Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Chernobyl series (HBO)

i never get the thing about the accents. They wouldn't be speaking English with Russian accents irl, they'd just be speaking Russian so hearing English without a Russian accent seems fine to me.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

After reading what Sputnik and WCG said, another thing occurred to me -- this series is going to be dubbed into about 70 different languages for distribution all over the world. For all of those people it won't make a bit of difference what the original actors sounded like. Moreover, while the show had a pretty decent budget, I think it probably would have been a big chunk of change to spring for dialect coaches for the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    that movie is hilarious.

i actually loved that they had british accents instead of fake russian ones that always sound like the fake accents russian villains had in any cold war movie. it's a british show so they could either hire russian actors and film it in russian, or english actors and film it in english and it's akin to watching something dubbed, except better. russian actors speaking in english is weird because like the podcasts mentioned, you lose the natural flow.
    That's true, it's better to just get Russian actors speaking Russian if you want the accent. A lot of fake accents are really bad and distract even more.
    sputnik likes this.

The British accent didn't bother me at all, especially as there's virtually zero Russian language in the show. If it switched between Russian and English I would have been more bothered. You either film it all in Russian, with native speakers, or just go with it in English.

We have one Ep to go, ep 5. Taking this show slowly as it's just hard to watch, I can't binge it. So depressing and it just never seems to get any better.
    Nevan likes this.

I knew someone was going to complain about the damn accents. They always do. I didn't mind them being British. Also something to think about: Russia is massive and full of many dialects and this isn't even Russia it's the Ukraine, so were they supposed to hire dialect coaches to teach Russian and Ukrainian and Gorky knows what other accents there are? It's better to do it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    One of the best episodes of The X-Files ever was probably one of the grossest ones ever. Nuclear swamp thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    ^^ The Fluke Man! I think the most difficult episode for me was Home.

Back to Chernobyl, I had to leave the room for the dog scenes.
    I was so good for days not bringing Flukie into this. In the comic, they go more in depth about how Flukie was a product of Chernobyl. Poor Flukie.

But bringing it back to Chernobyl...I was on the wiki page and they show a picture of this poor little baby pig that was I think was born alive and was beyond being malformed. It made me sad to think that creature drew breath. And then I think about how animals are far too good to us.

I also saw a story on the DM about a girl that grew up in Pripyat in the aftermath, eating irradiated fish from the streams and milk from the cows grazing on irradiated grass...and she's apparently fine and going to college.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

That pig was born with birth defects that are known from radiation poisoning. They have double and even triple legs where there should only be one. It's crazy and scary that we are capable of creating something that can cause that kind of defect.

Dolem ... episode 5 is the best and one that I was glued to the tv the whole time. It explains what happened from the beginning to the end and flashbacks to portions of what happened in the control room during each portion of the preparation for the test. The epilogue was very moving too. That whole episode is mesmerizing. This is my favorite clip, I can't stop watching it ... https://youtu.be/WzQJS5eMWiw .... it's of the control rods, which have an enormous weight, jumping up and down. I've also looked up lots of pictures of the "red forest". This area was so heavily contaminated that it will uninhabitable for 24,000 to 50,000 years. I watched some guy that had a really interesting YouTube tour of several areas in Pripyat (fun fact, I have found ELEVEN different pronunciations of this town on the internet) and he went near the red forest (although I don't think he was authorized to) and the Geiger counter went nuts.

I really don't understand why Akimov was on trial. He was taking direct orders (along with threats, bullying and berating) from Dyatlov. In Soviet Russia, you do what you're told by your superiors or you lose everything, sometimes even your life.

Weird side note for you mystery lovers ... Dyatlov (the name, not the person) Pass. I've read about it for years and was always on the fence as to which theory made more sense (none of them really did). It's spooky and creepy and also happened in Russia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

I read a really new interesting theory on what happened just the other day from a research excursion (it's out in the middle of nowhere) that was from earlier this year ... katabatic wind. There are SO many crazy theories that have kept this mystery alive for years. Be forewarned ... it's a rabbit hole (at least it was for me).
    Sarzy likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Absolutely was transfixed by this series; thought it fantastically done, and reiterated the horrific events I’d remembered in stark reality, though Emily Watson’s character was an amalgamation. It sent me down a rabbit hole as well, and came across a very interesting documentary, “The Babushkas of Chernobyl,” about some who had been displaced and returned.
    Nevan and Sarzy like this.

I'm trying not to read too much in the thread cause we only started this yesterday. We've seen just the first episode and we're so hooked. I tried posting about it yesterday too but while editing the comment on my phone I managed to delete it!!! It's particularly affecting for me and the bf since we both have memories of the incident. We got into a fight over whether Greece or Norway got the worst of the radioactive cloud and Norway won by a lot. They had something like 6 times the amount that Greece got. I was surprised because I thought with the hysteria in Greece we might have gotten more. There were roughly 2500 abortions in Greece after Chernobyl. We knew a lady who went ahead and did it even though it was very much a wanted child but she was so distraught at the thought of something being wrong that she couldn't take it. We were living in the very north of Greece at that time, right at the border with Turkey so we got quite a bit more than the rest. My mother wouldn't let me go to school because our gym teachers wanted us to exercise in the yard
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Donít put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

I was in Canada and I remember people freaking out and being scared to drink milk because it was contaminated. Along with the challenger shuttle explosion it was one of the first news stories I remember.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

People were afraid in Canada??? Was it imported milk or something?

In Norway even now they have to test reindeer meat to make sure it's not above acceptable levels of radiation.

I read up on the post Chernobyl abortions and it appears they are estimated at between 100.000 to 200.000 all over Europe. All of them very much wanted babies that were aborted cause of the incident and their mothers' fear and medical advice they received.

Watched episode 2 last night. Yikes, Vnimanie, Vnimanie, 3.6 roentgen, the general saying he'll do it himself and driving in the plant with the lead shielded truck like a badass, some brilliantly subtle acting by both Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgaard. My goodness, looking at Shcherbina's face when Legasov says they only have another 5 years to live... there are just too many moments to mention. urge to bingewatch is intensifying
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Donít put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

^^^^
    no, but the radiation cloud traveled all the way to canada and some milk samples came back with elevated levels of radioactive substances, they were negligible amounts and still safe but people still freaked out. i have vague memories of my mom debating whether or not to let us have milk.
    Nevan and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Speaking of radiation, my dad (a spokesman) was quoted in the Boston Globe once, responding to a bunch of reports about elevated radiation levels in Navy shipyards. They were actually minimal, and he said something like, "Some people have the impression that if they are exposed to a tiny amount of radiation, they will glow in the dark." The higher ups were not happy about it, and told him to be a little less colorful, but it was cool to see him in the paper.
    Waterslide and sputnik like this.

Yanna, you have to understand that this kind of nuclear accident was the worst this world has ever seen. Throw in the lies and denials from Soviet Russia, and people everywhere were scared. The radiation and nuclear fallout was seen in distances that were never believed to be able to exist that far from Chernobyl. The whole world was terrified.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

I realized that the actual disaster happened the day my grandfather died. It didn't come out in the news until a bit after that, so I don't even associate the two memories with each other. I remember the stuff about Canada, too.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Didnít it? I had friends caught in downpours on the Yorkshire moors and it never felt like we didnít *know* about it as far as any one knows anything about Russia at that time.

Nevan - being Europeans we were thousands of miles closer to the whole thing.
    Nevan and Waterslide like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information