Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cashmere Mafia...anyone watching?

I liked it. I wasn't the biggest fan of SATC and don't think this is really copying it. I mean, two marrieds--with kids? That's not at all SATC. And thank dog there's no Carrie-type character. In fact, it's more like four Mirandas, and she's the only reason I watch SATC for a season and a half.

However, I found the sexism portrayed in the show to be a bit over-the-top. Men might assume a woman would be responsible for pouring the coffee in a room full of managers. No one would ever make that assumption of the COO. That's just silly. It would have been nice if they'd created a more realistic situation to demonstrate what women face in the corporate workplace. I should send in stories from my job.

I was pleased to see that the lesbian love interest is scheduled to be around for more than the typical 2 or 3 "oooscandalouslesbianzz" episodes.

I'm going to give it a few more eps before making up my mind. I hope it continues to settle into its own groove. They were trying too hard in the pilot, IMHO.

I'm a huge SATC fan (queue booing now...yes I know you guys hate it!) and I actually like this show...but the acting is lame to the 10th.

Lucy Liu sucks as an actress though...that whole "walk thru the fire" speech was lame-O. And if those bitches mention business school one more time (or B school, or Biz School, or any other lame attempts to discuss their masters degrees!) We get it...you can read! Good for you!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

What's the difference between Cashmere Mafia and Lipstick Jungle? I saw commericals for both, and Lipstick Jungle looks better, imo. I love SATC, so I hope I like this new show.

When does lipstick jungle premier? I'm eager to see it as well. Hopefully they won't both be on on the same night at the same time. I very rarely get into television shows, so I'm hoping this will be another one to catch my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    When does lipstick jungle premier? I'm eager to see it as well. Hopefully they won't both be on on the same night at the same time. I very rarely get into television shows, so I'm hoping this will be another one to catch my attention.
    Somewhere between Feb 5-7. I know it's in there, I am just not sure of the day.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

The episode tonight actually captured my attention, despite my being fully distracted. I think this show could be a sleeper like Gossip Girl: it gets better and better with each episode.

Though whoever the brunette actress is, the one who was playing laser tag at her son's bday party in tonight's episode, she SUCKS. She's a terrible actress.

and the redhead isnt much better... i loved her on The Starter Wife as Cricket, but she's so.... frigid. Very restrained, unexpressive.

But somehow, it drew me in. I really loved the Asian actor that played Lucy Liu's boyfriend. Hes a great actor, whoever he is.

The first five minutes of this show...I just hated it. I thought/think the three woman attempting to act alongside Lucy were just awful. I don't know if I'll watch again. I already forget what day it comes on.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

and the redhead isnt much better... i loved her on The Starter Wife as Cricket, but she's so.... frigid. Very restrained, unexpressive.
    Is it just me or does she also appear..........older. The frigid presentation does little to liven her up. She seems older than the rest.

I've dedicated myself to watching this and like the episodes so far. I like Lucy's character and it's good to see an Asian woman in a leading role. The Asian guy who she dated last night also had lots of charisma and I'm glad she let Jack keep on walking. I'm also glad the redhead kicked her husband out. Now she just needs to slut it up a little and we're good to go. The blonde is aggravating me. I have little patience for adults who haven't figured out who the fuck they are and she seems like a teenager, and not in a flattering way. I have a hard time taking her seriously as a business woman.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    What's the difference between Cashmere Mafia and Lipstick Jungle? I saw commericals for both, and Lipstick Jungle looks better, imo. I love SATC, so I hope I like this new show.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    Lipstick Jungle premieres on Feb. 7th; here's an article that compares the 2 shows:

MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ‘Cashmere’? ‘Lipstick’? What’s the difference?
    The NBC series doesn’t feel quite as contrived, but neither show is strong
    The Associated Press
    updated 2:54 p.m. PT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008
    NEW YORK - “Cashmere Mafia”? “Lipstick Jungle”?

As titles go, these are lively, inviting and interchangeable — although “Lipstick Jungle” evokes the business world as a jungle tamed by women, which is pretty much the opposite message of the show (“Cashmere Mafia,” too).

But never mind all that.

