Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Dancing With the Stars 2014

Thank you!
    Laurent likes this.

I don't know who the fuck Abby Lee Miller is, but she's already ruined this episode. I don't get why they need a guest judge every single week anyway.
    southernbelle likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I don't like the concept of guest judges, because the whole point of the judges is to balance a professional and technical opinion with just personal preference (viewer votes). When you have guest judges who are not trained in ballroom, it kind of defeats the purpose. That being said, I think Len, Carrie-Ann, and Bruno need to be a lot more critical and actually point out flaws and judge accordingly instead of just handing out 9s and 10s like candy. They aren't there to judge based on what was "inspiring" or exciting for them to look at; they're there to give a professional critique and judge for content and technique. If they do have guest judges, they should be actual ballroom judges.

Last night was disappointing. Amy got 10s for a dance where she basically sat on a stool for 90% of it while Derek danced around her. AND they knocked the stool over at one point. That was nowhere near a perfect dance, and the majority of Amy's participation in it didn't even constitute dancing. Derek's contribution to that dance may have been worthy of 9s, but Amy (the one they're supposed to be judging) didn't deserve anything higher than a 5.

I am so sick of them inflating her scores and telling her how amazing she is. It looks like they're going to push her into the finals at the expense of people who actually DO dance (Danica, etc) whether she does the content or not. Derek's doing the best he can with her, but I get the impression that she's lazy and entitled and WANTS to get sympathy scores gifted to her rather than actually doing what she's supposed to be doing and earning them. Did anyone else notice Val's shot at her in his and Danica's practice package? He was talking about their low scores for the dance where Danica was injured, and he said "Danica doesn't want anything she doesn't earn."

I actually enjoyed Charlie and Candace's duo dance the most last night. They have great chemistry; much more than either of them has with their pro partners. I agreed with Len that Meryl and Maks's dance didn't have enough rumba content. I also didn't really care for the theme, which seemed to be domestic violence.
    Laurent and MohandasKGanja like this.

^ Yeah, Meryl and Maks' theme was based in domestic violence and from what I read it's because he's involved in a child abuse charity that he wanted to dedicate the dance to. And based on how abusive that cow Abby Lee Miller apparently is to children on that Dance Moms show, I'd say it was very timely. That said, I've enjoyed other dances they've done more, but I thought they were absurdly underscored. Four points behind the second lowest score is ridiculous, IMO.

The longer Amy is in this contest and the more she is gifted bullshit scores, the less I like her. I don't even blame Derek, because he's working with what he's got and he's got to hide the fact that she has to have him carry her - literally and figuratively - every week, but she again sat in a foggy haze and sat for a solid 1/3 of that routine. And she gets 10s? Please. Charlie got dinged when he dropped the cane in his routine a few weeks ago, yet this stool mishap is grazed over and they cream themselves over her ability to pivot on a stool. I'm over her. As others have said elsewhere, Marlee Matlin and Heather Mills weren't propped up like this . . . but neither had Derek, either. I don't dislike Derek and for me my irritation isn't about him, but if I were Amy, I wouldn't want to win a dance contest off my partner's talent alone, which is what I feel this is at this point.

Candace staying longer than Danica is ridiculous also. I like Candace okay, but I would be embarrassed to stay longer in a contest where I was less talented. This is where I suspect a celeb's ego shields them from what regular people feel and know to be true.

James got a perfect score after they called him out for his posture, so I don't understand any of the judging last night. I felt like Abby Whoever gave him that because he's the kind of man she would like to fanaticize about while eating a dozen doughnuts.

I feel like next week could be Meryl's last week, which would be a huge shame, IMO. She doesn't have the monster fan base someone like James or Candace or Derek have, and Charlie had perfect scores last night, so he's probably not in danger. She has been a joy to watch. I'm sure Candace will crow about being better than an Olympic figure skater, which is laughable.

I really like Derek and I agree it's not his fault. He's just working with what he's got, which is a partner who can't/won't do the required content and counts on skating by on gifted, undeserved scores. I actually feel bad for him, because the Amy backlash affects people's opinion of him, too. I think Amy may be one of the most disliked contestants the show has had, aside from Bristol.

