Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Dancing With the Stars 2014

I will be pissed if James is eliminated tonight. He deserves to be in the finals. He's better than both Amy and Candace.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    It's gotten to the point where I find myself hoping that she doesn't win, because I think the audience would be so shocked and upset that they might boo her, and I don't want to see that happen.
    Going back to what you said last week - I think that actually happened tonight. It sounded like the audience booed when she stayed over James. Didn't even seem to faze her, either. I know she's got a strong fanbase voting her in, but it's going to be painfully ridiculous if she wins this thing over Meryl or even Amy, IMO. I know it's partially a popularity contest, but good night, I have to look away sometimes because I get embarrassed on her behalf.

Maks and Meryl killed both their dances tonight. I gasped out loud during their freestyle. I read that she did that with a vomiting case of food poisoning, too, so I'm fully in awe.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Wow. I didn't know that about Meryl. I have to admit I did enjoy their freestyle tonight. I was upset to see Candace stay over James. James deserves to be in the finals. I also thought I noticed the audience booing her when she was safe over James. It makes me feel bad for her, because she's doing her best just like everyone else, and she doesn't deserve to be booed; she can't help the fact that she's being chosen to stay over more talented dancers. But at the same time, I understand the audience's frustration.

I am a conservative Christian, so I usually enjoy Candace on a personal level, but I just can't bring myself to vote for her based on her performances tonight. I actually thought the judges were being generous giving her 8s for that freestyle. I was cringing with embarrassment as I watched it. What was Mark thinking?! The one style where Candace really shines is contemporary, and this was the perfect opportunity to knock it out of the park... and instead they did a cheesy, awkward, bizarre dance to the song from Napoleon Dynamite. Unfortunately, I think that may be remembered as one of the worst freestyles in the history of DWTS. Candace is what the show was intended to be about (celebrities with no dance experience learning to dance), so it sucks for her that she landed on a season stacked with ringers. I voted for her for a long time just based on the fact that she was a major underdog doing her best and improving each week. I wasn't comparing her dance ability to Meryl's, but basing my vote on who had the best performance with respect to their level of experience and ability. But I just can't vote for her when the one dance she and Mark have complete control over (freestyle) is the one they disastrously screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    it sucks for her that she landed on a season stacked with ringers.
    Agree and any other season, I'd probably be enjoying her more. The talent level is so high and there are so many show stopping performances, that when she comes out with . . . whatever that was she and Mark did, it just leaves me cringing and confused. I feel bad for her, because she's putting in her all, but it's going to be awkward and painful to watch if her fan base pushes her to a win.

I get that Derek wanted to go for something visually appealing with the freestyle and I think what he put together was very interesting, but I'm with Carrie Ann that there wasn't much of Amy actually dancing in it. I know he's a wonderful dancer, though, and I enjoy watching him dance, but really what I'm doing is watching him the whole time instead of watching her.
    southernbelle likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I agree about Derek and Amy. I would have loved to see what he would have done with Candace. I think part of her problem, in addition to having no prior experience, is that out of all the male pros, Mark's style is probably the least suited to her personality. He doesn't really choreograph to her strengths. That's where Derek shines. Derek makes his partners look good, even if it's by creating a diversion from their limited ability. Derek uses his talent to his partner's advantage. He's okay with putting the spotlight on himself instead of his partner, but he does it in a way that's more discrete, almost so the viewer doesn't even realize that's what he's doing.

Mark is just big on all-around theatrics, and I've noticed him frequently pushing his partners into routines that showcase him - and that he clearly enjoys - but that make the partner look and feel ridiculous. For a more conservative and modest partner like Candace, I would prefer to see more subdued routines that are visually interesting without being cheesy. Mark and Candace's best routines have been their slower, more elegant ones where Candace wasn't made to jump around and try to get sexy. She's clearly not comfortable with those types of moves, and that's painfully obvious in her routines.
    card likes this.

For someone who said she was going to wear modest outfits, that certainly was a very lowcut jumpsuit...

Elite Member

Boy, the second place finisher sure gets the shaft. Candace gets to deliver a little speech and all the second place person gets is a thanks for Erin and gets moved aside so the winner can celebrate. I don't know if I noticed that in past seasons. It's kind of funny.

Was it just me, or were the other dancers clearly happier than normal over who won?

Happy to see someone other than Derek win, I'm sure!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I wish James and Peta had gotten the opportunity to compete for the Mirror Ball trophy. The fact that voters overwhelmingly chose them for the encore but supposedly didn't vote for them to stay in the competition confuses me. I believe that one of two things happened:

a) James was bumped from the final 3 so TPTB could give a spot to someone who didn't really earn it (either Amy based on how "inspirational" she is or Candace based on the fact that she's a hit with their biggest demographic)

b) He was a victim of the one night format where you can be eliminated after delivering your best performance because viewers never have a chance to vote for it, since the week's elimination is pre-determined based on LAST week's dance. If the votes had been based on his most recent dance, he would have still been in the competition.

If they're going to stick to the one-night-a-week format, they need to come up with a better way of handling the voting and eliminations. Eliminations should be based on the most recent dance that the couple performed. If scores and votes for those dances don't count, then making the couple do them is pointless.

I think if they stick with a one night per week format, they should start with less couples and alternate dance/elimination nights. So, week one would be dance night. Week two, elimination night. Week three, dance night, and so on. Or they could do two weeks of dancing followed by one week of eliminations, with a double elimination taking place in each elimination night.

I am in the minority in that I didn't care for Meryl and Maks. Meryl grew on me in the last few weeks of competition, but I didn't like her at all in the finale. She came across to me as very stand-offish and arrogant with everyone except for Maks, whom she seems to worship like he's the second coming of Christ. I hope for her sake that their relationship is actually as deep and meaningful to him as she thinks it is, because I felt so uneasy watching her constantly kissing his ass and telling him how great he is when I really get the impression that he's using her for the win and will walk as soon as the media attention from it dies down.

Candace tried hard and I felt she was very graceful about being in third place. I felt sorry for her, because everyone has made it clear they don't think she should be there. I didn't care for them playing clips of the judges saying "bloody ridiculous" when others were eliminated instead of Candace, or the subtle jabs about how it's a miracle she got this far. She knew she was out of her league in terms of ability, but she was chosen to advance each week and was just doing her best. What did they want her to do? Quit? I thought the obvious disdain for Candace was unnecessary. I also noticed that in the Road to Finals package, during all the other couples' interviews they showed tweets about how great they were and how they deserved to win, and during Candace's, they showed generic things like "I'm trying to get all my homework done so I can watch the finale!" and "What happens if you want a bathroom break?"

I'm not an Amy fan at all, but I did enjoy their fusion dance. Derek did a great job with the choreography on that one. He is by far my favorite pro.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information