Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood to star in NBC's live broadcast of The Sound of Music

Back in the day I went to Salzburg, Austria and did The Sound of Music Tour. It was awesome. I was in a minivan with my friend and probably 3 other girls (all in their early 20's) along with a male driver in his 50's. We drove to all the sites and sang the songs along with way. Best money ever spent!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen The Sound of Music many, many times on stage...both professionally and locally, and I do not recall the songs being out of order like that. That's what irritated me. Don't put "My Favorite Things" anywhere but when the kids are scared of the thunder and do NOT do "Do Re Mi" anywhere but when the kids are wearing their clothes Maria made out of the draperies! Plus, "The Lonely Goatherd" is such a great scene but I can see why that would be very difficult to do on stage, as opposed to film.

It was super cool though, to see a LIVE performance on network television!
    The tv production follows the original live stage production. I do agree the movie was able to put the music into the story in a more cohesive way (or it's just that I love the movie so much that I prefer it over the live staging) - I also wonder if local productions take liberties and stage it more to the movie version?

I prefer the Grease movie over the stage production. And West Side Story? In the live production "Somewhere" is a dream sequence - the movie made it so much more intimate and meaningful. I think both productions of Chicago are fantastic - I love them equally.

On a sappy note - I teared up when Carrie sang "the hills are alive..." and when Audra (MY GOD WHAT A TALENT) sang "climb every mountain" - I wept.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Audra's Climb Every Mountain was possibly the best I have ever seen that song performed. She is incredible. It just made me sadder to see Carrie trying to act opposite her with those dead eyes. This thing had such potential...the rest of the cast was so good!
    JazzyGirl likes this.

I love the old movie but I'm going to say it anyway - I hated Julie Andrews as Maria. She was neither cute nor sexy and would be very unlikely to snare a man like Von Trapp unless he was blind.
    southernbelle likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I love the old movie but I'm going to say it anyway - I hated Julie Andrews as Maria. She was neither cute nor sexy and would be very unlikely to snare a man like Von Trapp unless he was blind.
    I always thought she was awkward looking and remember as a child not thinking she was pretty. I think it was the haircut. I also don't think she had any chemistry with the kids or Captain von Trapp. That was one area where Carrie definitely beat her; the chemistry with the kids, especially. But I think Julie's voice was much better suited to the role of Maria. Carrie's acting wasn't great, but what bothered me the most was that she just didn't seem to have the range for some of the songs, even when several of them were noticeably in a much lower key.
    Last edited by southernbelle; December 7th, 2013 at 07:23 PM.

^The haircut was definitely part of it. They were going for gamine but ended up with butch.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

The real thing. Not a Carrie Underwood lookalike.
    JazzyGirl and Bluebonnet like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Bit of a bruiser, maybe Julie wasn't so far off the mark.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Apparently Fraulein Maria was more like the movie's portrayal of Captain Von Trapp. When the movie or play was shown to the Von Trapp kids, they were upset at the portrayal of their father who they said was very kind and gentle, nothing like the guy in the show.
    Maria on the other hand was a bit of a tyrant, some by necessity. When they came to this country they were penniless and so the only way they could make money was through singing as the Von Trapp's (they dropped the Von and just became the Trapps, I guess it was too German for US audiences.) Captain VT sort of fell apart because he couldn't support the family, didn't have a profession anymore or a home, so Maria stepped in and they made money through touring as a family singing group.
    I read one story where the oldest daugther wanted to get married but Maria didn't want her to break up the singing group so she locked her in her room and she had to climb out the window to elope with her boyfriend, she was almost 30 years old!

One of the kids said, "Though she was a caring and loving person, Maria wasn't always as sweet as the fictional Maria. She tended to erupt in angry outbursts consisting of yelling, throwing things, and slamming doors. Her feelings would immediately be relieved and good humor restored, while other family members, particularly her husband, found it less easy to recover. In her 2003 interview, the younger Maria confirmed that her stepmother "had a terrible temper. . . . And from one moment to the next, you didn't know what hit her. We were not used to this. But we took it like a thunderstorm that would pass, because the next minute she could be very nice."

I think I prefer the movie version of the Von Trapp family, rather than the real life one!
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Here's the actual family, with all 10 kids.

The 7 children on whom the characters in the movie were based:

L-R Martina (Gretl), Johanna (Marta), Hedwig (Brigitta), Werner (Kurt), Maria (Louisa), Agathe (Liesl), and Rupert (Friedrich).
    Neptunia and Bluebonnet like this.

Megan Hilty would've been great in that role, too.

Megan Hilty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southernbelle, I'm glad you posted those pics of the real family. Here is Julie Andrews with the real Maria Von Trapp:

JazzyGirl and southernbelle like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Was this show with Carrie worth watching? I never watched the original SOM,.....musicals just get on my nerves, badly. I think I have made it through maybe 5-6 musicals my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Was this show with Carrie worth watching? I never watched the original SOM,.....musicals just get on my nerves, badly. I think I have made it through maybe 5-6 musicals my entire life.
    If you don't enjoy musicals, then probably not. I did enjoy it, but I love musicals, and I also really liked the idea of broadcasting this live. I'd love to see it done with other shows in the future. I live in an area with very little theater, so I don't really get the chance to see plays unless I go to another town. So, it was nice to watch this because it had some of the excitement of a show, but in my own living room. The fact that it was live made it exciting, and the actors playing the kids were fantastic.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

^^ and the segues were great too!
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

This is starting again right now on NBC for anyone who didn't catch it the first time.
    southernbelle likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information