I hope Meryl doesn't go next week. Even though I think she and Charlie both have way too much ballroom experience to be on this show in the first place, she is indisputably the best dancer, by far, that remains in the competition. Her scores last night don't make sense. I understand docking her points for doing a "rumba" that was actually more of a contemporary. Fine. But if they're going to get technical, they need to hold everyone to the same standards. It's kind of hard to justify Meryl's low scores when Amy gets 10s for parking her ass on a stool while Derek dances around her. If they're going to judge hard and penalize contestants for lack of content, do it across the board or don't do it at all. I'm sick and tired of the judges' inconsistency; getting technical with some contestants and docking their scores, while ignoring major problems with other ones and blowing smoke up their asses with undeserved 9s and 10s. I could maybe understand Meryl's scores if Amy had been given 4s or 5s. But Meryl should not be at the bottom of the leaderboard for last night's dances.

I really enjoy Candace's attitude, but her dancing leaves something to be desired. I feel bad for her, because she's obviously trying, but she just isn't a dancer. Contemporary is the only type of dance where she shines. In every other routine, even the "good" ones, she looks like a deer in headlights. That being said, I do think she should outlast Amy.

James started off strong, but I feel like his dancing hasn't really improved. In fact, it almost seems like he's getting lazy. He's still better than some of the others, but whereas someone like Danica started out at about a 4 (ability and technique wise) and improved to about a 7 (I'm not using the judges' '9s and 10s for everyone!!!!!' system), James started at about a 6 and has stayed there.
    Laurent likes this.

One of the more preposterous things about this Amy situation is that Abby Lee Miller gave an interview where she insinuated that she thought Meryl was faking her broken toe because she was jumping up and down on it, but then she kissed Amy's ass for pushing through a spasming muscle in her shoulder. I guess had Meryl made most of her rehearsal packages a teary drama and sat on a stool while her pro does all the real work, that would've been a believable injury.

Elite Member

Candace is the cockroach of this season. She's going to outlast them all.

I just can't with Amy anymore. Tonight she sits on a table for almost an entire dance and makes visible mistakes, and they rave over her performance. And, just like I predicted, they shoved her into the finals. I don't believe that she's getting the votes to earn that spot. TPTB put her there. I think they do go by the votes for some contestants, but make exceptions when it suits them.

I was surprised to see Charlie go tonight, because he's definitely a better dancer than Candace, James, and Amy, but I didn't feel like he and Sharna connected with audiences as much as the others have. So, I could see TPTB deciding that since they're going to hand Amy a spot in the finals and it has to be at someone's expense, Charlie is the one to go. Candace is a fan favorite who appeals to DWTS's highest-watching demographic, and Peta/James and Meryl/Maks showmances appeal to the demographic DWTS is trying to impove: teenage girls. So, it makes sense that Charlie would be the one TPTB would decide is most expendable.

This week, the dances I enjoyed the most were Meryl and Maks' Viennese Waltz and James and Peta's Michael Jackson dance. Especially considering that James has apparently had some sort of vomiting bug since yesterday. If that had been Amy, she would have cried about it in the pre-dance package that they show, and then declined to participate in the live show but accepted 10s gifted to her by the judges based on her dress rehearsal performance.

I haven't counted how many seconds out of that dance Amy sat on the table or was lifted by Derek, but I'm venturing to say at least half or more. I was so amazed that Derek tried that again considering the backlash that ensued last week with her and the stool. Then again, I guess he felt like he had to do what he had to do with her having jazz, but it just boggles the mind. I wonder if Amy had a pro like Tristan or Henry - or any of the other talented, but new male pros - if she'd still be there. I feel like she's there mostly because Derek is so talented and primarily because his fans are voting for him and his choreography more than for her and her dancing. The table thing tonight was just glaring, as was the Oprah angle. I felt like that was more Derek's doing than anything, but kudos to him for knowing the game, I guess.

