Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Breaking Bad

A*O

Based on the first "one year later" scenes we know Walter is still around but we get no clues about what happened to the other characters. and who is the ricin capsule destined for? Lydia's days are obviously numbered and Jesse is now a dumb stoner liability so he has to go too IMO.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I think in the end Walt is going to take himself out, possibly with the ricin they've been trying to use since the first season. I hope the kids make it out alive, I hope Marie will make it out alive, and I still hope somehow Jesse will make it out alive.

I think someone in the White household/extended family doesn't make it out alive. I'm thinking Skyler might not make it. Possibly Hank.

yeah, I have Skyler pretty high on my death list. I go back and forth on Hank, I can see that one going either way. If Hank dies it would not surprise me if Walt is the one responsible.

I still love Walt. I see it as I assume he sees it: It's survival and jail avoidance. He got himself in this mess and now the only way out without turning himself into jail, is to become this monster. He knows he's majorly flawed and he's ok with that. I like that he went from powerless to powerful even if it doomed him to be just as bad as all the druglords he fought to get away from. I mean, what a metamorphosis of character. And at least the geeky smart guy is "winning," always a plus for me and makes for great tv. I hope he gets away.

Elite Member

Walt is the main reason to watch BB, but I can barely stomach him - which means Brian Cranston is doing an excellent job. Of all the Bad Men who have populated TV over the last 15 years, he's the worst. Even Vic Mackey had foibles and genuine affections that offered some relief.

I don't get the general Skylar hate at all. She's the only character who has some power over Walt and she's used it well. Sure, the subplot with Ted proved she's clueless in many ways. Skylar is just trying to hold it together, this illusion of family. She's the only one whose criticism of Walt is always exactly right and he has to eat it.

I'm thinking that Skylar and the kids abandon Walt, witness protection or something. Or maybe Junior dies or becomes an addict. Jessie is doomed and has been since day one. I just wish Jessie would wake up and and realize all the tragedies in his life that had Mr. White all over them.
    Last edited by olivia; August 13th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

fgg

Breaking Bad Season Opener Dedicated to Teen Superfan Who Died of Cancer

Ailing California teen Kevin Cordasco shushed anyone who dared to speak whenever he watched his beloved Breaking Bad from his hospital bed.

And on Sunday night, his family is convinced, he was watching the long-awaited final season's opener in his own way, from somewhere, and acknowledged the nod to their astute young superfan.

The critically acclaimed AMC series dedicated Sunday's episode to Cordasco, who, at age 16, died in March after a seven-year battle with neuroblastoma, a form of cancer.

Before his death, the Calabasas, Calif., teen had befriended star Bryan Cranston, show creator Vince Gilligan and others affiliated with the show, who knew they needed to do something to memorialize the preternaturally wise teen, whose insights even contributed to a new plot-line this season.

"It was just heartwarming," Kevin's mom, Melodie Cordasco, told the Los Angeles Daily News about the episode dedication on Sunday. "I know my son was sitting there, watching it [saying], 'Mom, Look, I made it!' It was overwhelming – the feeling, the love and support."

Kevin's introduction to the Breaking Bad family happened last September, when series star Bryan Cranston and his wife visited the teen in the hospital for three hours after learning about his condition via emails originating from the teen's godmother, who has connections to the entertainment industry.

Kevin "loved Bryan because he was real," Melodie Cordasco told the News. "He's loving and kind. He was just a great guy to Kevin. Every time Kevin would email him, Bryan Cranston within half an hour would respond back to Kevin."

The meeting was a dream come true for Kevin, who felt a connection to Walter White, Cranston's character on the show.

"Bryan Cranston is diagnosed with what could have been a terminal illness, a cancer in the first episode," said Kevin's father, also named Kevin Cordasco. "He then began to live his life. I think that Kevin connected with that character, moving forward and never looking back, never asking why ... [Kevin] didn't let his cancer stop him from doing anything."

Kevin clearly also made an impact on Cranston, who persuaded show creator Vince Gilligan to visit Kevin in October. Later, Cranston returned with costars Bob Odenkirk and Anna Gunn. The teen also spent about five hours with the writers.

