Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Chernobyl series (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    You're thinking of Iodine-131 which has a half life of 8 days and settles in the Thyriod which is why there has been a spike in thyriod cancer in the areas direcetly effect by the disaster.

From wikipedia: "The four most harmful radionuclides spread from Chernobyl were iodine-131, caesium-134, caesium-137 and strontium-90, with half-lives of 8.02 days, 2.07 years, 30.2 years and 28.8 years respectively.[151]:8 The iodine was initially viewed with less alarm than the other isotopes, because of its short half-life, but it is highly volatile, and now appears to have travelled furthest and caused the most severe health problems in the short term.[107]:24 Strontium, on the other hand, is the least volatile of the four, and of main concern in the areas near Chernobyl itself.[151]:8 Iodine tends to become concentrated in thyroid and milk glands, leading, among other things, to increased incidence of thyroid cancers. Caesium tends to accumulate in vital organs such as the heart,[152]:133 while strontium accumulates in bones, and may thus be a risk to bone-marrow and lymphocytes.[151]:8 Radiation is most damaging to cells that are actively dividing. In adult mammals cell division is slow, except in hair follicles, skin, bone marrow and the gastrointestinal tract, which is why vomiting and hair loss are common symptoms of acute radiation sickness.[153]:42" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno...r#Human_impact
    Sorry, I forgot to quote this above and it won't let me put it in now.

Yes, you are correct. That is what the tablet is supposed to protect against in the event of a disaster at the nuclear plant but I've been told I can't take it because of my iodine allergy. I'm not sure what the part I quoted above is talking about. Just to be clear, there have been a few tiny accidents at Oyster Creek, but nothing that alerted the public in the 10 mile radius, so I've never taken or even seen these tablets. The closest thing we had was the Three Mile Island accident in Pennsylvania. We wouldn't have been in the 10 mile radius, but it's only 88 miles away from here. Chernobyl on the other hand, is the worst nuclear accident to happen in the world. Fukushima is right behind it.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

This series is something else. I really didn't think it would be my thing when himself suggested we try it but now I'm hooked and feel like I can barely breathe during some of the more intense scenes. It's so incredibly atmospheric and well done and if you haven't watched it yet you should really, really try it.
    Nevan likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'm halfway through this series, and it is haunting me.
    Everything almost feels surreal, it is hard believing this actually happened. I had a hard time refraining from screaming at my TV when the pregnant woman puts her highly radioactive husband's hand on her stomach, and when they all just breathed and touched everything without any form of protection at all.

I found this article:
    https://grapevine.is/news/2019/05/29...nuclear-plant/

and found it super interesting, the music definitely captures the eerie and ominous atmosphere
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I don't want to spoil the ending (even though it's based on history), but I was really moved by the finale. I got misty during the ending. I would have liked even more, even though I know the story. And don't for a minute think that Putin's Russia isn't just as secretive and insular as 1986 Soviet Union.

Tiny Pixie, the woman and her baby have an epilogue at the end of the 5th episode finale.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Weirdly coincidental, I received an alert text from the county sheriff's office about an hour ago that an Oyster Creek siren test would be happening for three minutes at noon. I'm sure there are numerous sirens since they have to cover a 10 mile radius and beyond, but one of the sirens is located just a few blocks away from here. It's one of those old fashioned sirens that spin around so it gets louder than lower, repeat. I don't remember the last test, but honestly, after hearing siren tests for so many years (all my life), if I hadn't gotten an alert, I probably wouldn't have really noticed it unless it went on for a long time. And I get SO many alerts from the sheriff's office ... weather, road conditions, accidents, construction, even when Long Beach Island (LBI) is full during the summer!

One of the best episodes of The X-Files ever was probably one of the grossest ones ever. Nuclear swamp thing....

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ The Fluke Man! I think the most difficult episode for me was Home.

