Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Big Little Lies on HBO

So I take it Bonnie was previously in an abusive relationship? She really zoomed in on Celeste and Perry fighting at the party and then you saw her going off alone to follow them.

Right before Bonnie's scene with Perry, there were maybe 3 minutes left and I was all like "ok, so where's the big twist?" Then "ohhhh ok."
    arie_skop likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I'm starting to feel like it's all melding together, but I think in the book Bonnie's dad had abused her mom when she was a kid.

Eta which goes back to the theme of how witnessing spousal abuse affects children. Eerily similar to what's going on with Melissa George.
    arie_skop and Nevan like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

I haven't read the book, but during Bonnie's focus scenes, I understood what was happening. She recognized the body language of abuse. I assumed she had been abused by a previous spouse or boyfriend.

The click of the detective's Zippo lighter at the end was a nice touch.

Overall, I enjoyed the show, but they needed one more episode.

Well, Laura Jean Poon wants a whole additional season, apparently. I saw that at dlisted which I can't access on my work computer though I'm sure it's probably everywhere. I'm kind of on board with it being this limited series. I could watch the scenery on that show forever, but it's OK to let a story end the way it's supposed to.

However, I do agree, I felt like they needed one more episode, because a lot of plot was jam packed into a few minutes.

Michael K also wondered how Madeline and Ed could afford that house as a web designer and a part-time theater manager. In the book, Ed is a journalist and Madeline volunteers at the theater, but that still doesn't really explain how they can afford to live there. And that got me to thinking how their house, and Jane's tiny apartment/house, were the most homey looking places on the show. Celeste and Renata both live in amazing houses, but they're a lot more sterile than Madeline's. It's very subtle though. But then that got me to thinking that there was something kind of big that happens in the book that doesn't happen in the show, or maybe I zoned out and missed it, but Renata's husband ends up cheating with the nanny. OK, maybe that's not major, but Laura Dern made that character pop so much, you feel like she should have been more than a catalyst for bringing Perry into the light.
    Alysheba and Trixie like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Here's the dlisted post. I'm pretty much of the leave it alone opinion. Sure, I thought the big climactic ending was rushed, and I might still have some questions (like does Maddy and Ed's marriage survive since he obviously knows about her affair) they aren't exactly burning questions. I would hate for it to end up like The Affair, which I thought was a 10-episode show when I started with it, and now it's in, what, the 4th season, and I keep hate-watching even though I despise all the characters now. Besides, I thought Reese had optioned another of this author's books. Do a new story with new characters, using the same actors if possible. To me, that would be more interesting than BLL Chapter 2.

---------------------------------------------------

The Director Of “Big Little Lies” Doesn’t Want To Do A Second Season, But Laura Jeanne Poon Does

April 3, 2017 / Posted by: Michael K

61 Reactions

Big Little Lies‘ finale aired last night and that’s supposed to be that. Most of the questions were answered, and I say “most,” because they didn’t answer two of my most important questions: 1. Why didn’t anyone dress as Audrey Hepburn in Bloodline (her most glamorous look) to that Audrey/Elvis party? And 2. Is Ziggy’s auntie Eleven from Stranger Things, because those two are definitely related.

Big Little Lies was always meant to be a limited-run miniseries, but since it’s a critical and ratings hit, and Nicole Kidman will probably win every award imaginable, there’s been talk about HBO bringing it back for a second season. Jean-Marc Vallée, who directed all seven episodes, doesn’t think they should continue the story, but Reese Witherspoon (who will always be Laura Jeanne Poon to me) and Nicole Kidman do. Oh, I thought of a third question that wasn’t answered. Are Madeline and Ed secretly Monterey’s biggest drug kingpins, because how else can they afford that beach house on a part-time community theater manager and web designer’s salaries? If they do more episodes, they better answer that.

