Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Dancing With the Stars 2014

i don't think its fair to think just because an ice dancer can dance on ice, that they can do Ballroom dance. It would be like a ballroom dancer ice dancing. Its not the same.

The contest is calling Dancing With The Stars, not Dancing with The Best Dancer Ever.
    Moongirl likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

I think the one big advantage most athletes bring to the table, especially the Olympic ones, is a commitment to training. They tend not to whine and fight with their pros, they just get down to business.
    Laurent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I think the one big advantage most athletes bring to the table, especially the Olympic ones, is a commitment to training. They tend not to whine and fight with their pros, they just get down to business.
    That's a good point. I think the biggest advantage is the ability to pick up and execute choreography. You'd be surprised how many people struggle with finding the beat, counting out music, and memorizing choreography. When I was coaching cheerleading, this was where people with no previous dance experience bombed at tryouts. It wasn't that they couldn't do the moves; they couldn't count the music, which made it hard for them to understand and memorize choreography.
    tulip likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    That's a good point. I think the biggest advantage is the ability to pick up and execute choreography. You'd be surprised how many people struggle with finding the beat, counting out music, and memorizing choreography. When I was coaching cheerleading, this was where people with no previous dance experience bombed at tryouts. It wasn't that they couldn't do the moves; they couldn't count the music, which made it hard for them to understand and memorize choreography.
    That's where I would fail. I can dance socially, but I tried tap dancing and was horrible! I couldn't figure out the feet and when I did, I couldn't keep up or remember the steps. When I finally got that stuff down, I didn't know what to do with my arms. I looked ridiculous. Very unnatural. I thought I had rhythm some musicality from just regular old dancing, but when I had to do something choreographed it was horrible. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the stars go in thinking it will be easy because they can move at a party, but it becomes a huge frustration when they have to do something specific.

The only thing I agreed with was who got the boot. Sayonara.

It's absurd that Charlie got harsh comments and low scores when molasses was faster than Candace in that Argentine Tango. And I'm sorry, but I don't think Amy's dance was any great shakes, either, and she got glowing reviews - I can't believe she's currently beating James and Charlie.

Danica was good despite her injury and I hate that she wasn't completely healthy to perform it full out.

Meryl is fabulous. She's amazing to watch.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Candace showed great improvement this week in terms of technique, but I agree she was not better than Charlie.

I enjoyed Meryl and Danica the most this week.

I'm so sick of Amy. I also think it was unfair to her team that they had to be judged on their dress rehearsal performances instead of their live performance because she chose not to dance. No one is ever as prepared at dress rehearsal as the real thing. And they also didn't know at the time that their scores would be based on that performance. Fortunately, their scores were still good, but they may have gotten a 10 from Len if it had been the real deal. What they should have done is told Amy that if she didn't do the team dance, she wouldn't get any points. I knew that Amy would get "injured" this week to avoid doing the team dance and BINGO. It's not like she contributed anything anyway. Her entire role basically consisted of Derek carrying her, picking her up, and swinging her around.

Although it is amazing that she's doing what she's doing, Amy is nowhere near as good as the judges make her out to be.
    Candace was much better this week than last, but I agree Charlie tends to get nitpicked and judged on the "why can't you be as perfect as Meryl" scale. That being said, I have come to realize Meryl is a much better dancer than Charlie, IMO.
    Last edited by Moongirl; April 29th, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Laurent likes this.

Elite Member

I'm not liking that they are filling the routines up with other dancers. That needs to stop. I want to see just the couple dance.

Candace bugs the shit out of me. I can't stand her.

Amy, while good, has peaked. I don't think there is any more she can do.
    Laurent likes this.

I do like Tony a lot and I wish he could stay without Nene, but it was beyond time for her to go. And leave it to her sour ass to not even mention him in the dramatic speech she gave on the way out.

Out of the ones remaining, I think it's Amy's time next. She's pushed herself and has done a lot, but I think at this point it's a lot of Derek dancing around her and doing most of the nuts and bolts of the routine while she swivels her hips and has him lift her more than strictly allowed.

I think Candace has a very large fan base who will keep her in, and from what I've read, Derek's fan base is huge, too. I don't know about Danica's, but I think Val is popular. I had never heard of James before this competition, so I wonder about him, too. There's a fairly big backlash going on for what Peta wore for their dance last night - there's lot of shade being thrown her way for the lingerie. I worry about Meryl and Charlie, too, because even though they have a lot of fans, I don't know that they have a monster fan base like Candace or Derek, but I think Maks has a lot of fans. They'll both also have to get votes from people who just enjoy their dancing and think they're awesome.

I typically vote for Candace and/or Danica depending on how much I enjoyed their dances. I voted for Amy and Derek the first couple of weeks, but I stopped voting for them when it got to the point where every dance is basically just Derek lifting and carrying Amy around. As much as I like Derek, Amy can't and doesn't do the required components at this stage, so I can't vote for her.

I've voted for James a couple of times, but I wasn't crazy about their routine on Monday. The costumes were a distraction for a lack of content and sloppy technique. I also think the viewers, myself included, are getting tired of Peta's "I may or may not be fucking my partner and LOOK how hot we are" shtick. Every season, she gets borderline inappropriate with her partner and stirs the pot with rumors that they might be more than just dance partners. Peta obviously wants people to think she and James are an item, and I seriously doubt it. Honestly, I think he's gay. I don't have a great gaydar, but he registers, majorly, every time I see him. You can be sexy in a dance without being raunchy or practically naked, and that's a concept Peta doesn't seem to understand.

I think it's a given that Meryl will be in the finals, but I'd prefer for her to be competing against Danica or Candace rather than Charlie. With Charlie, it will be a no-brainer. Meryl and Maks are technically better, and Maks has a much bigger fan base than Sharna. There would be no suspense as to who would win. If she were against someone who is not as technically good, but has a huge fan base (like Danica or Candace) there's still a chance that her opponent could win.