Back to Chernobyl, I had to leave the room for the dog scenes.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I think I will start this this weekend. My coworker is watching and he highly recommended it. Question though, he said all the actors are speaking with British accents. Why? Shouldnt everyone have Russian accents?
    I'mNotBitter and Nevan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    I think I will start this this weekend. My coworker is watching and he highly recommended it. Question though, he said all the actors are speaking with British accents. Why? Shouldnt everyone have Russian accents?
    That really irked me too! They don't sound like any Sergeis or Vasilys to me.
    I finished 2 eps, and it's fine. My sister raved about it so maybe it gets better?

It’s a fantastic show. Had to stop myself from staying up ridiculously late to binge it on a weeknight. Jared Harris and all the actors are amazing and it’s very well done.
    that said it does take some massive liberties, presents some Chernobyl urban legends as fact, and there are also some scientific inaccuracies. Radiation is not contagious, once the affected person has been decontaminated and their clothes removed so the idea of the baby dying because of radiation contamination from the firefighter father is BS. Also the people on the bridge all dying is also an urban legend at best. So yeah I get taking some liberties for dramatisation but there were a few instances of unnecessary sensationalism. But that’s basically me nitpicking, overall it’s a fantastic show.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think they just didn't think the accents were important compared to the story and getting all the environmental details right. If you want to see a REALLY extreme example of this, look for "The Death of Stalin" - it's a kind of comic-drama surrounding the death of Stalin and how his various accolytes and sychopants made everything worse out of abject fear of him. You will be treated to Steve Buscemi portraying Nikita Kruschev with a NJ/NY accent!
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    Yeah I'm finding it odd that they didnt get them to put on Russian accents. Maybe that would have sounded worse but it doesnt seem realistic to have them with British accents. It is a great show though, I'm up to episode 4.

Gold Member

The accent issue was touched on in the shows podcast. Sometimes using an actors natural accent flows better than a vaguely European accent. Basically, it comes across cartoonish if not done well. I think it was explained in the first episode they produced.
    Sarzy and Kittylady like this.

I think that given it’s a British-US production maybe the decision was made to go British to give it a “foreign” feel -HBO have been burned with low viewing figures due to European accents in the past....

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    It’s a fantastic show. Had to stop myself from staying up ridiculously late to binge it on a weeknight. Jared Harris and all the actors are amazing and it’s very well done.
    that said it does take some massive liberties, presents some Chernobyl urban legends as fact, and there are also some scientific inaccuracies. Radiation is not contagious, once the affected person has been decontaminated and their clothes removed so the idea of the baby dying because of radiation contamination from the firefighter father is BS. Also the people on the bridge all dying is also an urban legend at best. So yeah I get taking some liberties for dramatisation but there were a few instances of unnecessary sensationalism. But that’s basically me nitpicking, overall it’s a fantastic show.
    All.the.time!!!
    So many films do this.

Anyway....

Radiation would have damaged the film kit': where Sky's Chernobyl was really shot

The hit show, starring Jared Harris, right, was mainly shot in Lithuania

• Annabel Fenwick Elliott

5 JUNE 2019 • 6:00 AMLast night saw the last episode in Sky's riveting drama about the 1986 Chernobyl power plant disaster, one of the worst man-made catastrophes ever to befall our planet. It's not often The Telegraph dishes out five-star TV reviews, but this show earned it.

Along with stellar performances from the largely-British cast, no expense was spared to bring the Soviet-era nuclear warning tale to life visually; from the costumes and stage make-up to the backdrops and special effects. But where was it filmed?