I wonder what kind of numbers Meryl must be pulling in - I'm thinking they could be staggering. She was 4 points below the next lowest scorer last week and she managed to overtake not only the person next lowest, but overthrow Charlie, who was high on the leaderboard. Granted, they've been splitting the figure skating votes, but those fans are probably now poised to galvanize into action for Meryl exclusively. Combined with Val's fans also going for Meryl and Tony has openly thrown his support behind them too, I wonder if she could push enough momentum along with her perfect 80 tonight to pull down everyone else and win. Personally, I hope so, because she is mesmerizing to watch. If she and Maks have a showmance only going, they are pitch perfect with the way they're playing it, because they actually have cynical me wondering about them.

Candace's costumes have gotten more risqué each week, which is bizarre, considering. I mean she was the most scantily clad tonight during her jazz, I think. I don't know what to say about her anymore, because it's obvious that a certain faction of fan is pushing her through. I don't think there's anything wrong with her openly stating her beliefs and I applaud her for having the conviction to say it and get behind it. That said, she's up against people now where her mistakes are much more obvious and I don't think she has the chops to seriously compete with the remaining four. As an aside, it's curious that her more famous brother hasn't been there to support her and seemingly hasn't mentioned word one about her competing on any of his social media. Makes me think that he thinks there's something wrong about the show and/or her competing on it.

James was better tonight, but he and Peta just don't wow me. I think it's because she comes across as really wanting to push things into raunch and keeps it barely contained. I also wondered if that "rumba" she choreographed for Charlie back during the switch that he got so dinged on for not being a rumba got sacrificed so that she could keep her only decent rumba material for James. Not that it matters in the end, but she seems so overly into James that I wouldn't doubt it.

I believe that Meryl thinks she and Maks have something special. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Maks is as into her as he's pretending to be for the sake of the show. If I had to bet money, I'd say he dumps her like a sack of shit and breaks her heart within a few weeks of the end of their run on DWTS. I'm getting really tired of the way that he obviously likes taking shots at Erin or making her uncomfortable when she's interviewing them. I can't figure out if it just goes over Meryl's head, or if she gets a kick out of it as well. I think it just doesn't register with her, because she doesn't seem mean spirited.

And I agree that Candace is out of her league. It's gotten to the point where I find myself hoping that she doesn't win, because I think the audience would be so shocked and upset that they might boo her, and I don't want to see that happen.

Are you still voting, if you don't mind me asking? I know you said you were hesitant to vote for Meryl early on because she had such an ice dance foundation, but now that the rest of the pack has proven so mediocre and/or unlikable, I wondered if you were still voting or abstaining all together?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Are you still voting, if you don't mind me asking? I know you said you were hesitant to vote for Meryl early on because she had such an ice dance foundation, but now that the rest of the pack has proven so mediocre and/or unlikable, I wondered if you were still voting or abstaining all together?
    I do still vote. I have been splitting votes between Candace, James, and Danica based on how much I enjoyed their performances. Now that Danica is gone, I only have James and Candace. Tonight I enjoyed James more.

I'm not sure what I would do if both James and Candace were eliminated. Originally, I probably would have said I'd just stay neutral, but I am so opposed to Amy winning that I might be motivated to express that by voting for Meryl, if it were down to the two of them.
    Laurent likes this.

^ Gotcha. I was just curious, since it's a contest of who's the least annoying at some points.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I believe that Meryl thinks she and Maks have something special. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Maks is as into her as he's pretending to be for the sake of the show. If I had to bet money, I'd say he dumps her like a sack of shit and breaks her heart within a few weeks of the end of their run on DWTS.
    Could be. I was waiting on him to showmance from the very beginning and they've even brought me up short, because they've done an excellent job of straddling the line of very friendly without getting too pushy about it. The longer the show goes on, the less I think they're actually involved, though they do give me pause occasionally.

^^I think they care for each other in a non-romantic way, but the hopeless romantic in me wishes they did get together...

Elite Member

I can't stand Candace. She is terrible. The way they raved over her last night was ridiculous. She has gotten better, but she is still so awkward. Yeah, Mark and she stayed together, but the movements were so slow that of course they could.

I knew Charlie was going to leave. He's simply too happy and good natured. There's no drama, nothing to exploit. He's just a really nice guy.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information