you'd want to follow through on something as serious as marriage.

I find it amazing how all the latino/hispanic men in Hollywood are totally labeled as being womanizers....it makes you wonder if it's all true. Because Mario wasn't a womanizer in school. He didn't even have a really steady girlfriend...he was popular and a lot of girls liked him but to say oh yeah, he was notorious for dating half the school, no way.
    I'm glad to hear that. I've really always liked him, but I admit to being one of those who was completely turned off by him when the philandering rumors started. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But every hispanic man in Hollywood from Desi Arnaz, Fernando Llamas, Cesar Romero, Anthony Quinn, blah, blah, blah were supposedly famous womanizers.
    Hispanic men have definitely been stereotyped. They're all painted with the same brush. Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with ethnicity. You could make the same argument with any group.

Anyway, it was good to see Mario back in San Diego this week. If you saw the show they had a homecoming for him and he gave a little shout out to our hometown. I would loooove to see him again. If I did, I'd slap in the back and say "Cabron, I can't believe you could dance! You better make us look good!!" ...haha. I have big love for Mario, he's from my barrio, from my school....personally, I'm really rooting for him on the show. He's making it in his own little way and I'm proud of him. The press can write or make up stories as they wish but for those who knew him he was always a good guy and I have no doubt he still is....
    You're right about the press. JD Fortune of INXS is one of my sister's close friends. She's know him since they were in Elementary school together. She gets incredibly pissed by what she reads in the paper about him - how the media perpetuates this myth that he's a 'bad boy', etc. - so from that perspective, I see where you're coming from. The Mario-Ali thing was hushed up/taken care of so quickly that I'm sure it helped to fan the flames of the rumors. Since neither Ali and Mario respond to the rumors, they took on a life of their own and people continue to make presumptions.

I loved the 'homecoming' clip. Mario and Karina appear to be quite smitten with each other. I suspect she'd make him earn her affections. She's one tough cookie...but I like them both together. The chemistry is undeniable.

Totally shocked by Vivica's boot
    If anyone should have gone by dancing alone is Sara Evans ok and Springer. I am looking at this season in a totally different way. I was looking at the past seasons by how they both the "star" and their partner danced and that does play a part but you really have to watch the "star" dance. Yes it helps so much for the "star" to have a professional, makes them look really good, but the "star" has to hold the postitions, have their feet in the place they are suppose to be, etc.
    So I think Vivica should have stayed at least a couple more weeks. But I have to tell you I just do not like how Sara Evans dances. Love her music dont get me wrong.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Totally shocked by Vivica's boot
    If anyone should have gone by dancing alone is Sara Evans ok and Springer. I am looking at this season in a totally different way. I was looking at the past seasons by how they both the "star" and their partner danced and that does play a part but you really have to watch the "star" dance. Yes it helps so much for the "star" to have a professional, makes them look really good, but the "star" has to hold the postitions, have their feet in the place they are suppose to be, etc.
    So I think Vivica should have stayed at least a couple more weeks. But I have to tell you I just do not like how Sara Evans dances. Love her music dont get me wrong.
    I'm afraid that Vivica was not one of my favorites so I wasn't disappointed to see her leave. Who Paso Doble's to 'It's My Life'? I thought her dancing was a bit on the sloppy side and I agree with the judges that she needed to add more feminity. That said, I thought for sure Sara's elimination had finally come on Wed. night. She does have all the country fans on her side though so she may be around longer than we'd like.

Jerry's fanbase seems to be growing and getting stronger and stronger. I'd still prefer to see Sara leave before him. At least he's entertaining!

I think Mario's going to win this and I'll go out on a limb and say either Willa or Joey will be runner up. The rest I could care less about.

Elite Member

Vivica wasn't a natural dancer IMO. She was stiff in a lot of the routines. The other black girl, Monique Coleman is a much better dancer. The problem with Vivica is that she came across a little too cocky at times. I don't think that went well with the viewing audience and that's why she didn't last long. I think Emmitt Smith is a great dancer (not excellent but better than the average man) and he's likeable, so he'll be around till the end too. Jerry Springer sucks but he has a large following and he's likeable--that explains him not being voted off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    I'm afraid that Vivica was not one of my favorites so I wasn't disappointed to see her leave. Who Paso Doble's to 'It's My Life'? I thought her dancing was a bit on the sloppy side and I agree with the judges that she needed to add more feminity. That said, I thought for sure Sara's elimination had finally come on Wed. night. She does have all the country fans on her side though so she may be around longer than we'd like.

Jerry's fanbase seems to be growing and getting stronger and stronger. I'd still prefer to see Sara leave before him. At least he's entertaining!

I think Mario's going to win this and I'll go out on a limb and say either Willa or Joey will be runner up. The rest I could care less about.
    Elise you are so right. I do totally agree she needed to add some softness and not be so "hard". Her dancing seemed to lag in parts. After rewatching everyone she was pretty sloppy. Sara also seems to not have that "somethin somethin" that makes you get into it. Now she did a wonderful job two weeks ago when she was in the cowgirl outfit. Her strong dance is a fast dance, weakness is the slow dances.
    I wouldnt be too sad if Springer went this week. Not to be mean but he cant keep up with those younger dudes. He is very intertaning and I have learned alot about him.

Damn, I didn't read all the way through before commenting. I still think Mario has that "aw shucks" quality that he uses in his favor to snow his audience. I don't find him particularly genuine. Maybe he's a nice guy, who knows. I still like JL better.

I actually like watching Jerry. He's not perfect but what he does do, he does well. Vivica was just a very large girl and I think it was hard to look graceful when you are compared to the likes of Willa.

Speaking of which, do any of you think Will and Maks' relationship factored in to their being cut? I think a lot of people were bothered by it.

Does anyone else think Louis is a bit creepy with Monique? He's always leaning into her and always has his face 3 inches from hers when she talks. The judges said early on that they needed more chemisty but I think he's taking it a little too far. That said, this is the first time I've thought he was straight!

Speaking of which, do any of you think Will and Maks' relationship factored in to their being cut? I think a lot of people were bothered by it.
    Personally I think that is why they got booted. And if that Samantha Harris would have kept her comments about it to herself Im sure they would still be one but hey that is my opinion. Sort of pisses me off that people may have been bothered by that factor with Willa and Max but look at Mario and his partner. I mean come on when asked they fumbled and she was blushing so you know something is going on but its ok for them but not Willa. I voted for Willa and Emmitt this last week. I still refuse to vote for Mario and if I have to vote between him and Joey I go for Joey. He reminds me of Drew from last season.

^^ I feel the same about Mario and voting for him but I broke down and voted for him this week. I really loved their dance.

I think most viewers probably see Mario as the charmer and have a softer spot for him. Willa comes across a bit more brazen so I'm sure a lot of people think of her as a hussy. Actually, she and Maks seem a bit more heated/hot and bothered than Mario and Karina so maybe that factored in.

I'm sure the producers told Samatha to ask about it. Hell, I wouldn't have thought twice about any of them if they hadn't have shown the clips of Maks and Willa making out on the beach and of Mario and Karina at the pool. They did it for ratings, which I hate! It was a perfectly good show on it's own. THere's no reason to sex it up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information