Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bill Clinton documentary "I screwed up with this girl"

Elite Member

Well, even if he had feelings for her you wouldn't expect him to say that in his autobiography, given that Hillary and Chelsea are both around to read it. I mean, realistically, his autobiography was the usual attempt to define himself and his legacy instead of letting someone else do it for him. I imagine for him the story of that time wasn't how he did or didn't feel about her, but the mistakes he made (especially the lying), and how it could have cost him his presidency. It's not like he was going to profess undying love for her in his autobiography.

I don't blame her if she felt bitter--it was basically her against an entire apparatus. They painted her as a stalker and as a slut who put the moves on him, regardless of what a known man-whore he was. And she was so young. She probably could have done a better job putting it behind her, but I'm guessing she wasn't the most emotionally healthy, self-confident person to begin with.

Wasn't he impeached for lying under oath? That was the crux of the issue legally anyway. Yeah the media focused on the sexier stuff. He should have listened to his advisor and come clean, avoided the perjury, etc. I was a supporter but I had a tough time with a president lying in a court of law. Especially one I liked so much.

Elite Member

If he had just admitted the affair it all would have blown over (no pun intended) quickly enough. His decision to lie rather than just fess up was stupid and selfish and put the country through months of hell. Not to mention his family, and all the people who cared about him and supported him. It's precisely because I liked him so much as a president that I was disappointed and angry.

I thought that too BBDSP. Then I realized the Republicans would have never let it go, no matter what. It was a really hostile time between the parties.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

he lied about something he should never have been asked in the first place, much less in court.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sluce- interesting point regarding Monica Lewinsky, apparently she was trying to raise funds to pay off her legal bills, that were "large". I had a little time on my hands last night & did some reading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42172-20...

Former White House intern Monica S. Lewinsky is not entitled to be reimbursed for $1.1 million she spent in legal fees related to an independent counsel investigation of President Bill Clinton and his affair with her, a federal appellate panel ruled today.

The three-judge panel, led by Justice David B. Sentelle of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, found that Lewinsky failed to meet the standard for reimbursement of her legal bills by U.S. taxpayers in such cases. The judges said Lewinsky could -- and likely would -- have been investigated by the Justice Department for perjury if independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr had not been looking into the matter.

Sentelle, a Reagan appointee, was also part of the three-judge panel that appointed Starr.

The primary standard for winning fee reimbursement under the independent counsel statute that was in effect at the time of the investigation is that an individual would not have had to hire a lawyer but for the independent counsel's investigation.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'm still mystified and fascinated by how extramarital affairs can ruin a politician's life in the US. and i want to watch this documentary.
    I know! Berlusconi had bunga bunga parties and nobody would have bat an eyelid if he did screw the Italian economy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    I know! Berlusconi had bunga bunga parties and nobody would have bat an eyelid if he did screw the Italian economy as well.
    Hope we never get this cynical in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Sluce- interesting point regarding Monica Lewinsky, apparently she was trying to raise funds to pay off her legal bills, that were "large". I had a little time on my hands last night & did some reading.
    Damn! So she got stuck with the legal bills because they forced her to testify because she had consensual sex. Clinton probably had to pay his too but probably had a fundraiser and got donations to cover it. He also had millions in the bank already unlike a 21 year old girl.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    I thought that he'd already screwed the Italian economy, along with its media? *confused*

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Damn! So she got stuck with the legal bills because they forced her to testify because she had consensual sex. Clinton probably had to pay his too but probably had a fundraiser and got donations to cover it. He also had millions in the bank already unlike a 21 year old girl.
    Yes. I was disgusted when I read all that.
    Free Charmed.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I wonder how much help she got with those legal bills? I would hope that Clinton supporters helped her out somehow, or even Clinton himself. What a shitty way to start one's adulthood. I mean, she made her own choices but most of us get to make our youthful mistakes a lot more quietly and with fewer monetary and emotional consequences.

I still hate Linda Tripp with a passion. She was the original bitter jellus fatty, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by politesse View Post
    Hope we never get this cynical in North America.
    sorry but you already are, about everything except sex (that's when the deep-rooted puritanism comes out).
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    sorry but you already are, about everything except sex (that's when the deep-throated puritanism comes out).
    Fixed
    Free Charmed.

Novice nailed it!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information