Jean-Marc Vallée said in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter that if it was up to him, there would be no second season:

To do a season two, I’m not for it. Let’s move on and do something else! If there’s an opportunity to reunite with Reese, Nicole and these characters of course, I’ll be a part of it, but Big Little Lies One is a one-time deal. Big Little Lies Two? Nah. The end is for the audience to talk about. Imagine what you want to imagine and that’s it. We won’t give you a season two because it’s so good like this. Why spoil it?
    Sources told TVLine that HBO has no plans to order more episodes.

Reese and Nicole were both executive producers on Big Little Lies. They’ve also optioned Truly Madly Guilty, which is the latest novel written by Liane Moriarty, who wrote the book that the Big Little Lies TV show was based on. Reese said in an Instagram live chat on Friday that they’ve been talking to Liane about ideas for season two and that the fans should spit our their ideas too.

“One of the main questions everyone keeps asking us is, is there going to be a season two. We’ve been talking with the writer, and you guys should Facebook Liane Moriarty and tell her how much you want to see Big Little Lies 2. That would be good. She’s thinking about ideas, and so we would love to hear ideas.”
    Nicole Kidman also said that there should be a second season.
    I’m with the people screaming NOOOOOO to the idea of a second season. More shows need to be like novelas. They need to end after a few months instead of going on and on for years. Big Little Lies was perfect, and HBO would probably fuck it upevitable.True Detective-style if they brought it back for a second season. But since this is Hollywood we’re talking about, I’m sure it’ll be announced next week that Freeform is doing a millennial Big Little Lies reboot starring the cast of Pretty Little Liars. It’s inevitable.

Dlisted | The Director Of ?Big Little Lies? Doesn?t Want To Do A Second Season, But Laura Jeanne Poon Does

--------------------------------------

Oh, and I have to say I really loved the music in this. Found the theme song on youtube, it's a different version but still good.

Waterslide, Nevan and arie_skop like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

1. Thank you for posting that!
    2. ITA about The Affair. I kept thinking that this was what The Affair was supposed to be, or at least what I thought it was going to be. I really like the idea of affairs "happening" to characters that are at least borderline likable or mildly sane.

But like you said, I have some questions, but they're not burning questions. If I had to guess, though, I'd say Madeline and Ed would stay together, probably after a lot of soul searching and therapy which I don't need to see. (Although, I did think the therapy scenes were great with Celeste's character - the therapist was so real that I almost wanted to tell her my own problems.)

I agree, the therapist was great. I actually wondered if her character had lost a former patient to DV or something. She really wanted to save Celeste.
    Alysheba likes this.

I think one more episode or a two hour finale would've been awesome. I'm not so sure about a whole second season. I could see definite possibilities for storylines beyond even the book. But, I don't know. Alexander was one of the big reasons I watched it, and I think Celeste and Perry's scenes were the heaviest and best acted. But Perry is dead.

I haven't downloaded the other book yet, but it's gotten really good reviews.

BOOK SPOILERS ......

One thing I wanted to explain to the non-bookers. Saxon Banks was Perry's cousin. In the book, Jane mentions that name and Celeste kind of knew instantly. Perry had told her early on in their relationship that when he got himself into trouble, he'd give out his cousin's name. They really kind of glossed over that.

Yes, Bonnie had PTSD from prior abuse. They tried to use a lot of nuance in the last episode, like when Bonnie sees Celeste being beaten, but they didn't really explain it well. When Perry gets pushed over the balcony (not stairs), Celeste gets up, looks at him and then very calculatingly, starts wailing like a grieving wife. The women were all in collusion together to protect Bonnie before anyone else arrived on scene. Ed's not okay with this, but Nathan is desperate for them to keep the secret. In the end, Bonnie turned herself in and only received 200 hours of community service.

Celeste moves to another house with her boys, goes back to law and opens up a trust fund in Ziggy's name.

In the book, Ed and Madeline live in a smaller house not on the ocean.

And for some reason, the kids were all in kindergarten, not first grade. I don't know why that was changed.