Not at the real Chernobyl wasteland that still stands today in what is now Ukraine, but rather in Lithuania, mainly at Chernobyl’s sister power plant, Ignalina, with other portions filmed in suitably gloomy towns and city neighbourhoods around the country.
    “We went to the Chernobyl zone to see how some of the old villages look like,” says Jonas Spokas, CEO of the Baltic Locations firm that managed the production. “However, it’s not a good place to film, it’s very remote and offers nothing you can’t find in Lithuania.
    "You can’t really stay in the Chernobyl zone for too long as the filming equipment is really sensitive to radiation. And it’s all abandoned, while we needed Pripyat to be alive.”
    Pripyat, reborn in Fabijoniškės CREDIT: SKYCOP/HBO

The hunt for locations began in the autumn of 2016, and filming took place over spring and summer last year. More than 40 locations made it into the show, and more than 1,000 hours of footage was shot. Here are the key sets...
    Kaunas

Kaunas - a south-central city in Lithuania that’s known for its interwar architecture - was an ideal stand-in for the Soviet Moscow we see in the series, where officials liaise with Pripyat on the escalating disaster throughout the series.

Outlined last year as one of Telegraph Travel’s 13 second cities you'd never thought to visit, “the once-capital of Lithuania has a charming vibe, with a cobbled old town, cultural landmarks and surrounding countryside. Not too far from the Baltic coast, it can also be the start of a tour that traces the borders of the old Eastern Bloc”.
    The Moscow apartment belonging to reluctant protagonist Valery Legasov (Jared Harris), chief of the inquiry into the disaster, was discovered in Kaunas by accident; filmed in an impressive art-deco building.
    Chernobyl has a largely-British cast CREDIT: SKYCOP/HBO

The creepy 6th clinic in Moscow, where injured firefighters from Pripyat were flown for treatment, was recreated in the former 8th building of Kaunas Technical University, now privatised. The KGB prison and the work room at the nuclear research institute, meanwhile, were filmed at a radio factory.
    Kaunas was also used to shoot scenes representing Chernobyl. One of the most memorable moments from episode one - in which Pripyat locals stand on a bridge entirely unaware of the scale of the explosion, as radioactive fallout swirls around them like pollen - was shot at M. Gimbutienė Street in Petrašiūnai, a neighbourhood in the east end of Kaunas, where stands an abandoned water-supply bridge.
    "The director, Johan Renck said that he could not have even dreamed of it when we showed him,” Spokas told travel compensation site Skycop. “He was looking for a spot that seemed to emerge out of nothing. This bridge is just like that: purposeless, it seems have neither a beginning nor an end. Built over a railroad track and meant for the water pipes running from the Petrašiūnai cemetery, it’s abandoned and decaying.”
    Chernobyl scenes were also filmed at a former helicopter maintenance hangar in Kaunas; and the episode in which firefighters are seen dousing Pripyat houses with chemicals was staged on Chemikų street in Kedainiai, 30 miles north of the city centre on the banks of the Nevėžis River.
    Director Johan Renck, left, with two of the actors on set CREDIT: KALPESH LATHIGRA

The small time-capsule town of Pravieniškės, east of Kaunas, was the grey backdrop for other outdoor scenes. "It’s a unique town, devoid of any tourist traps; you’d never think to visit it. However, it’s a must-see for those pining for the Soviet atmosphere,” Jonas remarks.
    Vilnius

When Telegraph Travel’s Hugh Morris visited Lithuania’s capital, he returned with 15 good reasons to follow suit. “Lithuania’s cool, compact capital is one of the driving forces behind the country’s booming tourism industry,” he wrote. “Boasting the largest medieval old town in central and eastern Europe, Vilnius is increasingly popular for its warming sense of history, bewitching architectural heritage and bustling cafe culture.”
    Naturally, the scenic landmarks that dominate this metropolis weren't suitable to emulate the grim industrial town of Pripyat - built in 1970 to house plant workers and their families, all 50,000 of whom had to be evacuated - but the city’s northern district of Fabioniškės was perfect.
    "It’s a very symbolic and cinematographic district,” says Spokas, "reflecting the idea of Pripyat; an idealized Soviet city of the future, quite wonderfully. Fabioniškės is a symmetrical district - the forms are aggressive, there’s a lot of concrete and greyness.”
    More than 1,000 hours of footage was shot to create the miniseries CREDIT: SKYCOP/HBO

