Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Avatar: in IMAX 3D

Okay, well lets rundown what I said, then.

My statements were:

“I would proceed with caution. That final battle scene was pretty rough on a friend of mine's nine year old...and he usually enjoys some 'darker' family entertainment”

(I.e. this might frighten a child too much to be valuable entertainment; evaluate yourself, however, as you know your child better than I)

(In response to your statement)

"Or you could scare the shit out of your kid and make them have nightmares for weeks and not want to go to the movies for years."

(i.e. the fallout of not respecting past experience with your childs limitations may mean they get overwhelmingly frightened, which is not something you want from an entertaining experience)

(In response to 'nothing is scary about Avatar)

“WTF is scary about having characters you have learned to know and care for over the course of the movie killed in an exploding helicopter, with a machine gun bursts to the chest, with a wooden spike through the sternum? That final fight scene was pretty brutal for some adults. That was what bothered my friend's son, but hell... He is obviously a stupid little bitch for being scared of scary stuff”
    (i.e. You asked what was scary. I gave some elements that could be scary for some adults and children)
    And finally:
    "No one is keeping their kid in a bubble or staving off emotions. If you have a close personal relationship with your kid, you have and idea of what is going to make them think, concern them, maybe scare them a little, and you have an educated guess over what is going to scare the fuck out of them, personally.

When I was a kid, Gremlins didn't scare me at all. Darby O Gill and the Little People, however, scared me so much (No, not the leprechauns, the spectre of death coming for him) that I slept with my lights on for two years afterwards because I was afraid Death would come for me.

While we want our children to learn life lessons, we are NOT trying to scare the fuck out of them, and if you look at my original post, I merely advised the person asking about the movie for her 7 year old to tread with caution, as I knew a child it had scared. Did I say, OMG, DON'T GO! No.

But once you see your child have an extremely upsetting an negative response to a movie, you try to advise against them seeing future movies with that element until they are ready. As in, "I know you want to see X movie, but it is similar to Avatar. Do you still want to see it?"

The point is when your child asks to see a movie, you help them make a more informed decision about whether they REALLY want to see it. Because you are there parent and they trust you to help guide them for their decisions until they can fully make decisions for themselves."

(I don’t feel like I should have to clear up any of this to begin with, but I can’t see how this needs further explanation)

Tell me where, Grimm. Tell me where I said we should keep our kids from watching anything that might scare them. Show me where that was my point. Its all there.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Sorry, I'm too busy talking with my hedge. He's asking about the purple monkey in the sky and I said all we have is cherries.

kookoocatchoo.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Kookoocatchoo, indeed.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I agree with you Lola about knowing your kid. Some children are much more sensitive to scary movies than others. My daughter who is 12 is very much like me. We love anything scary. The only movie I haven't let her watch is The Exorcist because that scared the hell out of me. My son who is 11 is not as enthusiastic about thrillers or horror films. He knows his own mind. He saw the previews to Paranormal Activity and decided he did not want to watch it when I rented it. So we do try to respect his feelings. He rented something else. He did end up watching it though and thought it was "lame".

You have to be in-tuned to your child and help him make informed decisions. If a film is similar to one that scared him before, I'd definitely make sure he understood that, then let him make the choice.

Well, finally took my son to see this the other day, and he absolutely loved it! I knew he would love the 3D, and the animals, and the Pandora scenery... Like I thought before, the only problem was he started to squrim around after sitting there for a couple of hours. Then once the final battle scene started, he was attentive again.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

The thing is, I have known and read about parents that have no qualms about violence, blood, and gore, yet at even the slightest hint of nudity or sex, they'll shield their kids' eyes or have them look away.

Ya, no problems with your kids watching heads blown off, throats slit, appendages and guts and gore all over the place, but heaven forbid nudity or sex.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information