Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain

SVZ

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

yeah, i hear they get fat and ugly in the end

I heard one of them starts wearing acid wash jeans.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

are you sure it's not a horror?

Well they also ended up with shews for wives, have ugly sideburns and don't get to have rough gay sex again.

Pretty scary.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Grimmlok, I think the story is both very sad and an excellent love story. There are both parts to the movie in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by haggard
    How can I not have preconceived notions or expectations when all I've heard since this movie came out was how great and groundbreaking it is?? Every movie that I've ever seen that had as much hype as this one has had has always been disappointing, because its never as great as people make it out to be. So why waste $10 on a movie ticket to a movie that isnt ever going to be as great as everyone makes it out to be, and that I didnt really have any desire to see in the first place?
    I don't understand. Are you saying you'd rather gamble with your 10 bucks? Or are you just hard-to-please?? Because I don't get why you have such a problem with the "hype" surrounding this movie, why you're so reluctant to believe the hype (so to speak). It's obvious you simply had no desire to see this movie to begin with, which leads me to think that "hype" is just an excuse for you. I avoided Seinfeld for years, and it turns out I was missing out on a good thing. So, yeah, there's a difference between "hype" and "critical acclaim," as I have learned. Brokeback Mountain has received nothing but critical acclaim, which has increased ticket sales. Since it's a good film, people talk about it. And talk about it. And talk about it. And they praise it. Is that "hype"? I guess so. But I'd call the movie well-received as opposed to hyped-up.

hype1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hp) Slang
    n.
    1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.
    2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: “It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job” (Saturday Review).
    3. An advertising or promotional ploy: “Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as ‘Restaurant City, U.S.A.’” (New York).
    4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: “ [He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies” (Joel Oppenheimer).
    So I don't understand why you mention hype, haggard. Because it's obvious that no amount of publicity or critical acclaim was going to make you want to see a story that doesn't really interest you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    I heard one of them starts wearing acid wash jeans.
    Hahahahaha...Actually I LOVED them way back when..I hope they make a comeback! ..and I just remembered that when I was in Toronto in the 80's the exchange rate was really good and I think the thing I bought the most of there was...acid wash jeans! lol. they were EVERYWHERE then..Toronto was awash in them!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    .. so your point is that the movie didn't live up to the hype, because you didn't want to see it to begin with?

..... riiiiiight.
    I didnt say that the movie didnt live up to the hype, I said it probably wont...I still havent seen it, and I dont plan on it because I dont really want to and it probably wont live up to the hype. So my point is I wont be spending $10 for a movie ticket to go see a movie that wont be as good as everyone is making it out to be, and isnt something I wanted to see anyway.

I dont understand what was so confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    I don't understand. Are you saying you'd rather gamble with your 10 bucks? Or are you just hard-to-please?? Because I don't get why you have such a problem with the "hype" surrounding this movie, why you're so reluctant to believe the hype (so to speak). It's obvious you simply had no desire to see this movie to begin with, which leads me to think that "hype" is just an excuse for you. I avoided Seinfeld for years, and it turns out I was missing out on a good thing. So, yeah, there's a difference between "hype" and "critical acclaim," as I have learned. Brokeback Mountain has received nothing but critical acclaim, which has increased ticket sales. Since it's a good film, people talk about it. And talk about it. And talk about it. And they praise it. Is that "hype"? I guess so. But I'd call the movie well-received as opposed to hyped-up.

hype1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hp) Slang
    n.
    1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.
    2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: “It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job” (Saturday Review).
    3. An advertising or promotional ploy: “Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as ‘Restaurant City, U.S.A.’” (New York).
    4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: “ [He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies” (Joel Oppenheimer).
    So I don't understand why you mention hype, haggard. Because it's obvious that no amount of publicity or critical acclaim was going to make you want to see a story that doesn't really interest you.
    By hype I mean people talking about this movie like its THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE. You hear something like that over and over and over and you start to say to yourself, well maybe it might be the best movie ever! Everyone on the planet cant be wrong! So you go and see it and its never as great as everyone makes it sound. There's people out there who HATED brokeback mountain I'm sure, but dont want to say it because somehow not wanting to see this movie, or going and not liking it makes that person a homophobe or somehow close minded or something.

So when I originally heard about this movie way back when, I thought, "This doesnt really sound like something I'd be interested in" so I didnt plan on seeing it...and now that its out and people have been like "OMGZ BROKEBACK BEST MOVIE EVER!!" and some kid asking the president if he's seen it is somehow "news" just gives me even more of a reason to not want to see it.

Hmm seems str8 Academy members are refusing to screen Brokeback...

