Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crash winning Best Motion Picture one of the biggest Academy Awards upsets

Default Re: Crash winning Best Motion Picture one of the biggest Academy Awards upsets

Yes..and sandra's acting was just really stiff..it did seem like a play..a really bad highschool play
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Default Re: Crash winning Best Motion Picture one of the biggest Academy Awards upsets

Crash was about more than just Racism. Just like Brokeback Mountain was about more than just Gay Cowboys. And I will never be convinced that Crash was heavy-handed. NEVER, I say! It was fucking brilliant. And, oh, the suspense!

I guess y'all're all hippy-dippy, yippy-skippy types. Or white? Either way, kudos to you if your reaction to the movie is "Meh" because, sadly, IT STILL HAPPENS. Crash did not lie: that's how they roll in L.A.

SVZ

i realize they didn't lie and on some level whenever you meet someone their race is the first thing you see. but it did feel heavy handed to me

No I'm not white at all..I just really did not care for the movie.

Yeah..it seemed really obvious..I don't know how to explain it.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

LOL it was SO heavyhanded! There was nothing subtle about it at all.. it was like being smacked with a sledgehammer of stereotypes and morality, wrapped up in a tidy package of "everyone is connected to everyone, even in a city of like 10 million people".
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman
    I'm very glad Crash won. It was an excellent film. I live in LA and the portrayal was very accurate. Racism is still very prevalent just not as obvious as the old days. I saw it when it was first released, I found it interesting that there were so many stars in it, but no one had a leading role. I walked out in the end in a daze...it really made me think.
    EXACTLY!! Not to mention, me and my friend (and all the other people I knew who saw it) were still talking about it a week later!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    LOL it was SO heavyhanded! There was nothing subtle about it at all.. it was like being smacked with a sledgehammer of stereotypes and morality, wrapped up in a tidy package of "everyone is connected to everyone, even in a city of like 10 million people".
    But, it's, like, so true, y'know? You hippy, you!

ETA: I'm a fickle bitch. I saw the movie just once. So, ok, maybe, just maybe, after I see it again, I'll concede its heavy-handed-ness...

SVZ

ohhhh NOW I get it!!!!

it's about revenge

the best way to find the man who raped you is to get into a car crash! he'll come and save you, then you can nail the bitch!

The car crash scene had to be the worse one..its hard to explain but when I watched it I knew I was watching a movie..and I knew they were acting..I really think the reason that there is so much hype is because no one has done this..not because it was a good movie

Can we subtract reputation points now? Because, MrsMarsters, I TOTALLY disagree with everything you said! Especially the part about the actors.

God, I love it! Everybody has their own opinion about this movie! And *cough* every opinion is WRONG, unless you agree with ME. HAH!

Gold Member

I think it's funny how some people LOVE this movie and others HATE it. There's no in between.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ hahah thats funny b/c I agree w/ everything MrsMarsters said!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I'm non-White and the movie touched me at a very personal level.
    Some of the issues portrayed in Crash were yes obvious and heavy-handed as some of you say but it is the reality many ppl live in. Often times when ppl discuss racism, others complain about them being too PC, unfair that someone pulled the race card, being too sensitive etc so I've felt like I had to suck it up, swallow it and keep it deep down and ignore it cuz I want to live my life simple and happy, I don't want to be constanly feeling inferior and condescended because of the things that happen to me that I consider racist or being accused of such things as being too PC/sensitive.

I could also personally relate to the characters in this movie. I'm going to say that I am a racist at some level, too. Everyone is one, just admit it, come clean, be honest. I have racial sterotypes, I may not like certain ppl or I may be scared of certain ppl because of their colour of skin . But at the same time everyone is also on the recieving end of racism in a way or another whatever race you may be.

I think that a part of me had subconcsiously denied in my mind and heart that racism exist both explicitly and implicitly but this movie made me face it and accept it whether I like it or not.
    I don't know which awards Crash won (I don't care!) but it is a good movie and that's all I gotta say.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    Crash was about more than just Racism. Just like Brokeback Mountain was about more than just Gay Cowboys. And I will never be convinced that Crash was heavy-handed. NEVER, I say! It was fucking brilliant. And, oh, the suspense!

I guess y'all're all hippy-dippy, yippy-skippy types. Or white? Either way, kudos to you if your reaction to the movie is "Meh" because, sadly, IT STILL HAPPENS. Crash did not lie: that's how they roll in L.A.
    I 100% agree with you Wicked, love it or hate it, it is the best movie I have seen regarding racism
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Racism is so passé
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ Yo mama's passe!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information