Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: in IMAX 3D

I heard you the first few times. There's a huge gap between only allowing your seven year old to watch Mickey Mouse and taking him/her to see the Terminator.

Avatar falls somewhere in the middle
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Going back to the movie, when that navi chick first appeared above the trees, I was like, whoah.

I knew it was going to be a 'love story,' thought it would be cheesy, but then as I watched it I was really caught up in their CGI characters. I would say it was one of the better 'love stories' I have seen.

Yeah, Grimm. You're way out of line here. No one is keeping their kid in a bubble or staving off emotions. If you have a close personal relationship with your kid, you have and idea of what is going to make them think, concern them, maybe scare them a little, and you have an educated guess over what is going to scare the fuck out of them, personally.

When I was a kid, Gremlins didn't scare me at all. Darby O Gill and the Little People, however, scared me so much (No, not the leprechauns, the spectre of death coming for him) that I slept with my lights on for two years afterwards because I was afraid Death would come for me.

While we want our children to learn life lessons, we are NOT trying to scare the fuck out of them, and if you look at my original post, I merely advised the person asking about the movie for her 7 year old to tread with caution, as I knew a child it had scared. Did I say, OMG, DON'T GO! No.

But once you see your child have an extremely upsetting an negative response to a movie, you try to advise against them seeing future movies with that element until they are ready. As in, "I know you want to see X movie, but it is similar to Avatar. Do you still want to see it?"

What you are saying makes no sense. "Oh, we'll just take Junior to ANY movie...say, Nurse Betty, where her husband gets scalped on camera in the first five minutes, or one of the Saw movies because he NEEDS to be a little scared."

The point is when your child asks to see a movie, you help them make a more informed decision about whether they REALLY want to see it. Because you are there parent and they trust you to help guide them for their decisions until they can fully make decisions for themselves.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I don't believe I'm out of line at all.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

he's entitled to his opinion. i don't see why he'd be out of line and not allowed to post his. i kind of agree that kids are way too coddled these days. i cried like mad when bambi's mother died, and i was sad about it for days. but it's also a life lesson and kids should know that people die and that's all a part of the cycle of life. a lot of kids' movies used to be smarter and more challenging than the retarded shit that passes for children's entertainment these days. and sometimes beloved characters died and yes that's sad but i don't think it's good to shelter kids from that.
    but i also agree that it all depends on each kid's personality. let's face it, some kids are wussies. it's just a fact. take my brother and sister (twins). the girl twin was a total badass and watched pet semetary with me when she was 5 (my parents didn't know we were watching btw) and we loved it. the boy twin was a total pussy and would close his eyes or leave the room and say he was going to play with his cars (code for 'this is scary i have to get the hell out of here) whenever a movie or show started to get scary.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i vote "precious snowflake syndrome"

I didn't say you shouldn't post...but I am saying that calling someone else's kid a pussy for being scared of scary shit is ridiculous.

Because you've chosen to pick one line out of my entire argument and criticize the semantics of my statement, I'll just assume you had no rebuttle for the rest of it.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I just disagree with the rest of it, as clearly indicated by previous posts. Repeating myself won't bring anything new.

and Avatar isn't scary. It's a bit intense for kids, but not scary.

...As judged by someone who spends how much time around kids...(?)
    Do it anyway

I don't need to be around kids to base this opinion off my own experience and the experience of all the children i grew up with who aren't total pusses.

If kids today find Avatar scary, then they're pusses. In my day, it would have rocked our collective socks. What kids watch today is so pussified it makes me want to throw up. It treats them like idiots. It talks down to them. It doesn't push them, teach them, or make them have to learn something to keep up. Fuck, even the original star wars series had scarier shit than Avatar, and language that half the kids didn't understand. We learned find out what it meant.

The wussification of children is a damn epidemic.

Also, my point, if you would have read it rather than latching onto the first line and glossing over the rest, is this:

"But once you see your child have an extremely upsetting an negative response to a movie, you try to advise against them seeing future movies with that element until they are ready. As in, "I know you want to see X movie, but it is similar to Avatar. Do you still want to see it?""

You honestly disagree with that? If so, why? You haven't made that argument previously.
    Do it anyway

Neither had you, it was just "kids shouldnt watch scary things, they might get scared!"

What? What are you talking about? I've been very clear on my stance. I have never in ALL of my posts said, "Kids shouldn't watch scary things, they might get scared." Not once.

You aren't even reading my arguments. You have placed what you want me to say in your mind and are railing against that. What I posted was a direct quote from something earlier on this page.

This is a pointless argument that you are apparently making with a figment of your imagination. Enjoy.
    Do it anyway

Yes, I'm hallucinating. More drugs for me. Nom nom nom.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information