Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Big Little Lies on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    ^ I am in awe of Kidman and Dern. I read an article (sorry don't recall who wrote it) and I paraphrase: most actors are open and transparent in their acting. Kidman puts up a mask, and reveals glimpses of what's behind it.

Perfect description.
    That description nails it. I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    It looks like a second season is becoming more and more likely. The author wants to write a book sequel and everyone seems to be into it besides the director. And there would be Perry flashbacks. I haven't fallen in love with characters from books or film like this in a really long time.
    I would be open to a sequel if the author writes one. How's this, I would definitely watch a second season no matter what, but I'm OK if we're left with the TV story as it stands. I guess was a little nervous about doing a second season willy nilly without the author's input.

Sorry for the double post, the board has been acting screwy for me for a while.

I think the whole cast deserves Emmys but if I had to choose two, I would choose Nicole and Alexander. Nicole is just Nicole ... she's awesome in almost everything (I'm glad she got away from Tiny Tom because she has just flourished acting wise since, almost as if he was holding her back). She's fabulous just creating emotion from her face and body language, without even speaking a word. Alexander is a great actor and couldn't have been more perfect in this role. Together, their scenes were just so well acted. I think they both dug really deep, especially during the violent scenes. If it were up to me though, I'd give them all Emmys.
    I'd give them all Emmys, too, and it pains me because prior to this I could not STAND the sight of Shailene Woodley. I'm sure she still irritates me IRL, but she was great in this. I also loved how Laura Dern played her character - she was so worried about her daughter that she could barely function, and even though she was supposed to be the tough, aggressive female in the story, she was just as vulnerable as all of them.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    ^ I am in awe of Kidman and Dern. I read an article (sorry don't recall who wrote it) and I paraphrase: most actors are open and transparent in their acting. Kidman puts up a mask, and reveals glimpses of what's behind it.

Perfect description.
    So true, and that's why Ive always like Laura Dern. She's the perfect actress for David Lynch-type movies, I couldnt imagine anyone playing some of those roles.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

I loved Laura Jean Poon in this. She was like a grown-up Tracy Flick who somehow ended up on the mommy track instead of the corner office track, and is generally ok with it but with glimpses that she wants something more. Thus the compulsion to maneuver everything around her, and the affair.

I don't see how there couldn't be a second season, with the detective eyeing the ladies on the beach at the end there. I almost felt like that was a dream sequence - that they couldn't possibly have overcome all their differences just because they pushed a dude down some stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I loved Laura Jean Poon in this. She was like a grown-up Tracy Flick who somehow ended up on the mommy track instead of the corner office track, and is generally ok with it but with glimpses that she wants something more. Thus the compulsion to maneuver everything around her, and the affair.

I don't see how there couldn't be a second season, with the detective eyeing the ladies on the beach at the end there. I almost felt like that was a dream sequence - that they couldn't possibly have overcome all their differences just because they pushed a dude down some stairs.
    Laura Jean Poon was probably the one who I most related to on the show, but I'm not like her in the least. I'm probably more like Jane, without the baggage. But I wish I had Madeline's closet and house, but not her choice in men. So I guess I should say I'm more drawn to Madeline. She would be a good friend to have around and even though she's sort of flighty and breezy, I think it's an act. She's very conflicted and flawed, but also very loyal to her friends.

In the book, I think Madeline had put her career on hold because of Abigail's birth and Nathan walking out on them. I think. I can't remember, but I think she always felt like she was supposed to be Tracy Flick with a corner office, and that's why she kind of, even on the show, seems to get extra defensive around Renata, and like you said, Madeline does want something more or something else.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I think I actually kind of am like Madeleine, minus the closet and house and kids. I was a total Tracy Flick in high school. And Nathan seems like the kind of guy I would have dated when I was young and Ed seems like the kind of guy I'd fall for now. And while I've always worked and I like where I am career-wise now, it's never worked out to be the corner office trajectory that I would have thought I would have been on considering my education and general intelligence level. I'm not as take-charge as she is, which I think makes it not all that frustrating to me because that's on me and I'm cool with my choices.

Sorry for the double post, the board has been acting screwy for me for a while.

I think the whole cast deserves Emmys but if I had to choose two, I would choose Nicole and Alexander. Nicole is just Nicole ... she's awesome in almost everything (I'm glad she got away from Tiny Tom because she has just flourished acting wise since, almost as if he was holding her back). She's fabulous just creating emotion from her face and body language, without even speaking a word. Alexander is a great actor and couldn't have been more perfect in this role. Together, their scenes were just so well acted. I think they both dug really deep, especially during the violent scenes. If it were up to me though, I'd give them all Emmys.
    The scene where Perry and Celeste first go to the counselor is so well acted. All you have to do is watch Nicole's slight reactions, her face, the way she sits. Her acting, without ever saying anything, was spot on. She was perfect and 100% believable.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    The scene where Perry and Celeste first go to the counselor is so well acted. All you have to do is watch Nicole's slight reactions, her face, the way she sits. Her acting, without ever saying anything, was spot on. She was perfect and 100% believable.
    I still remember that scene, the whole time I was just watching Nicole's manner and reactions. She just dominated that scene.
    Sometimes I forget what a great actress she is.

I think that's the problem with great actors. They make it look so damn easy! Like that damn Meryl Streep, You believe her in every roll she's in.

I am aware of..but do not really watch Kidman movies I think that is why she is blowing me away.