Given that it's Oscar time, I nominate the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for Best Bunch of Hypocrites. That’s because this year’s dirty little secret is the anecdotal evidence pouring in to me about hetero members being unwilling to screen Brokeback Mountain. For a community that takes pride in progressive values, it’s shameful that Hollywood’s homophobia may be on a par with Pat Robertson’s.

Despite the hype you’re reading in the press and on the Internet about Brokeback, with its eight nominations, being the supposed favorite to take home the Best Picture Oscar on March 5, Crash could end up winning. The issue isn’t which film is better. The issue is more like which movie was seen by the Academy. Frankly, I find horrifying each whispered admission to me from Academy members who usually pose as social liberals that they’re disgusted by even the possibility of glimpsing simulated gay sex. Earth to the easily offended: This movie has been criticized for being too sexually tame. Hey, Academy, what are you worried about: that you’ll turn gay or, worse, get a stiffie by just the hint of hunk-on-hunk action?

That Brokeback isn’t the Oscar favorite may have been foreshadowed at the SAG awards, when Crash topped it for best picture and Philip Seymour Hoffman won over Heath Ledger. Remember: Truman Capote was so unthreatening — as compared to the in-your-face sexiness of Ledger looking longingly at Jake Gyllenhaal’s loins — that Johnny Carson used to invite him into the nation’s living rooms as a frequent guest on The Tonight Show.

It’s not that Crash isn’t Oscar-worthy and Brokeback is. Both are good, if flawed, movies. Crash makes up in aesthetic bleakness what it lacks in subtlety — Los Angeles is a city of minorities divided but colliding, duh! — but it’s also gripping and powerful. Brokeback gives us something we haven’t seen before — closet-case sheepherders tastefully presented so they redefine the notion of love. But it’s also slow and ponderous.

Look, I do understand the degree to which the cowboy has been an iconic figure in motion pictures through the ages. Also, that many geriatric Academy members not only worked on oaters, but also worshipped Audie Murphy, Gene Autry, John Wayne and other saddle-sore celluloid heroes. And that only an equally iconic figure like Clint Eastwood could redefine the genre in Unforgiven in a way that didn’t turn off the old-timers. But, jeez, I’m not just talking about the geezers. I’m talking baby boomers and younger Academy members who are sketched out about seeing Brokeback.

Sure, even without seeing the movie, they could feel guilt-tripped or succumb to a herd mentality to vote for the gay-cowboy movie and strike a blow against Republican wedge politics and religious hatemongering. But, if they don’t, then Brokeback may lose for all the Right’s reasons.

What did you think?

I haven't seen Brokeback yet, but I can go ahead and tell you: Crash is a better movie. The BEST movie! It deserves to win.

Crash was good, if a little heavyhanded and obvious. The performances saved it from being too blunt.

^^ Yup! Matt Dillon was awesome!

from contactmusic:
    Contradicting predictions by commentators that Brokeback Mountain would not attract ticket buyers in red-state strongholds like Montana, the film has actually performed strongly in many of those areas, distributor Focus Features has maintained. (Fox News commentator John Gibson remarked: "I think most people do not want to go into a darkened room with a tub of popcorn and munch away watching two guys get it on." His colleague Bill O'Reilly has opined that the film has received critical praise because the media "want to mainstream homosexual conduct." And he predicted, "They're not going to go see the gay cowboys in Montana.")

However, the online magazine Salon today (Thursday) quoted the manager of the Wilma Theater in Missoula as saying that the film grossed $33,006 in its first four weekends there -- "one of our best starts for a movie we've ever had." In the conservative town of Kalispell, the film opened last Friday with $3,656. In the town of Whitefish, it took in $2,312 and beat out the three top national draws, including the No. 1 film, Big Momma's House 2. Salon indicated that the film is also a hit in Great Falls, Bozeman, and Helena, where it also opened at No. 1.

Meanwhile, L.A. Weekly entertainment columnist Nikki Finke has observed that Brokeback Mountain could be passed over at the Oscar ceremonies. "That's because this year's dirty little secret is the anecdotal evidence pouring in to me about hetero members being unwilling to screen Brokeback Mountain. For a community that takes pride in progressive values, it's shameful that Hollywood's homophobia may be on a par with Pat Robertson's," Finke wrote.

Silver Member

I never saw Brokeback Mountain but I am sick of hearing about it now I will never see it. I saw Walk the LIne and Crash and they were both wonderful movies. Brokeback Mountain I bet is overrated it is only getting good reviews because Jake and Heath played gay guys, just like when Charlize palyed an ugly chick in monster. Hollywood and their aganda pushing.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information