Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    If a man's afraid (yes, afraid) to go see a gay movie, then he's probably gay himself.
    LOL Larry David's afraid.

Cowboys Are My Weakness
    By LARRY DAVID

SOMEBODY had to write this, and it might as well be me. I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain," nor do I have any intention of seeing it. In fact, cowboys would have to lasso me, drag me into the theater and tie me to the seat, and even then I would make every effort to close my eyes and cover my ears.

And I love gay people. Hey, I've got gay acquaintances. Good acquaintances, who know they can call me anytime if they had my phone number. I'm for gay marriage, gay divorce, gay this and gay that. I just don't want to watch two straight men, alone on the prairie, fall in love and kiss and hug and hold hands and whatnot. That's all.

Is that so terrible? Does that mean I'm homophobic? And if I am, well, then that's too bad. Because you can call me any name you want, but I'm still not going to that movie.

To my surprise, I have some straight friends who've not only seen the movie but liked it. "One of the best love stories ever," one gushed. Another went on, "Oh, my God, you completely forget that it's two men. You in particular will love it."

"Why me?"

"You just will, trust me."

But I don't trust him. If two cowboys, male icons who are 100 percent all-man, can succumb, what chance to do I have, half- to a quarter of a man, depending on whom I'm with at the time? I'm a very susceptible person, easily influenced, a natural-born follower with no sales-resistance. When I walk into a store, clerks wrestle one another trying to get to me first. My wife won't let me watch infomercials because of all the junk I've ordered that's now piled up in the garage. My medicine cabinet is filled with vitamins and bald cures.

So who's to say I won't become enamored with the whole gay business? Let's face it, there is some appeal there. I know I've always gotten along great with men. I never once paced in my room rehearsing what to say before asking a guy if he wanted to go to the movies. And I generally don't pay for men, which of course is their most appealing attribute.

And gay guys always seem like they're having a great time. At the Christmas party I went to, they were the only ones who sang. Boy that looked like fun. I would love to sing, but this weighty, self-conscious heterosexuality I'm saddled with won't permit it.

I just know if I saw that movie, the voice inside my head that delights in torturing me would have a field day. "You like those cowboys, don't you? They're kind of cute. Go ahead, admit it, they're cute. You can't fool me, gay man. Go ahead, stop fighting it. You're gay! You're gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Larry David appears in the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

I love Larry David!

Saw it and LOVED it. When my coworker saw it she said the whole audience was groups of women and a few gay couples. The crowd when I saw it was pretty full and mostly older couples. The buzz as people were leaving was how good it was, no comments about how they were surprised by the content. It was so good, Heath Ledger deserves an award.

I have now seen one of the trailers before the movie twice in the last week and I can't wait for it to come out. The movie is called "Thank You for Smoking", and the plot outline from IMDB is: "Satirical comedy follows the machinations of Big Tobacco's chief spokesman, Nick Naylor, who spins on behalf of cigarettes while trying to remain a role model for his twelve-year-old son." It looks HILARIOUS, and has a good cast. It apparently won a few awards at the Toronto film festival. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; January 8th, 2006 at 01:21 AM.

SVZ

yeah, but us torontonians will give out rewards like hot cakes if you give us money

haha, possibly. The trailer was still funny though. There's a link to it on the IMDB page.

I wonder what will happen to their careers after this movie - should be interesting.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I just wish i lived in an area where theatre owners weren't a bunch of Homophobes and would show the movie!! Its not showing anywhere here (northern wis).

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland
    my parents went and saw it together; my dad loves westerns and my mom cried her eyes out (like i knew she would) and you shouldn't have said anything SweetRebel! you should've let that old people go to the movie and be totally shocked
    ...that they might actually be taken in emotionally by gays!
    Oh know, Alice! FIL would have walked out at the first hint of gayness!

