Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood to star in NBC's live broadcast of The Sound of Music

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

fgg

i saw it for about 5 seconds and it was terrible. carrie can't act worth a damn.

OT - did anyone see the willis family on the today show? they were picked as the sound of music family and they put on a good show. guaranteed they get a record deal out of winning that contest.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I hate, hate, hate musicals and Jimmy wanted to watch can you fucking believe it. Hell no, we watched football and hockey and he dvr'd it for his sister.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

ORIGINAL 'SOUND OF MUSIC' ACTRESS

LIVE SPECIAL WAS 'PAINFUL TO WATCH'

Gretl Von Trapp from the original "The Sound of Music" movie was left "mystified and disappointed" after last night's live remake on NBC ... and says Carrie Underwood TOTALLY BOMBED!!

Gretl a.k.a. Kym Karath met up with former co-stars Charmian Carr (Liesl Von Trapp) and Angela Cartwright (Brigitta Von Trapp) to watch the special last night ... but their excitement deflated once "Sound" started.

During the special Kym tweeted, "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

That's when Karath kicked things up a notch by roasting Underwood's performance adding, "Love Carrie Underwood but this role is just not right for her. She is lovely her voice is beautiful but acting is wrong."

For what it's worth ... the special brought in HUGE ratings for NBC with 18.5 million viewers.

Brookie likes this.
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I like Carrie Underwood and watched this with NO preconceptions at all. I knew it would be based on the theatrical staging and not a remake of the movie. Of course I LOVE Julie Andrews and the movie - the scenery the perfection..but it was a movie.

I thought this live performance was very good! Carrie is not a good actress, but she did justice to the songs. I glad I watched and hope networks do more of this in the future.

Emoting has never been Carrie Underwood's strong point, she doesn't seem to know the right time to express the right emotions (I'll never forget her grinning her way through Martina McBride's Independence Day on American Idol). So, I'm not expecting much on the acting front, and was upset when she was first cast. I'm definitely watching it, the rest of the cast includes some personal favorite actors (Audra McDonald, for example).

I love Carrie as a country/pop singer, but to do a stage production, takes, like NoDayButToday said, "emoting". Kristen Chenowith would've been better in this role, but she might be too old to play a 19-20 year old governess.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen The Sound of Music many, many times on stage...both professionally and locally, and I do not recall the songs being out of order like that. That's what irritated me. Don't put "My Favorite Things" anywhere but when the kids are scared of the thunder and do NOT do "Do Re Mi" anywhere but when the kids are wearing their clothes Maria made out of the draperies! Plus, "The Lonely Goatherd" is such a great scene but I can see why that would be very difficult to do on stage, as opposed to film.

It was super cool though, to see a LIVE performance on network television!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

One of the real Von Trapp family members said he felt the role should have gone to Anne Hathaway...
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    One of the real Von Trapp family members said he felt the role should have gone to Anne Hathaway...
    Ehh... I don't see her as Maria. She's not charismatic enough. I think it should have been someone who has experience on stage, though. Laura Osnes (Broadway's Cinderella) would have been perfect, but she's not really a big name.

I think Anne Hathaway could have done the acting part but you really need to be able to sing for this role and I don't think Hathaway is that great of a singer.

I wonder if Sutton Foster is name enough for a part like this, especially if you could get a famous actor to play Capt. Von Trapp, granted she was married to Christian Borle (who played Max) so maybe that would have been awkward but she was in Bunheads so maybe people would know her from that if not her spectacular stage career.

I guess at 37 Kelli O'Hara would be to old but she's wonderful and even looks the part. I saw her South Pacific and she has all the energy and talent for the part.

I was pleased to see the show did well in the ratings, I'd hate to think that Carrie's dead-eyed Maria would stop other productions like this from being shown on TV. I like it a lot better than reality shows and endless procedural dramas.
    southernbelle likes this.

I personally think they should have picked Laura Bell Bundy. She still looks pretty young for her age (she's in her early 30's), she is pretty well known as a theater actress from when she did Legally Blonde, but has had a bunch of tv and movie credits in addition to her stage roles-and SHE PLAYED MARIA IN THE TOURING CAST. Plus I love her voice and she's beautiful.

I thought of Laura Bell Bundy, too. She would have been great.

@NickoMoralesXXX

^^ That reminds me of Grumpy Cat!

Laura Bell Bundy would be great, she has the coloring, acting and singing talent. I loved her in Hairspray, LOVED HER! She was good in Legally Blonde (even if the musical wasn't that good.) I even like her annoying character on Hair of Dixie.

I know her coloring is off but Lea Michelle would have been fantastic too, she's a "name" has endless singing and acting experience from way before Glee and has such a beautiful voice. I guess they could have stuck a wig on her or just have her be a brunette Maria, no one cares that Audra wan't exactly Austrian looking for Mother Superior because she was so amazing, so I think Lea as Maria would have been really good. I guess she's stuck in a contract with Glee and maybe she's not up to it as she's still grieving. I hope she'll go back to Broadway again someday.
    southernbelle likes this.

I'm watching it now, and really it isn't AWFUL, except for Carrie Underwood. Literally anyone would have been better in this. Her acting is atrocious. The definite standouts have been Audra McDonald, Laura Benanti, and Christian Borle, which really goes to show that they should have picked someone with some theater background for Maria.

Stephen Moyer is better than expected, and he has a nice voice too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information