One chat Kevin had with Gilligan went on to influence a plot twist on the show, confirmed executive producer Melissa Bernstein, who refused to divulge what it was, for fear of a spoiler.

And while the show also invited Kevin to join them in New Mexico for filming in February, he was too sick to travel. The writers then offered him a chance to read the script for the show finale, provided he signed a confidentiality agreement. Only Kevin declined, in part because he worried he might blab.

Still, the opportunity to get close to the people on the show "meant the world to him; they have no idea how they impacted my son," Melodie Cordasco said. "He talked about it all the time," and on her son's bucket list, she said, "was to meet Breaking Bad."

'Breaking Bad' Season Opener Dedicated to Teen Superfan Who Died of Cancer : People.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Finally, Jesse speaks.

Looks like things are really heating up...
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

soooo good. that confession was an effing haymaker.

A*O

Can anyone explain the last 5 mins of that mess please? I thought Jesse already knew about Brock? The dialogue was so muffled I didn't catch most of it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Noooo Jesse never knew...he suspected Walt but Walt managed to convince him that Gus was responsible and that Gus needed to die.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Can anyone explain the last 5 mins of that mess please? I thought Jesse already knew about Brock? The dialogue was so muffled I didn't catch most of it.
    Yeah, this please. How did he all of a sudden make the connection?

To say it's convoluted is an understatement, but here ya go:

Breaking Bad: How Walter White Poisoned Brock and What Happened to the Ricin Cigarette

UPDATE AUGUST 26: After last night’s episode, there are a lot of questions about Jesse’s desert revelation and how it all fits together, so I updated this post to include that toward the end, to keep it chronological. You can skip to that part here.

I’ve noticed that a lot of people come across my blog from googling something like, “How did Walter White poison Brock?” or “What happened to the ricin cigarette?” or “what happened berries Walter Brock” or something similar. On the Breaking Bad message boards, questions about these topics still rage. While watching the latest episode on Sunday night, some friends were asking the the same questions. This storyline definitely has to be one of the most complex–maybe even convoluted–plotlines on the show. Some of it is more left to assumption than explicitly shown. So I thought I’d try to elucidate with my understanding of what happened, start to finish.

In episode 407 “Problem Dog,” Walt makes some ricin in the superlab. He gives it to Jesse, who puts it in a “lucky cigarette” that he keeps upside down in his cigarette pack. The ricin cigarette is born.
    Walt, his revolver and lily of the valley

In episode 412 “End Times,” Walt is despondent and doesn’t know what to do. Gus has just threatened his wife, son, infant daughter and brother-in-law. Walt knows that Gus could be close to turning Jesse against him and that Jesse’s flagging loyalty is the only thing keeping Gus from killing him. Since Skyler gave a big chunk of Walt’s drug money to the IRS for the Ted thing, Walt doesn’t have the money to get himself and his family out of town through Saul’s disappeaerer “vacuum guy.” He sits out back behind his house and spins a revolver. The first two times, it points at him. The third time though, it points to a potted plant, which (we will later come to see) is a lily of the valley plant. Here is where Walter White gets his idea.

A few things to keep in mind from previous scenes and eps: First, Walt saw Brock and Andrea at Jesse’s apartment. He knows to some extent who they are and that Jesse cares about them. Second, Jesse has been carrying around a vial of ricin inside a cigarette for awhile now to (maybe) use on Gus. Lastly, Gus has used children before. His meth empire used kids like Andrea’s little brother Tomas, and when Jesse gets upset about this, Gus’s people kill Tomas (episode 312 “Half-Measure”). So Gus has hurt kids in Andrea’s family before.

So here’s (my assumption of) Walter’s plan. He has Saul deliver the lily of the valley berries to Brock in some way. This is never shown exactly but probably Walt did something with the berries like made them up into some candy (chemistry skills) or something and had Saul deliver it to the boy. This wouldn’t have been too weird because earlier in Season 4, before Jesse and Andrea got back together, Saul used to deliver money from Jesse to Andrea and had seen and talked to Brock in the past.

