Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: in IMAX 3D

Take the kid to it. Movies SHOULD make you scared, excited, feel sad, happy, passionate and all the rest. There's no point shielding kids and feeding them inoffensive pablum... that just results in a boring, pussified kid.

Worse comes to worse, it'll make the little spud THINK.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I refuse to see it. The last time I sat through James Cameron's crappy Titanic, I swore I'd never see another movie of his.

Or you could scare the shit out of your kid and make them have nightmares for weeks and not want to go to the movies for years.

Honestly. Just because you might not want to take your 7 year old to a pg-13 movie does not make your child 'pussified'. Are you going to name your kid Falcon, Grimm
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

nightmare for weeks because of avatar? wtf is scary about it, even for a kid?

Fuck, Gremlins is PG and has scarier shit in it than fucking Avatar.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Not that I would let my (future :p) children see anythng, but I think children can bear far much than what we give them credit for. Everything targetting children nowadays is just so impersonised, sanitized, it just doesn't have any scenaristic interest anymore.
    I'm sure that as a child I saw things that would be considered "too hard for a child to watch today", and I'm fine ! (and to make things clear, this doen't involve any horror movie or really violent ones either, my parents wouldn't let me watch those :p)
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

WTF is scary about having characters you have learned to know and care for over the course of the movie killed in an exploding helicopter, with a machine gun bursts to the chest, with a wooden spike through the sternum? That final fight scene was pretty brutal for some adults. That was what bothered my friend's son, but hell... He is obviously a stupid little bitch for being scared of scary stuff.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    nightmare for weeks because of avatar? wtf is scary about it, even for a kid?

Fuck, Gremlins is PG and has scarier shit in it than fucking Avatar.

I agree. And Gremlins was made out to be a fun movie with cute little fluffy guys in it,...,.but it was down right scary in places.

Avatar wasn't scary at all. If your kid has watched any other movie with killing or fighting in it, he will be fine.

Not all kids are the same. I was scared shitless in Ghostbusters because of the ghost lady in the library. Had nightmares for weeks. And Gremlins is another, that movie freaked me the hell out. I didn't think Avatar might be scary to anyone but then again, I wanted almost all the characters to die by the end of it.

I think a 7 year old would enjoy the colours and everything that's happening but it might be a gamble to have him watch without the option of fast forward. My 7 year old neighbour has all the Lord of the Rings movies on DVD and will watch them as long as we fast forward all the Ring Wraith scenes and all other scary scenes he warns us about in advance.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My 7 year old grandson loved it, thumbs up, thought it was better than even Transformers (which all things are measured by him) His 4 year old sister said wake me up when the blue people do something exciting.

I didn't know there would be foul language in it but I've seen cartoons that were more violent.

Like yanna my daughter fast forwards through all the scary parts of Lord Of the Rings.. then he comes to me to explain the missing parts

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    WTF is scary about having characters you have learned to know and care for over the course of the movie killed in an exploding helicopter, with a machine gun bursts to the chest, with a wooden spike through the sternum? That final fight scene was pretty brutal for some adults. That was what bothered my friend's son, but hell... He is obviously a stupid little bitch for being scared of scary stuff.
    Haven't you learned by now? Kids who have a negative emotional reaction to anything are weak pansies. We must desensitize them by forcing them to watch more violence. It's the only way to make sure they grow up to be normal adults.

I guess it depends on the kid. I think my son would love all the weird animals and the colors and everything. I don't think he's quite old enough to really get emotionally involved with the characters IMO. I think he'd like it, it's just a matter of will he stay interested the whole 2 hrs and 41 mins of it.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Yes, he is.

It was somewhat intense, but it wasn't scary or traumatizing or anything else.

Unless you're a sensitive little snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Haven't you learned by now? Kids who have a negative emotional reaction to anything are weak pansies. We must desensitize them by forcing them to watch more violence. It's the only way to make sure they grow up to be normal adults.
    It's fine if they have negative emotional reactions. Trying to prevent them from having those reactions, or trying to shield them from it turns them into weak pansies.

Let your kids FEEL things. Let them get scared, excited, awed, bothered, and all the rest. I was scared out of my mind at seeing "The Terminator" at 7 years old, but that fright spurred a love of movies that continues to this day. I wanted to know WHY i was scared, how it scared me.. it terrified me and I wanted to learn all about it.

It's a bit egotistical to say that every kid is going to react the way you did. Kids are not little adults. We don't need to treat them like they are.

Kids are also not fragile little snowflakes who need to be shielded from PG movies on the off chance it might scare them, which, incredibly, seems something to be avoided at all costs these days.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information