Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: in IMAX 3D

pms has definitely put me in manifesto territory before.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My first manifesto... I'm so happy
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

*makes mental note of the phrase "bust a mind vomit"* Good one, I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    ...I hated it. I just want those hours of my life back. The story was one moronic cliche after another. The blue creatures were obnoxious and should all die with their stupid nature shit and their USB port ponytails. All of the animals looked beyond ridiculous and not at all like something that would develop in nature. The message of the story was nice but so unsubtle it made my head hurt. And I don't find Sam Worthington hot in the least.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post

It was more or less rubbish. Pretty looking, and mildly entertaining at times but rubbish nonetheless. The dialog was so crappy and cringeworthy that I laughed out to it in inappropriate places.

It would have been better if it was hour shorter and made to teen audience.
    This.

The movie needed the 3D/CGI effects to distract people from the paper thin recycled plot and clunky dialogue.

It was a complete rip off of Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves/Fern Gully, only set in space. The characters were all 2D (no depth to them whatsoever) stock characters we've all seen in other movies before. And it was too simplistic in it's portrayal of the good vs. "evil" sides.

I thought it was basically complete garbage & totally unworthy of the praise it's received.

Also, I was totally distracted by Sam Worthington's accent. It was uneven at best. He was obviously trying to affect an American accent, but he kept slipping back into his Australian accent (and I think I heard Irish in there at some point.) Cameron should have let him use his Australian accent, because his American accent is terrible.

i just think it's really a shame that you can spend 500 million dollars on a movie and make it so visually impressive, and then fail to put a little more effort into the story. maybe the effects and the pretty are enough for most people but i thought it was disappointing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I just saw it in 3D IMAX. I loved it!

It takes you to another world that is stunning and wonderful. The blue natives actually make the humans look inferior and unattractive by comparison.

I agree it's the best movie of 2009.

Hit By Ban Bus!

1TitanicPar.$1,842.9$600.832.6%$1,242.167.4%19972The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the KingNL$1,119.1$377.033.7%$742.166.3%20033AvatarFox$1,098.7$367.533.5%$731.266.5%20094Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead

finally knocked off Pirates of the Caribbean.. still can't believe I paid to see that piece of crap.

However I don't see it knocking off Titanic or even Lord Of the Rings return of the King.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I just saw it in 3D IMAX. I loved it!

It takes you to another world that is stunning and wonderful. The blue natives actually make the humans look inferior and unattractive by comparison.

I agree it's the best movie of 2009.
    It's such a visual feast. It's interesting the extreme reactions it gets. It seems as though people absolutely love it or absolutely hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i just think it's really a shame that you can spend 500 million dollars on a movie and make it so visually impressive, and then fail to put a little more effort into the story. maybe the effects and the pretty are enough for most people but i thought it was disappointing.
    I think this is simply Cameron's MO; he gravitates toward simple stories because while they may seem undeveloped and ham-fisted to some (valid criticism), they really appeal to the biggest amount of people. You could choose to see it as him appealing to the lowest common denominator. Or you could see it as him sticking to a few simple universal themes nearly everyone is sure to connect with on a fundamental, emotional level. It's not sophisticated but still elicits a powerful response in many people so I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. I understand how some will find it lacking but that's just his story-telling style.

I agree 100%, Beeyotch.

Not that I really needed to clear that up
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Lola nice manifesto! I have to say though, I may have enjoyed Avatar even more if Neytiri had sung Colours of the Wind is it sad that I want to go see this movie again? I don't think I've ever been to see something twice in the cinema.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    1TitanicPar.$1,842.9$600.832.6%$1,242.167.4%19972The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the KingNL$1,119.1$377.033.7%$742.166.3%20033AvatarFox$1,098.7$367.533.5%$731.266.5%20094Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead

finally knocked off Pirates of the Caribbean.. still can't believe I paid to see that piece of crap.

However I don't see it knocking off Titanic or even Lord Of the Rings return of the King.
    I think it will pass Return of the King next week. Imagine how much Cameron's ego will grow when he has the #1 and the #2 movie of all time. He's already insufferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Lola nice manifesto! I have to say though, I may have enjoyed Avatar even more if Neytiri had sung Colours of the Wind is it sad that I want to go see this movie again? I don't think I've ever been to see something twice in the cinema.
    James Cameron is quoted as saying a lot of Avatar's story came from Pocahontas

I saw it twice...indulge! Think of it like a big piece of goey chocolate cake from a store-bought mix. Sure there isn't fine bakery nuance, but its still so yummy!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    It's such a visual feast. It's interesting the extreme reactions it gets. It seems as though people absolutely love it or absolutely hate it.
    I think there are plenty of people who were meh about it. I saw it with a group of 5 other people and I was the only one who hated it with a passion. The others found it pretty to look at but mostly dumb. No one in our group loved it.

Though my bf and his brother were talking about the Avatar game and said that the only way they would play it would be if they could play one of the robo soldiers and could kill Na'vi. I'm thinking they didn't get the message.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information