Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone a classic movie fan????

Default Re: Anyone a classic movie fan????

^OMG The Marx Brothers> talk about anarchistic humor! Fantastic
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Love old movies. Recently saw 'Marty' for the first time and loved it. Also, anything by Tennessee Williams, particularly The Glass Menagerie and CAt on a Hot Tin Roof. Love old Brando flicks, LOVE LOVE LOVE Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell...there are so many. I like modern films for different reasons but there really is something about old movies that transports you in a way that modern flicks can't normally match.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ediebrooks
    I like almost anything with Bette Davis in it;she is my favorite all-time actress. "All About Eve", "Now, Voyager", and "The Little Foxes" are all great. She also scared the crap out of me in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?". I also love "Mildred Pierce". I don't know if we're counting 60s as classic, but from that era I like "Rachel, Rachel", "Midnight Cowboy", and "Little Big Man". As far as comedy goes, the Marx Brothers slay me.
    I love Now Voyager, Little Foxes and Mildred Pierce. All were such tearjerkers but had such strong women in them.

Zee

I gravitate towards comedies and will sit down to watch one whenever there is time. My pvr is making it possible for me to make time!

Doris Day movies are usually fun and campy. The costumes are always beautiful.

One of my favorites is My Geisha with Shirley Maclaine and Yves Montand. She portrays an irritating character who redeems herself in the end by not revealing her greatest role.

I agree with Buttmunch on Auntie Mame- a must watch. Great to see a woman deal with so much with style and class on her own terms. The version with Lucille Ball is Ghastly- just Ghastly.

Another fun movie is the Desk Set with Hepburn and Tracy. It is interesting to see the chemistry between the two stars. Hoping to see it broadcast in widescreen format.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

In Woman of The Year with Hepburn and Tracy, they are standing on a staircase and he lights her cigarette. There was so much chemistry in that moment, very sexy and subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Oh yes, Doris and Rock, so cute. Love the teamwork with hilarious Tony Randall, too. That scene in which Rock tries to get behind the wheel of that small car is classic!

Cary, boy, a great looking guy with such a great sense of humor about himself. Bringing up Baby, and Arsenic and Old Lace, oh my God, he kills me in those

Wuthering Heights with Laurence Olivier..... Some Like it Hot, Gaslight, Whatever happened to Baby Jane, Spellbound. Too many to mention.

Found a clip collection of "Arsenic and old lace" too bad the sound isn't included:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oyf1h0Gjx4[/YOUTUBE]

And the classic scene from "Bringing up baby".

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoGTKwpI4rg&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

***** celeb

Old movies...my personal achilles tendon. I will stop whatever I'm doing to watch anything with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis..and the list goes on.

Absolutely nothing made during the past 50 years compares to those old classics.
    Playful~

I love old movies. A friend and I were talking about this the other day. Some movies are wonderful, and they've "aged" well. One of my favorites is It Happened One Night, which is still funny and still charming and still the best screwball romantic comedy ever made. I'm not even a big Clark Gable lover but I adore him in this film. Everything about it is perfect: The dialogue, the pacing, the timing, the acting, everything.

I also watch a lot of Hitchcock--that man was absolutely mind-blowing. The Lady Vanishes is a little gem. The chemistry between Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave is sweet and funny and utterly believable.

Damn it! You've mentioned almost all of my faves! I love classic movies! Most of Billy Wilder and Hitchcock's movies, most of the movies made from Tennesse Williams plays, pretty much anything with Brando, esp. On the Waterfront. East of Eden with James Dean, From here to eternity... I even watch movies that haven't aged all that well sometimes and often there's something about them to surprise you. I think my fave old comedy is definitely Some like it Hot and my fave film noir is Double Indemnity. I also love the Third Man, the music and that moment when the camera shows Orson Welles for the first time, it killed me!

I also like classic Ealing comedies, the Ladykillers and of course "Kind hearts and coronets" and some classic French films like "Beauty and the Beast" and almost all of Truffault's films.

Errol Flynn, still the best "Robin Hood" even though that acting style is hilariously outdated! (1938)
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDyClIe__E[/YOUTUBE]

Classic scene with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn in "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" (1939)
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQIKrZ6MY3A[/YOUTUBE]

A wonderful documentary on the great classic romantic movie
    "Roman Holiday" with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.
    (Weird to see most of the interviewees are gone now: Eddie
    and son Edward Albert, Gregory Peck, A.C. Lyles and - here
    already on archive material - Audrey herself )
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKnUVG3lQmo[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htOiCfYXea8[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHDbdDqbR_M[/YOUTUBE]

***** celeb

i love the old movies. My favorite is the Heiress with Olivia DeHavilland.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The gorgeous Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff in "Wuthering Heights"
    (1939, with Merle Oberon as Kathy).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTJKyz-VR9I[/YOUTUBE]

With future wife Vivien Leigh in "Fire Over England" (1937)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llBE4EtZUKU&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

He and Vivien Leigh sure made a stunning couple when they were
    married.

***** celeb

Gold Member

I love old movies. In fact it is rare I even see a modern movie. Although I am seeing Nancy Drew. My favourite old movies are:
    Gone With The Wind
    Waterloo Bridge
    Pillow Talk
    Pride and Prejudice - Greer Garson and Orson Welles (even though it wasn't true to the book)
    Giant (I don't think Rock Hudson, James Dean, Liz are the strongest actors but they nailed their roles in this movie)
    The Fountainhead
    To Catch a Thief (Grace Kelly sizzled)
    The Birds (even now after I have watched it, birds will terrify me.)

My favourite:
    The Women. When I first saw it I watched it 3 times in a row over 2 days. It is a rare movie I can bear to watch more than once.

My favourite movies after 1970:
    Grease
    The Getting if Wisdom
    Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Gallipoli

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i love the old movies. My favorite is the Heiress with Olivia DeHavilland.
    Yes, that's one of my faves, too. I also love Bette Davis -- nobody did bitch better than her!

GILDA is one of my faaaves! Rita Hayworth is so freaking GORGEOUS in that movie! I just watched The Shop Around the Corner the other night...Jimmy Stewart was actually pretty good looking in that one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information