Olivia, my husband refuses to see it. He just thinks it is morally wrong for someone of the same sex to be together. Of course, when women are mentioned, he says that is wrong, too, but could see that before two men being together...I don't care if that is what he believes. I on the other hand don't care-I don't think we pick who we love-if two people are happy together and love and respect one another, I don't care what their sexual orientation is...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720
    I just wish i lived in an area where theatre owners weren't a bunch of Homophobes and would show the movie!! Its not showing anywhere here (northern wis).

Omg, that sucks! I can't wait to see it...I heard on the radio this morning that Utah is not allowing it to be shown anywhere. I really didn't know theater owners could do that!

I'm sure my husband will be a little uncomfortable, but he'll wanna see it. He isn't homophobic (his brother is gay), but seeing men in action makes him a little ill.

My sweetie and I were sort of planning to see it in the theatre, and he was cool with it and all, but I reckon we'll probably wait just for the sake of saving money. Movies are one thing that it's hard to justify spending a lot of money on, since the home experience is generally more enjoyable anyway. I like supporting good indie/regional flicks, though, or ones that are "important" to me in some way, so we do usually end up at the theatre a couple of times a year. I'd like to apply that philosophy to Brokeback, show the distributors that yes, people will pay to see a gay relationship onscreen, but it doesn't sound as though it's hurting for fans!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I havn't read through the whole thread so forgive me if I repeat anything that has already been said.

I havn't seen this film and I don't really fancy it. I saw it advertised on a billboard and I said, what that? And my bf said its a story about two gat cowboys that fall in love. If it is then what an ironic title Break - back!! The writers were having fun that day weren't they!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Cool Re: Brokeback Mountain

why wont so many husbands see it? Do guys think they'll turn gay if they watch a gay movie? or that it just makes them sissies? It irritates me when men wont be associated with anything gay. Reminds me of high school.
    I'm a straight guy. I watched this movie with a group of guy-friends and girl-friends and we all loved it. Those men who don't wanna see it are, no doubt, just plain SISSIES and HOMOPHOBES. I do agree that lots of men are against/worried about it but I seriously don't see their point in why? It's all about their stupid mentality.

Honestly speaking, the movie wasn't that bad. Yes, it contained 1 sex scene and many kissing scenes but it really wasn't that bad (and it didn't bother me). Yes, I do admit I was a little unconfortable at first at the thought of seeing something I'm not really used to seeing but I actually wanted to see it because firstly, Jake Gyllenhaal is one of my favourite actors and secondly, why not? Would it kill to watch something new in your life?

I have a friend whos bisexual and I have nothing against that person and to all the other homosexuals out there. Maybe because I'm cool with it or I'm smarter than those who are "afraid".
    The heart dies a slow death. Shedding every hope like leaves until one day, there are none.

oh, i wanna see this movie so bad (esp before the oscars) but in germany it will open one week AFTER the oscars. so that makes it march! argh! why the hell?!?! germany is the last country it will open in. i was hoping i could get my hands on it before that when it's released on dvd but chances are very very slim that will happen before march!

I am in the same boat you are in. I live in super-Christian SC. Retail stores don't even open until 1:30 on Sundays so everybody can be sure to do the right thing and attend church with their families Sunday morning. Jeez!

There is going to be an article in the local paper tomorrow regarding why "Brokeback Mountain" is not showing here, and I await it with interest. As I said in a previous post, looks like I may either have to cross state lines to see this flick or wait til the DVD comes out.

^ That actually made me think of an interesting point. I wonder if movie theaters near the state lines of areas not showing the movie have a signficantly higher number of people going to see it than normal (the people going to see it in parts of the country where many theaters are showing it).

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara
    I havn't read through the whole thread so forgive me if I repeat anything that has already been said.

I havn't seen this film and I don't really fancy it. I saw it advertised on a billboard and I said, what that? And my bf said its a story about two gat cowboys that fall in love. If it is then what an ironic title Break - back!! The writers were having fun that day weren't they!
    it's actually more ironic when you say bareback, since that means anal sex without a condom

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information