Production designer Luke Hull adds: “I knew we could never recreate it, but we found a town here in Lithuania which had the same kind of ‘designed for living’ look, quite a modern town, but built in a hurry. We turned car parks into green spaces, covered PVC windows in wallpaper paste, put in lots of roses – that’s one thing you notice in the real footage of the evacuation: the flowers.”
    Visaginas

One of Lithuania's 60 municipalities, located in the north-east, Visaginas is home to several villages and most importantly, the Ignalina nuclear power plant, which stood in for Chernobyl.
    “All the power plant environments you see in the series - except for the ruined bits - were filmed here,” Spokas states. “The firefighters driving towards the fire, the divers going into the pipes, the miners coming in to dig the shaft - it’s all here, as the atmosphere at IAE is unique, impossible to recreate anywhere else.
    "However, it’s also a site of strategic importance for Lithuania, so filming there was not easy.” Currently, the plant is being decommissioned as one of the conditions under which Lithuania will join the European Union.
    Tours can still be arranged of the IAE plant and the Visaginas training center CREDIT: SKYCOP/HBO

Tours can still be arranged of the IAE plant as it stands today, as well as of the Visaginas training center - where the control panel-simulator is identical to the one in Chernobyl. This simulator allowed the staging of various scenarios, even the explosion; and today, visitors can even push the legendary emergency protection button 'AZ-5'.

“Seeing the IAE is much more interesting than visiting the real Chernobyl," insists Spokas. "Sure, the real spot is more authentic and emotionally impressive, but it’s only a ruin. At the IAE, you can really feel how big and complex a nuclear power plant is.
    "Nothing else in Lithuania can match the sheer scale, importance and size you experience when you see the reactors and walk above them.”

Ukraine

“Some scenes we could not film in Lithuania were filmed in Ukraine,” Spokas says. Overall, that amounted to 20 12-hour shifts. “The scene where the miners are encouraged to go to Chernobyl were filmed in Kiev, at the Nuclear Power Plants and Engineering Thermal Physics Department.
    "There was also the scene where the Belorussian scientist Ulana Khomyuk (Emily Watson) notices the increasing radiation in the background. Additionally, only in Kiev could we find some of the backgrounds of the size we needed to represent Moscow.”
    Finally, Kiev was where the scenes featuring the Mi-8 helicopters - twin-turbine models designed by the Soviet Union - were filmed. "There’s only two of them in Lithuania and they’re always on rescue duty, so could be called away at any moment.”
    The only scenes that couldn't be shot in Lithuania were filmed in Ukraine CREDIT: SKYCOP/HBO

Can I visit the real Chernobyl?

Yes. Organised tours of Chernobyl, the only way you can visit, have been offered since the late Nineties, and conveniently, Telegraph Travel's Oliver Smith found himself on a stag do last year. You read all about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think they just didn't think the accents were important compared to the story and getting all the environmental details right. If you want to see a REALLY extreme example of this, look for "The Death of Stalin" - it's a kind of comic-drama surrounding the death of Stalin and how his various accolytes and sychopants made everything worse out of abject fear of him. You will be treated to Steve Buscemi portraying Nikita Kruschev with a NJ/NY accent!
    that movie is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Yeah I'm finding it odd that they didnt get them to put on Russian accents. Maybe that would have sounded worse but it doesnt seem realistic to have them with British accents. It is a great show though, I'm up to episode 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    The accent issue was touched on in the shows podcast. Sometimes using an actors natural accent flows better than a vaguely European accent. Basically, it comes across cartoonish if not done well. I think it was explained in the first episode they produced.
    i actually loved that they had british accents instead of fake russian ones that always sound like the fake accents russian villains had in any cold war movie. it's a british show so they could either hire russian actors and film it in russian, or english actors and film it in english and it's akin to watching something dubbed, except better. russian actors speaking in english is weird because like the podcasts mentioned, you lose the natural flow.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information