^^^ Another movie I really liked her in was Cold Mountain. Her character has done a complete 180 by the time the ending came around.
    Alysheba likes this.

I have to admit this series has given me a new appreciation for Nicole Kidman. Before this I think my favorite role of hers was in To Die For.

If they can come up with a Part 2, I would watch, but I hope they don't screw it up. This one was pretty close to perfection.

I'm gonna miss watching it tonight!
    Waterslide, Nevan and arie_skop like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I think I actually kind of am like Madeleine, minus the closet and house and kids. I was a total Tracy Flick in high school. And Nathan seems like the kind of guy I would have dated when I was young and Ed seems like the kind of guy I'd fall for now. And while I've always worked and I like where I am career-wise now, it's never worked out to be the corner office trajectory that I would have thought I would have been on considering my education and general intelligence level. I'm not as take-charge as she is, which I think makes it not all that frustrating to me because that's on me and I'm cool with my choices.
    Giving it some thought, maybe I am a little like Madeline, or at least I'm striving to be more like Madeline in some ways. I wasn't really a Tracy Flick in high school, but I have always been more Type A than B. I wasn't necessarily interested in being popular, but I did have tons of interests and friends, and I liked school. But I feel like the older I get, the less patience I have for putting up with BS. I would always pay too much attention to other people telling me what the fall out of calling people on their BS would be, and now I care a lot less about that, because when you do that nothing ever gets done or fixed. In other words, Madeline is definitely not passive, and I think that's what draws my attention to her.

As for her taste in men...I'm sure mine is way worse than hers. I don't have a problem with Ed, but Nathan and Joseph seem immature. I know Nathan was supposed to be the fiery one, and Ed the stable one, and normally I go for the fiery, bad boy types, but Nathan on the show seems like someone who is still the same mental age he was when he was with Madeline (hence why he married Bonnie, maybe?). You can't help but love Ed because he really does seem to understand Madeline more than she understands herself, and he's also incredibly and painfully self aware. I really didn't like Joseph, because he just seemed like a jerk all the way around as far as the TV show goes, and probably not good enough for Madeline to jeopardize her marriage over, but I think she knows that.

I like Nicole in most of the things I've seen her in, but Cold Mountain is one of my favorites.

I am already having withdrawal from it not being on tonight.
    Nevan likes this.

‘Big Little Lies’ Season 2? The Book’s Author Reveals Her Plans for What Happens Next

Liane Moriarty says she'd like to focus more on Bonnie and Celeste.

Michael Nordine
    Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm
    @slowbeard

Hilary Bronwyn Gayle/courtesy of HBO

Big Little Lies” is over, but is any show really truly over these days? Liane Moriarty, who wrote the novel HBO’s limited series is based on, tells the Sydney Morning Herald that “the producers have asked me to see if I can come up with some ideas. I wouldn’t write a new book but perhaps a new story and then we’ll see what happens.” Moreover, she shared some of those ideas with Sydney’s paper of record.
    READ MORE: ‘Big Little Lies’ to ’13 Reasons Why’: In Defense of the One-and-Done Limited Series
    “The obvious thing is, first of all, I think we could bring in more of Bonnie’s story from the book,” Moriarty says. “And also what happens next [for Celeste]. That’s the question that’s also a really interesting thing, when you’ve been through a relationship like that, how do you feel now? How would she feel? She’s grieving. She’s still grieving for the end of a terrible relationship and I think that would be a really interesting thing to explore. So there’s a whole lot of different story lines.”
    READ MORE: ‘Big Little Lies’ vs. the Book: How the Series’ Changes Strengthened the Mystery and the Bonds of Sisterhood

Nicole Kidman, who stars in the series alongside Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley and ZoŽ Kravitz, recently offered some thoughts of her own with Entertainment Weekly.
    “We don’t have any plans for a season 2,” said Kidman, “but the beauty of this is there are so many deep stories here that are ripe for mining. There are so many different ways to go with all of these women. This is such a small portion of their lives but I love that people have connected to them in such a deep way. And everyone in different ways to different women.”
    Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.

THIS ARTICLE IS RELATED TO: Television and tagged Big Little Lies, HBO, Liane Moriarty, Nicole Kidman

?Big Little Lies? Season 2? The Book?s Author Reveals Her Plans | IndieWire
    Nevan and Trixie like this.

Still not sure how I feel about continuing the story, I would hate to see them milk it just because they had such a good viewer response, but who knows. As long as they could keep it interesting, I would have no problem watching these characters develop a little more. The only issue is, the entire premise was the big murder mystery and now that it's over, where do they go with the story without turning it into Desperate Housewives, cable edition?
    Waterslide and arie_skop like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Still not sure how I feel about continuing the story, I would hate to see them milk it just because they had such a good viewer response, but who knows. As long as they could keep it interesting, I would have no problem watching these characters develop a little more. The only issue is, the entire premise was the big murder mystery and now that it's over, where do they go with the story without turning it into Desperate Housewives, cable edition?
    That's exactly how I feel. While I would love to get lost in that world for a little while longer, the mystery is over, and I wouldn't want them to ruin the story by dragging it out. I definitely have mixed feelings about it.
    Last edited by Waterslide; April 15th, 2017 at 10:06 AM.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I was thinking the same, I don't want the show to end up being another Desperate Housewives. Plus, we now know about Bonnie's background - thanks to the book.

I was happy with the ending, I don't feel like we need Season 2.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information