UPDATE: At the 2013 Comic-Con Vince Gilligan explained exactly how he and the writers imagined Walt got the poison to Brock, and it wasn’t, as I had thought, through Saul. Instead they pictured Walt as the “Evil Juice Box Man” going into Brock’s school and giving him a juice box that had juice from the poison berries. And if you’ll look closely at episode 413 “Face Off” (thanks to Greg below for pointing this out), when Walt busts into Saul’s office, Francesca is shredding school schedules. It’s a big spreadsheet of classes and times but there are notes on the side that seem to be one student’s personal schedule, most likely Brock’s. So, kudos to the writers on including that little detail, and again to Greg for noticing that what’s was being shredded. End of update.
    Huell switches it up

Then, Walt has Saul, through his bodyguard Huell, remove Jesse’s ricin cigarette by switching out the packs. He removes Jesse’s pack with the cigarette containing the ricin vial and puts in a pack without it. This happens when Huell gives Jesse a pat down after Saul calls him to the office. Recall that Jesse got many, many urgent messages from Saul demanding that he come in to the office–this was done to get him there so Huell could do the cigarette pack switcharoo–then Saul kinda blows off Huell, as if he knows nothing about it (Saul’s good like that) and tells Jesse that these are “the end times, kid.” Walt has to make sure Jesse’s ricin cigarette is removed so he can convince Jesse that Gus or Tyrus stole the ricin cig to poison Brock.

So then, Jesse gets the call that Brock is in the hospital. He hears Brock has flu-like symptoms that aren’t getting better, which is exactly what Walt told Jesse back in the Tuco days is what would happen to someone with ricin poisoning. Jesse figures out EXACTLY what happened–that Walt poisoned Brock and then had Huell remove the ricin cigarette from him. This is exactly what he accuses Walt of when he threatens to kill Walt. In fact, if you’re still having questions about this whole deal, watch this scene where Jesse almost kills Walt because he gets it exactly right (except that Walt didn’t actually use ricin).
    Jesse accuses Walt

But then Walt turns it around and convinces Jesse that Gus has done it. Gus has used children before, he argues, and he swears that he himself would never do such a thing to a child. He convinces Jesse that Gus knew about the ricin cigarette because Gus had cameras on them all the time. Jesse, who on some level loves Walt and thinks of him as a father figure, decides to believe Walt rather than shoot him, and helps Walt to kill Gus.

Afterward, Jesse finds out that Brock wasn’t poisoned with ricin after all, but lily of the valley. He thinks it’s all a coincidence and Walt assures him they still did the right thing in killing Gus. All seems well as Walt relaxes out back behind his house, in a much different state of mind then he was in before. In the last frames of Season 4, the camera focuses in on the same plant that Walt’s revolver pointed at in the earlier scene, and its tag, which says “Lily of the Valley.” This is supposed to let us as the audience know that yes, Walt poisoned Brock.

So why did Walt go to the trouble of doing it with lily of the valley instead of just using ricin? Well, as evil as Walt has become, he doesn’t actually want to murder a kid. The implication is that if he had actually used ricin, it would have killed Brock but with lily of the valley, it was “touch and go” but Brock pulled through. Also, I think that Walt, true to character, isn’t even thinking far enough ahead to think of what a weird coincidence it could look like. All he’s thinking about is survival, about getting Jesse to think Gus poisoned Brock with ricin so Jesse will get back on his side. That’s it.

In season 5, some loose ends still need to be cleaned up. The first is that Walt throws out his lily of the valley plant, destroying the evidence. Then, in his meeting with Saul, Saul hands the ricin cigarette that Huell lifted from Jesse back to Walt. Saul also says that he had no idea that Brock would end up in the hospital. Saul didn’t really know what he was actually doing.
    Walt makes the decoy

