Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

I'm honestly surprised that movie theatres have a say in what movies they want to show. I would think that having a critically acclaimed movie like Brokeback Mountain would bring attention as well as an audience. BUt then again most theatres are run by ignorant homophobic assholes that would rather show crap like "Chepaer by the Dozen 2" and "Bloodrayne" than a one of the most talked about love stories.*sigh*

That said I hope to see this movie this week.

Gold Member

Additional Comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    Because you're gay. And you like it.

I saw it yesterday. Managed to drag my boyfriend along. The cinema was completely full. It was a lovely film, beautiful scenery. It was quite subtle, as in not hugely dramatic. But it was touching.
    I could barely understand what Heath was saying, at times. But both Jake and Heath put in great performances. I didn't cry, but kind of welled up.
    I would recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority
    I'm honestly surprised that movie theatres have a say in what movies they want to show. I would think that having a critically acclaimed movie like Brokeback Mountain would bring attention as well as an audience. BUt then again most theatres are run by ignorant homophobic assholes that would rather show crap like "Chepaer by the Dozen 2" and "Bloodrayne" than a one of the most talked about love stories.*sigh*

That said I hope to see this movie this week.
    I doubt that the reasoning behind not carrying Brokeback Mountain is because "most theatres are run by ignorant homophobic assholes" Basically, its about what they think will make them the most money. Sadly, for some reason, people want to see crap like "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" and "Bloodrayne" You can blame idiot america for buying in to the whole "blockbuster" movie schpeal and liking whatever a big movie theater throws at them...

Quote Originally Posted by ediebrooks
    I am in the same boat you are in. I live in super-Christian SC. Retail stores don't even open until 1:30 on Sundays so everybody can be sure to do the right thing and attend church with their families Sunday morning. Jeez!

There is going to be an article in the local paper tomorrow regarding why "Brokeback Mountain" is not showing here, and I await it with interest. As I said in a previous post, looks like I may either have to cross state lines to see this flick or wait til the DVD comes out.
    Ok, I feel a little better now about my town and my state. I found out that "Brokeback Mountain" is actually already showing in other nearby towns, and the only reason it has not come to my town yet is that its because it is on some sort of "platform" release schedule, which means it is being gradually released across the country. "Brokeback Mountain" is coming to my town this weekend, and hopefully I will see it then.

Bronze Member

weren't there screencaps of the love scenes in this thread? or was it another thread about gay cowboys???? any help guys?

i loved it, i think it's one of the best love stories i've ever seen. it's subtle and touching and so well acted all around, but heath ledger is amazing. i was NOT expecting him to be that good. and i cried like a baby. and i never cry, and i hate love stories that are all schmaltzy and cheesy but this is the complete opposite. it's the total opposite of something like the notebook, which made me want to puke.

Just saw it tonight with my boyfriend. We loved it. Awesome movie.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by haggard
    I doubt that the reasoning behind not carrying Brokeback Mountain is because "most theatres are run by ignorant homophobic assholes" Basically, its about what they think will make them the most money. Sadly, for some reason, people want to see crap like "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" and "Bloodrayne" You can blame idiot america for buying in to the whole "blockbuster" movie schpeal and liking whatever a big movie theater throws at them...
    oh haggard, "idiot america"? You are so much better than the rest of the world. Movie theater owner, "should I play Cheaper by the dozen 2 and possibly get entire families paying over $40 per family of four for movie and popcorn and drinks? Or should I run a gay western with potentially NO RETURN ON MY INVESTMENT??? I think I'll choose to be able to pay my employees this week AND buy food for my family!"
    Also Haggard, I see you renting crap at the video store when no one is looking. Pompous isn't pretty on you.

Also Haggard, I see you renting crap at the video store when no one is looking. Pompous isn't pretty on you.
    Does Haggard have a stalker who loves Cheaper By the Dozen 2?

Quote Originally Posted by hello
    oh haggard, "idiot america"? You are so much better than the rest of the world. Movie theater owner, "should I play Cheaper by the dozen 2 and possibly get entire families paying over $40 per family of four for movie and popcorn and drinks? Or should I run a gay western with potentially NO RETURN ON MY INVESTMENT??? I think I'll choose to be able to pay my employees this week AND buy food for my family!"
    so, cheaper by the dozen makes more money... it's still a crap movie and its popularity says a lot about people's taste and expectations (or lack thereof)... i don't think that's pompous, just true.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik
    so, cheaper by the dozen makes more money... it's still a crap movie and its popularity says a lot about people's taste and expectations (or lack thereof)... i don't think that's pompous, just true.
    I guess I'm not a very good gossiper. You have to have a superior attitude about yourself to really be good at it. The more I read here, the more I get it. How about this: "Elizabethtown was CRAP!" ...still not biting enough I bet. I'll work on it .

cheaper by the dozen 2 must be really good if you're this keen on defending it... maybe i should stop being such a snob and check it out ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hello
    Well, well, well. If you're offended by Haggard's description of a particular populace, then you must reside right smack dab in the middle of Idiot Central.

Additional Comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik
    cheaper by the dozen 2 must be really good if you're this keen on defending it... maybe i should stop being such a snob and check it out ;-)

SVZ

Cheaper By the Dozen 1 was pretty good....only because of tom welling and his shirtless scenes though

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information