Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

I liked jakes (jack) character as well. He was the more animated and vocal one . . . he made the most effort to keep things going. He was the one who pushed for the relationship, and the frustration he suffered was palpable. I know heath is getting more praise than he is, but jake is def no slouch. This movie will really take him to a higher tier in hwood. I certainly didnt think heath would come back this strong, after movies like "a knights tale" and crap like that. But he is a big force now. His performace was moving, precisely because of what his character (ennis) DIDN'T say. He was inarticulate, non-communicative, and just a fortress of fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child
    I have no interest in seeing this movie.
    Ditto.

Especially now that its gotten all the press that has. There's no way that ANY movie can live up to the hype that this movie has gotten.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and was truly bored and pretty pissed. I was expecting to be entertained. Not enough dialogue for me. It was too long to sit through. BORING! I was mad because it got such high praises and didn't deliver!!!

People who say there isn't enough dialogue generally have no patience for meditative films in the first place, and tend to see the silent parts as empty space whereas others are cognisant of the importance of what is NOT being said.

Each has equal weight.

Secondly, you base your movie watching on how much hype something has? Go in with no expectations and just watch the story and see if you enjoy the artistry of it.

I don't go into a modern art exhibit expecting to fall on my knees and bawl over a piece of abstract art, I go just to experience what I see.

Some people, i tells ya...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I've never understood hype scaring people away. My boyfriend does that... if a movie gets too much attention, he refuses to see it! Just because people get excited about a movie doens't mean that there's something wrong with it... to me, it says "maybe there's something to this". Lots of good movies got too much hype... Donnie Darko, The Royal Tenenbaums, Memento, Lost in Translation, Amelie, Crouching Tiger, etc etc. And he loves all those movies, so I don't know why he won't shake that attitude.

And I STILL haven't gotten to see this movie.

Sorry Grimmlock. I didn't try to intentionally hurt your feelings by posting my opinion. I'm not deaf. I coulldn't help hearing the remarks regarding this film before I saw it. It just didn't float my boat!! Different opinions are what makes the world go round. This defintely wasn't a meditative story.

I wasn't keen on the treatment of the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman
    I saw it a couple of weeks ago and was truly bored and pretty pissed. I was expecting to be entertained. Not enough dialogue for me. It was too long to sit through. BORING! I was mad because it got such high praises and didn't deliver!!!
    Not to be mean, but I think it's likely you just didn't understand the movie. Anyway, I love your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720
    I liked jakes (jack) character as well. He was the more animated and vocal one . . . he made the most effort to keep things going. He was the one who pushed for the relationship, and the frustration he suffered was palpable. I know heath is getting more praise than he is, but jake is def no slouch. This movie will really take him to a higher tier in hwood. I certainly didnt think heath would come back this strong, after movies like "a knights tale" and crap like that. But he is a big force now. His performace was moving, precisely because of what his character (ennis) DIDN'T say. He was inarticulate, non-communicative, and just a fortress of fears.
    They were both great, in their own way. Jack's character was very open and outgoing, so he was easy to warm up to. Ennis was more quiet and reserved, but his feelings ran just as deep as Jack's. I'm such a sucker for a good love story. I really wanted these guys to get them a ranch with a little picket fence and 2.4 kids and all that jazz!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    People who say there isn't enough dialogue generally have no patience for meditative films in the first place, and tend to see the silent parts as empty space whereas others are cognisant of the importance of what is NOT being said.

Each has equal weight.

Secondly, you base your movie watching on how much hype something has? Go in with no expectations and just watch the story and see if you enjoy the artistry of it.

I don't go into a modern art exhibit expecting to fall on my knees and bawl over a piece of abstract art, I go just to experience what I see.

Some people, i tells ya...
    How can I not have preconceived notions or expectations when all I've heard since this movie came out was how great and groundbreaking it is?? Every movie that I've ever seen that had as much hype as this one has had has always been disappointing, because its never as great as people make it out to be. So why waste $10 on a movie ticket to a movie that isnt ever going to be as great as everyone makes it out to be, and that I didnt really have any desire to see in the first place?

If you feel that way, don't go see it. Or wait til it comes to the dollar theater or comes out on DVD. You're right. Movies are expensive, and that's why I don't go see them very often.

.. why would you waste 10 dollars on a movie you didn't want to see anyway?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thats exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by ediebrooks

I really wanted these guys to get them a ranch with a little picket fence and 2.4 kids and all that jazz!
    me too!!!

.. so your point is that the movie didn't live up to the hype, because you didn't want to see it to begin with?

..... riiiiiight.

"Not to be mean, but I think it's likely you just didn't understand the movie. Anyway, I love your avatar."

Mean? No that isn't mean, but I simply didn't like the movie. It wasn't a wonderful love story in my opinion. If it wasn't for the uniqueness of the story I would have walked out and gone on with my day.

Thank you, I love my avatar too!

Urm, it's not supposed to be a wonderful love story.. it's supposed to be quite sad.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information