Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: in IMAX 3D

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Video games too. I was totally bummed when I finished Zelda Ocarina of Time for the N64.
    Hah! OMG yes....such a fun game.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Hit By Ban Bus!

sigh - good movie but not better than Titanic

In a mere 41 days, Avatar overtook Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie ever at the worldwide box office at $1.859 billion ($555 million domestic plus $1.304 billion foreign), compared to Titanic's $1.843 billion.

First, the foreign record fell on Saturday, and, by Sunday, Avatar was just $4.4 million behind Titanic. It then added $19.8 million on Monday to push it over the top for the worldwide record. Titanic's $600.8 million domestic record is the next in line, and Avatar is poised to pass it within two weeks. What's more, Avatar is on track to cross the $2 billion mark worldwide by the end of the weekend.

While Titanic still holds the crown in 20 markets, Avatar is the top-grossing movie (in U.S. dollars) of all time in 24 markets: China, Russia, Australia, Spain, Hong Kong, Colombia, Czech Republic, Chile, Portugal, Singapore, Ukraine, Hungary, United Arab Emirates, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Dominican Republic, Latvia, Serbia, East and West Africa, Qatar, Jordan, Jamaica and Bahrain. Avatar's also on the verge of claiming the all time records in South Korea, Denmark, Austria and New Zealand. However, the countries that are likely out of its reach include India, Japan, Brazil, Argentina, Turkey, Belgium and Finland, and it has a long way to go in France and the United Kingdom.

Avatar's 3D presentations have accounted for 72 percent or $1.35 billion of its total gross. Breaking that down, 3D's domestic share is 80 percent, and its foreign share is 69 percent. That's far and away the biggest 3D gross ever, and Avatar's effectively most people's first sampling of the new-fangled 3D technology.
    "We are deeply gratified that so many millions of people around the globe have embraced Avatar," a Fox spokesperson said. "Its success results from the efforts of literally thousands of people, who, over the course of several years, worked to bring James Cameron's vision of Pandora to life. The themes of protecting the environment, respecting life, and yearning for a peaceful planet have united moviegoers worldwide. We're very proud of, and grateful to, James Cameron, his amazing and dedicated team, and all the many people at Fox, who worked so long and so hard to achieve this milestone."</I>
    It is important to note that these are gross records, not attendance records. Ticket prices rise over time, 3D tickets carry a significant premium over 2D, and exchange rates fluctuate: for instance, a weak dollar leads to more pronounced foreign grosses. Titanic was seen by more people, but to point that out does not diminish Avatar's accomplishment. It simply gives a more complete picture, particularly for the audience and those interested in cultural impact. The gross, though, is more important to the movie's producers.

This weekend, Avatar will continue its run in 122 countries worldwide on approximately 17,000 screens.

I wasn't prepared for the violence and all the killing and death. it sure wasnt a feel good movie for me. I liked the first hour and the last 10 mins. Overall the effects were mind blowing.

My daughter and I went and saw this in 3D yesterday. It was an okay movie, the plot sure wasn't anything new. The bad guys try to take what isn't theirs, and the good guys end up winning. But the special effects and all were pretty cool.

I did hate how the main Na'vi (?) chic had to scream and freak out all of the time. Other than that it was a beautiful movie to watch. Not sure how it will look on dvd if it is just in 2D. Some smaller theaters around here were just playing it in the 2D format.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Again, personally I LOVED it and have seen it three times now, but I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for everyone.
    I know of someone that has seen it four times! Once in Spanish in Columbia!

To me how popular a movie is isn't based on how much money it makes, it's about how many people viewed them. For instance it was probably $1.00 to see Gone With the Wind vs $17.00 to see Avatar.

I'm watching it on the internet right now. The video quality is crappy so I am left with characters and plot. Both of which are sorely lacking. I thought Sigourney Weaver was a decent actress but she comes off as completely wooden and unconvincing in this one. I guess I'll finish it but I feel like I've already seen it 10 times.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^^ ACCCK!

It must be viewed on IMAX/3D! The reason the characters were so compelling is because their bodies and faces were actually mapped with electrodes. So when they are climbing/jumping, someone actually is doing that. When they are grimacing, someone is actually doing that. The actors had small cameras attached to their necks to record all their facial movements. So all their real body movements and facial expresssions were used to create the Avatars and natives.

A botanist created the flora with actual scientific names.

An actual language was created for the natives with verbs, nouns, etc.

It took 4 years to make, 3,000 cast members and 10,000 computers!

the characters were not compelling. at all.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

4 years and they couldn't find someone to write a decent script? And I saw the process of creating the animated characters with motion capture and all that but I'd take Gollum anyday over all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    ^^ ACCCK!

It must be viewed on IMAX/3D! The reason the characters were so compelling is because their bodies and faces were actually mapped with electrodes. So when they are climbing/jumping, someone actually is doing that. When they are grimacing, someone is actually doing that. The actors had small cameras attached to their necks to record all their facial movements. So all their real body movements and facial expresssions were used to create the Avatars and natives.

A botanist created the flora with actual scientific names.

An actual language was created for the natives with verbs, nouns, etc.

It took 4 years to make, 3,000 cast members and 10,000 computers!
    omg

I didn't mean to upset you so!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

That's ok.
    I've fully recovered now...

Avatar Sex Obsession As it sits poised to become the biggest film ever, there's been a flutter over the cut "Avatar" sex scene. If you've seen the movie, you probably have a hunch about how it would go... Hot Na'vi Sex!

The Kick-Ass Women of Sci-Fi
    Amanda Seyfried's Kinky Sex Scenes
    Posted on January 25, 2010 in Get Your Freak On | Permalink

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D8IRIYBSnk&[/YOUTUBE]
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I saw it and thought it was really good. Sure, 99.9 percent of the plot we've seen sooo many times before in countless other movies. But what a visual feast for the eyes. I have been so bored with CGI movies lately, that this one was a welcome sight. And that Navi chick was pretty hot.

I just saw this, and absolutely loved it! I'm surprised at all the bad reviews I've been reading here.. I thought it was easily the best film I've seen in a while, but to each their own. It was very very long though. I want to take my seven year old to see it, but I'm not sure if he'll stay interested for that long.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

^^I would proceed with caution. That final battle scene was pretty rough on a friend of mine's nine year old...and he usually enjoys some 'darker' family entertainment.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information