From a creative standpoint, “Cashmere” (Wednesdays at 10 p.m. EST on ABC) comes across as strictly a synthetic blend. That was evident right away. On the other hand, its sister serial “Lipstick” (premieres Thursday, Feb. 7 at 10 p.m. on NBC) is glossy and bright. But is it clever enough to stay alive in the jungle of prime time? (Msnbc.com is a joint venture between NBC Universal and Microsoft.)

See for yourself. The two series are disconcertingly similar. Take this test: Once you’ve got the titles straight, watch a couple of episodes of both shows, then try to remember which things happened on which series.

While “Cashmere” focuses on four hard-driving Manhattan career women (played by Lucy Liu, Frances O’Connor, Miranda Otto and Bonnie Somerville), “Lipstick” focuses on three hard-driving Manhattan career women (played by Brooke Shields, Kim Raver and Lindsay Price). On both shows, glam gals support one another in matters personal and professional, as each pursues the manifesto of Having It All.

Despite crammed schedules, they manage to find sufficient “we time” to confide and commiserate, often over wine or cocktails (which never seem to interfere with work).

What are their tony professions?

On “Cashmere,” it’s finance, the hotel industry, cosmetics marketing — and running magazines.

On “Lipstick,” it’s fashion design, movies — and running a magazine.

As yet another parallel, publishing bosses Lucy Liu and Kim Raver are each lorded over by someone who’s not just a man, he’s a pompous Brit. (Don’t any Yanks run media companies these days?)

Friendship on ‘Lipstick’ is more believable
    But there are differences. “Cashmere” seems patently contrived, “Lipstick” not quite so contrived. The leading ladies of “Cashmere” are wound too tight, while the women on “Lipstick” seem to have more fun. And unlike the paint-by-numbers “Cashmere” foursome, the friendship on “Lipstick” is believable.

Consider how, after a business setback, designer Victory Ford (played by Price) gets a friendly pep talk.

Studio head Wendy (Shields) offers up her weekend house in the Hamptons, where the refrigerator waits, “stocked with Dove Bars and weed.”

No, argues Raver’s character, Nico, who tells Victory to stay and fight.

“When they smell fear in this town, it’s over,” Nico warns.

Well, the friendship is sort of believable.

Another way the shows differ: Adversaries to the heroines of “Cashmere” can be female, but each of them must clearly be branded as a slut. Whereas on “Lipstick,” Wendy and Victory have foes in the business world who just happen to be women.

Fighting the battle of the sexes
    Meanwhile, “Lipstick” takes a sassier approach to the gender war.

On “Cashmere,” hotel exec Juliet (Otto) has discovered her husband is having an affair with someone she knows. She threatens to repay him with revenge sex, vowing to have an affair of her own.

“If Davis can routinely have sex without consequences, why can’t I?” Juliet says to her friends.

“Because you’re a woman,” counsels the kinder, gentler Zoe (O’Connor).

Whatever the reason, when Juliet gets her golden opportunity, she can’t go through with it.

But on “Lipstick,” Raver’s character, Nico, proactively cheats on her bookish, academics-focused husband of 17 years. She’s tired of how he neglects her, um, needs, and when a hunky younger man puts the moves on her, she can’t pass it up. Sure, she feels awful afterward. But not so awful she doesn’t do it again.

“I don’t know why we expect to get everything from one person,” she muses to her chums with no further explanation. Cue the margaritas.

If “Lipstick Jungle” has the edge on reflecting a female point of view, no wonder. It’s based on the novel of the same name by Candace Bushnell, who serves as an executive producer. Bushnell, of course, is the best-selling author of an earlier book that inspired the HBO hit “Sex in the City” — four smokin’ bachelorettes romping through a version of New York from the last century.

But the DNA of that series can also be detected in “Cashmere.” No surprise there, either. The creator of “Sex in the City,” Darren Star, is a “Cashmere” executive producer.

A few years ago he tried to develop “Lipstick Jungle” in partnership with Bushnell, before selling his own, conspicuously similar new show to ABC.

Sadly, both series are deficient. But if Bushnell and Star had stuck together, who knows? The show that resulted might have had it all.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: ‘Cashmere’? ‘Lipstick’? What’s the difference? - TV dramas - MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2008 MSNBC.com

^^thanks for the info

The latest episode wasn't bad, but so far I'm yet to be impressed. The brunette mum's story bores me to tears, and none of the other main characters have exactly grabbed my attention yet.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information