Then in episode 502 “Madrigal,” we have more loose ends to tie up. One is that Jesse still doesn’t know what happened to his ricin cigarette. He doesn’t have it, he doesn’t know Walt has it and he no longer believes Gus had it, so in his mind it’s MIA. Walt tries to convince Jesse that he must’ve lost it in the superlab before they torched it but Jesse doesn’t think so. Jesse’s making himself crazy worrying that some innocent person will come across it wherever he lost it and get sick and die because of it. Walt says he’ll come over and help Jesse toss the house and find it. So Walt makes up a dummy ricin cigarette, using salt instead of ricin. He hides the real vial of ricin behind an electrical socket in his bedroom. He then plants the fake cig in Jesse’s Roomba as they are tearing the place apart. We don’t see him do this, but when he offers to help Jesse find it while making a fake one, we assume he’s going to plant it somewhere.
    Jesse finds the decoy

Then Walt pretends not to know what a Roomba is (“What the hell is that thing?”) and convinces Jesse to look inside it. Jesse does and lo and behold there is his “ricin” cigarette. Jesse now believes he made a huge, huge mistake, originally thinking Walt was behind it. He almost killed Walt, and now thinks that Walt, or should I say “Mr. White” was completely innocent. Jesse feels awful and can’t figure out what’s wrong with himself that he would make such a huge “mistake.”

It is genius on Walt’s part. He has gotten Jesse back to his side. He has Jesse doubting his own instincts about what’s going on, feeling like he is instead stupid. Then Walt comes in as the comforting father figure and talks to him about moving forward, so he gets Jesse on board with cooking meth again.

And then in 503 “Hazard Pay,” Walt completes this long con of Jesse by manipulating him into ending things with Andrea, and hence Brock. And then showing absolutely zero interest or concern. Walt has become one sick, twisted dude.

UPDATE

This next section addresses how this plotline about the Brock poisoning and the ricin cigarette plays into episode 511 “Confessions.” DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER if you haven’t yet seen the episode as this will be a big spoiler. You’ve been warned.
    In episode 511 “Confessions” Jesse goes to Saul’s office to hire the same “disappearer” that Walt once planned to use. Jesse starts smoking pot in Saul’s office (not the first time, that was nicely set up two episodes back). Saul freaks out and says the disappearer won’t take him if he’s high. So Huell does what he does–he switches out Jesse’s pot and puts in a pack of cigarettes. If you watch closely, you can see this switcharoo too.

Then Jesse, waiting for the disappearer, looks for the pot in his pocket. It’s not there. He starts freaking out, finds the cigarette pack. He realizes that Huell switched the pot for the pack, and this triggers Jesse to realize that Huell had switched the packs before, that he’d been right all along (remember, this was his original suspicion). So he goes and beats and threatens at gunpoint the truth out of Saul.

The confusion for a lot of people is that Jesse yells about ricin when he screams at Saul but Brock was poisoned with Lily of the Valley. He screams about the ricin cig because that’s Saul’s part in the plan. Saul and Huell lifted his ricin cigarette (so that Walt could convince Jesse that Gus via Tyrus had stolen it at the lab). He realizes then that he must’ve been played by Walt, that Walt must’ve been the one to poison Brock with Lily of the Valley.

Jesse has been getting smarter for seasons now. And he’s been suspicious of Walt ever since late in the first half of Season Five, and especially since Walt had the guys in prison killed, which told him all he needed to know about what happened to Mike. He’s been terrified of Walt. And there was a lot of talk about Walt playing and working Jesse leading up to this moment in the episode. So, I think Jesse’s in a different place in that he’s readier to see this truth about Walt. It must be under the surface, a seed of suspicion.

In that moment in the desert, waiting for his new life in Alaska, when he finds the cigarette pack in his pocket, I think the whole convoluted plot becomes crystal clear to Jesse in all its detail.

Oh shit.

Breaking Bad: How Walter White Poisoned Brock and What Happened to the Ricin Cigarette | Emilia Jordan
    70sRock likes this.

fgg

short version:

jesse went to grab his pot and realized that it was gone and put 2 & 2 together when he pulled out his cigarette pack that walt must have had saul/the bodyguard pull shenanigans resulting in walt poisoning brock.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Thank you, Trixie, I was so out of the loop. I had forgotten most of that while I watched Jessie's freakout. It looks like I'm glad the article was written for people like me. D'oh!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information