I think it's a given that Meryl will be in the finals, but I'd prefer for her to be competing against Danica or Candace rather than Charlie. With Charlie, it will be a no-brainer. Meryl and Maks are technically better, and Maks has a much bigger fan base than Sharna. There would be no suspense as to who would win. If she were against someone who is not as technically good, but has a huge fan base (like Danica or Candace) there's still a chance that her opponent could win.
    If that happens, I would prefer to see Meryl face Danica than Candace. And it's not because I dislike Candace, because I don't. I think she's engaging and she looks better than she ever has, but Danica is a better dancer, IMO. Even injured and struggling Monday night, she was still really good. Candace looked fantastic and I loved what she chose to wear for the Argentine Tango, but it didn't wow me. Part of that could be because Meryl and Val had danced it lights out a few weeks before, but it felt a little sedate to me. I watch the show for the dances that are showstoppers and Candace hasn't brought that yet for me.

There's a chance that Charlie could step it up in a few weeks, since I think the rest of the dances he hasn't tackled yet are not Latin and don't require as much hip action and seduction. Charlie is a talented guy, but he doesn't project lust, IMO. What he's good at, though, he does very well and I think he'll be strong in the waltz and quickstep.

I wonder if Amy might know that she's up against some really tough dances ahead and might take this injury as the moment to bow out before it becomes obvious that she's struggling. It's hard to really critique her harshly, considering, but there's about to come a point where the judges are going to have to either blatantly let her skate and acknowledge it or ding her hard, which will be awkward for everyone involved, including the viewers.

I agree Danica is a much more captivating dancer than Candace. Candace tries hard, but I think she just lacks the natural ability and grace that make people stand out as great dancers. She tends to look awkward and hesitant when she dances. You can tell she's thinking about every movement. It doesn't come naturally to her at all. Meryl and Danica both look much more comfortable. While no one can even approach Meryl's level of experience and ability, Danica is the only remaining contestant (other than Charlie) who comes close for me in terms of entertainment.

I do suspect that Amy is using the injury as an excuse to bow out. She can't do what's required at this stage in the competition, and I think any notion they may have had that she'd be able to skate through on viewer votes is gone. Most people on the DWTS boards I've seen seem to dislike Amy, mainly because of the blatant favoritism the judges give her, looking the other way and giving her 10s for dances with illegal choreography and little to no content on her part, other than being lifted and carried around by Derek, or standing in a cloud of fog and lights so you can't see her (lack of) footwork. I think TPTB tried hard to pimp Amy with constant sob stories, and it backfired. She came across as someone who wants, expects, and is willing to accept special treatment and sympathy scores/votes, and the viewers usually don't like that.

And a random sidenote: I've bee disappointed/surprised that Danica and Candace haven't brought a better star turnout in the audience. They were on two of the hugest sitcoms of the 90s, and I was expecting their former co-stars to be there supporting them. I thought for sure we'd see Fred Savage. None of The Wonder Years cast has been there, even though I know most of them were at Danica's wedding several years ago. And where are Uncle Joey, Uncle Jesse, Danny Tanner? It's strange to me that more Full House people haven't been there on a regular basis, because they've made a big deal in the recent past about how the cast is still super close.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    If that happens, I would prefer to see Meryl face Danica than Candace. And it's not because I dislike Candace, because I don't. I think she's engaging and she looks better than she ever has, but Danica is a better dancer, IMO. Even injured and struggling Monday night, she was still really good. Candace looked fantastic and I loved what she chose to wear for the Argentine Tango, but it didn't wow me. Part of that could be because Meryl and Val had danced it lights out a few weeks before, but it felt a little sedate to me. I watch the show for the dances that are showstoppers and Candace hasn't brought that yet for me.

There's a chance that Charlie could step it up in a few weeks, since I think the rest of the dances he hasn't tackled yet are not Latin and don't require as much hip action and seduction. Charlie is a talented guy, but he doesn't project lust, IMO. What he's good at, though, he does very well and I think he'll be strong in the waltz and quickstep.

I wonder if Amy might know that she's up against some really tough dances ahead and might take this injury as the moment to bow out before it becomes obvious that she's struggling. It's hard to really critique her harshly, considering, but there's about to come a point where the judges are going to have to either blatantly let her skate and acknowledge it or ding her hard, which will be awkward for everyone involved, including the viewers.

I do suspect that Amy is using the injury as an excuse to bow out. She can't do what's required at this stage in the competition, and I think any notion they may have had that she'd be able to skate through on viewer votes is gone. Most people on the DWTS boards I've seen seem to dislike Amy, mainly because of the blatant favoritism the judges give her, looking the other way and giving her 10s for dances with illegal choreography and little to no content on her part, other than being lifted and carried around by Derek, or standing in a cloud of fog and lights so you can't see her (lack of) footwork. I think TPTB tried hard to pimp Amy with constant sob stories, and it backfired. She came across as someone who wants, expects, and is willing to accept special treatment and sympathy scores/votes, and the viewers usually don't like that.
    I think Amy coming over the top with the crying over her boyfriend didn't help her. They all have stuff going on, but not all of them are showboating it all over the place. I read elsewhere that apparently Meryl broke one of her toes during the Argentine Tango a few weeks back and has since been dancing and skating on it, so Amy whining about not hanging out enough with her boyfriend because of her schedule has me rolling my eyes out the door.
    southernbelle likes this.

The more important question is does anybody have a link to where McKellar is wearing those really tiny denim shorts in her dance routine?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The more important question is does anybody have a link to where McKellar is wearing those really tiny denim shorts in her dance routine?
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information