^ Interesting! Thanks for posting the background info. Even though I had most of it figured out, I don't think there's any way I could have guessed that about Bonnie. They really didn't flesh out her character much. I also read that Maddy's affair didn't happen in the book, not sure why they added that, maybe to give Maddy her own "big little lie" since Celeste and Jane both had big secrets.

I like that Celeste did something to help Ziggy financially.

Another thing about the show was the end with the detective watching the women on the beach. So you never really know if she was still investigating and wanted to charge someone. If the case was closed as an accidental death, why was she skulking around? So that was a bit of a loose end.
    Nevan and Waterslide like this.

Yes, I agree, lots of loose ends ... which makes me wonder if they didn't leave a lot unexplained for a reason. The book wrapped everything up by the end, the series left a question mark for a few things. I think I feel a little false sense of fulfillment because I did read the book and knew where almost all of it was going. And you're probably spot on about Madeline's affair ... everyone needed a lie and the way the series told it, the only one (which is a big one) Madeline had was her affair.

I loved the last scene. It was powerful to me. All these women, some of whom were at each other's throats during large parts of the series, come together to protect and love one another. It was such an awesome series and it's hard to say goodbye to these characters.
    Waterslide, fgg and panic like this.

Missed the show on Sunday night, but was able to catch up last night. That was such a fantastic episode. I can't get over the quality acting by these women. The character of Madeline is such a bitch, but you also can't help but love her, mistakes and all. She's very complicated, she loves her husband but isn't super happy in their marriage, she has a lot of anger/resentment over her ex, an incredibly loyal friend. Reese W. did an amazing job acting that role. The dynamic between Celeste and her therapist was perfect. It felt 100% real, not like acting at all. Nicole was so subtle in her scenes, in a powerful way. Laura Dern was excellent as the ambitious, career woman, but also very insecure in her role as a mom. I would be shocked if they all 3 weren't nominated for something next awards season.

That last scene was great. All those women banding together because they all witnessed such a horrific moment. I was surprised the show had Perry attacking everyone vs book where he just hits Celeste before Bonnie pushes him off the balcony. I don't think that Bonnie had the intention to kill him and I think the rest of the women knew that too, which is why they protected her.

^ I am in awe of Kidman and Dern. I read an article (sorry don't recall who wrote it) and I paraphrase: most actors are open and transparent in their acting. Kidman puts up a mask, and reveals glimpses of what's behind it.

Perfect description.

It looks like a second season is becoming more and more likely. The author wants to write a book sequel and everyone seems to be into it besides the director. And there would be Perry flashbacks. I haven't fallen in love with characters from books or film like this in a really long time.
    Waterslide and arie_skop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    ^ I am in awe of Kidman and Dern. I read an article (sorry don't recall who wrote it) and I paraphrase: most actors are open and transparent in their acting. Kidman puts up a mask, and reveals glimpses of what's behind it.

Perfect description.
    Sorry for the double post, the board has been acting screwy for me for a while.

I think the whole cast deserves Emmys but if I had to choose two, I would choose Nicole and Alexander. Nicole is just Nicole ... she's awesome in almost everything (I'm glad she got away from Tiny Tom because she has just flourished acting wise since, almost as if he was holding her back). She's fabulous just creating emotion from her face and body language, without even speaking a word. Alexander is a great actor and couldn't have been more perfect in this role. Together, their scenes were just so well acted. I think they both dug really deep, especially during the violent scenes. If it were up to me though, I'd give them all Emmys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    It looks like a second season is becoming more and more likely. The author wants to write a book sequel and everyone seems to be into it besides the director. And there would be Perry flashbacks. I haven't fallen in love with characters from books or film like this in a really long time.

Me too, it's been awhile since that I felt that way towards a TV show and its cast. Nicole was the clear standout, she was just perfect in that role. Hopefully she wins an Emmy for her work.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information