Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Angelina Jolie's Mighty Heart performance snubbed by Oscars

In my opinion, she's a mediocre actress at best. She has very limited range, and usually can only play roles well that are similar to her actual self (like Gia and Girl, Interrupted). Other than that, she is a horrible actress. One must only watch Alexander to know that. She has a HUGE problem with adapting to different accents, its actually painful to watch. I was told she had a diction coach for months on Alexander, and the end result was absolutely hilarious. So yes, in two movies I've seen her in (the aforementioned Gia and G,I), they weren't bad performances. The rest have all ranged from absolutely terrible to mediocre and forgettable. She does best in roles where she just pouts alot and gets mean.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    In my opinion, she's a mediocre actress at best. She has very limited range, and usually can only play roles well that are similar to her actual self (like Gia and Girl, Interrupted). Other than that, she is a horrible actress. One must only watch Alexander to know that. She has a HUGE problem with adapting to different accents, its actually painful to watch. I was told she had a diction coach for months on Alexander, and the end result was absolutely hilarious. So yes, in two movies I've seen her in (the aforementioned Gia and G,I), they weren't bad performances. The rest have all ranged from absolutely terrible to mediocre and forgettable. She does best in roles where she just pouts alot and gets mean.
    I agree. I was embarrassed for her in Beowulf. Her accent was horrible.

I heard that, had no inclination to see it. I just listened to her in previews and it made me cringe. Its just awful. I heard her accent was bad as well in A Mighty Heart.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

A lot of actors can't do accents, but she's definitely one of the worst. One would think people would be honest and tell her she needs more training.

Good! Snubbed by me and the Oscars. I
    don't want to live in a world where Veins
    has 2 oscars.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

A Mighty Snub? What a mighty shock...not.

It really says a lot about an actor/actress when their best performances aren't much different from their own personalities. The only times she's impressed me were in Girl, Interrupted and Playing By Heart - basically the same role.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by simplekindoflovely View Post
    It really says a lot about an actor/actress when their best performances aren't much different from their own personalities.
    Honestly thats my personal theory about stand-out actors today. It seems everyone simply plays themselves. And it works out because its a sheer numbers game: there are so many people dying to be a successful, working actor that whenever a particular role comes up, they can find someone who fits the mold.

Of course, there are exceptions. But I really think this is truer than we want to admit. They aren't really actors, so much as they are reading lines as themselves.

I was really disappointed Into The Wild was not nominated, and as equally disappointed Emile Hirsch wasn't nominated for his role as Chris McCandless.

I think Angelina's roles were interesting, but they weren't award winning.

And I can't believe Antonment was nominated in almost every category.
    ssabmud

You have to understand that when she won for Girl Interrupted she was a different person. She was the daughter of Hollywood royalty, the young "rebel girl" who seemed so promising because she was coming off Gia and George Wallace. She was the hot new young starlet who jumped into pools in her formal wear. She wasn't what she is now: the Ice Queen with a string of flops behind her who's trying to reinvent herself as Mother Teresa.

She has no acting range at all... in "Girl Interrupted" the other actors said she continued "acting" the crazy bully when the cameras weren't rolling. Guess she enjoyed playing the queen bee of the psycho ward a little too much!

She is not much more than a pair of (fake -- gotta find some before/after) cheekbones and (supposedly real) lips.

In her life, she orders BP around, disses her natural born child as she continually adds to an international brood, and plays at Mother Theresa-wannabe. And now she's expecting rewards for playing black face?

Would probably do the planet more good if she got sick of preening in front of the camera and retired early!

i wasn't impressed by 'a mighty heart' and i usually love michael winterbottom, but then this wasn't really one of his films since he was basically just a gun-for-hire.
    it's not that the movie was bad per se, just that it was a stupid idea to make a film out of this in the first place. this should have been a documentary. and jolie wasn't bad but i wouldn't have nominated her for a prize either.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

Thank God she didn't get nominated! January - I agree, definitely a mediocre actress at best. She was basically playing her unstable self in her two most noteworthy performances - "Gia" and Girl, Interrupted". That's why people thought it was acting - nobody could believe somebody could really be as loopy as she is. Those of you who recall interviews from earlier in her career know what I mean.

Of course, now that she's repackaged her image, we're supposed to forget about all that. Unfortunately for publicist, some of us longer term memories than assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    You have to understand that when she won for Girl Interrupted she was a different person. She was the daughter of Hollywood royalty, the young "rebel girl" who seemed so promising because she was coming off Gia and George Wallace. She was the hot new young starlet who jumped into pools in her formal wear. She wasn't what she is now: the Ice Queen with a string of flops behind her who's trying to reinvent herself as Mother Teresa.
    That sums it up quite nicely.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information