Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Angelina Jolie's Changeling debuts at disappointing No. 4

I like her acting, but this was another bad choice for her. A movie about child kidnapping, child loss, and the concept everyone thinking you're a lunatic while you suffer the loss of a child? Hold me back from this one, hot damn!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    GaPeach, I love you, I really really do, for all our differences, but I don't think the problem is beautiful women being mothers. I think the problem is that AJ is not a box-office draw, and her reviews were generally unfavorable. The New Yorker and the New York Times both said she wasn't that great. I dunno. There have been a lot of movies about beautiful mothers. People just don't like St. Angelina as much as we are told we should.

I really loved Clint's "Unforgiven" and I thought Swank's performance in "Million Dollar Baby" was phenomenal. "Mystic River"---enh, I was on the fence....I read the book when it came out and Sean Penn really chewed the scenery with that one. Tim Robbins broke my heart.

Anyway. I wonder how it will do this coming weekend.
    Thing is the movie really hit me. Not because of Jolie but because of the subject matter. If people don't see it then I'm sorry but they don't get a vote. It's like telling someone they hated mint chocolate chip ice cream when they've never eaten mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I won't be seeing Marley and Me but not because of Jennifer because the dog dies.

I was sort of embarrassed to put my review here and if you think it was long you should have seen it before I cut some of it out.

yeah we are both passionate about our "team" ....... geez LOL

[quote=Dallas_Munro;1458543]

With all due respect, sluce's point is perfectly valid. I, too, am unwilling to believe that every person in Lily's life agrees with her about everything regarding Angelina Jolie. I refuse to believe that Lily only has friends and loved ones that share exactly the same opinion as her. I refuse to believe that there is not one -- ONE! -- person in her circle that thinks Angelina Jolie is attractive and/or a good actress and/or not an attention whore.

And regarding your suggestion to sluce that "If you don't like what she has to say, just don't read it," then here is what I have to say:
    If Lily doesn't like what people have to say about Angelina Jolie, she should just stay out of the thread.

It really does go both ways.

Back OT:
    I really do want to see this movie. I am INTRIGUED by the story!! I can't imagine being in that woman's situation. I just... I just can't imagine... [/quote
    Bingo. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Thing is the movie really hit me. Not because of Jolie but because of the subject matter. If people don't see it then I'm sorry but they don't get a vote. It's like telling someone they hated mint chocolate chip ice cream when they've never eaten mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I won't be seeing Marley and Me but not because of Jennifer because the dog dies.

I was sort of embarrassed to put my review here and if you think it was long you should have seen it before I cut some of it out.

yeah we are both passionate about our "team" ....... geez LOL
    The dog dies?!

And yeah, calling someone a "publicist" is really the same thing as writing an entire paragraph berating someone just to cause an argument.

It's one thing to tease a poster. It's another to continue to be mean-spirited and provoke an argument just to get a rise out of someone. It's getting really, really old.
    Last edited by Lily; November 7th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Munro View Post

Wait... what????! I need to visit the link you posted. Are you saying the real life person that AJ played ended up being a torturer/murderer, along with her son? Or maybe my reading and comprehension skills are lacking...
    No it's not you Dallas. It could be my writing abilities. I meant that the mother AJ plays was sent to a hospital for questioning the LAPD while the killer and his mother were killing these kids.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Ooh! Thanks for explaining that SP - I didn't like to ask.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    No it's not you Dallas. It could be my writing abilities. I meant that the mother AJ plays was sent to a hospital for questioning the LAPD while the killer and his mother were killing these kids.
    But they never found out if the killers actually killed Walter. His body was never found. Christine the mother spent the rest of her life looking for him.

I think I'll have to go see this.

Well it remained in the 4th spot in week 2 and did not fall out of the top 10 as Lily predicted. Does that make it a success? It was actually 3rd in terms of tickets sold per theater. It was beat only by Madgascar & Role Models in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    But they never found out if the killers actually killed Walter. His body was never found. Christine the mother spent the rest of her life looking for him.

You're right and the fact that they didn't find him and I think one other boy was found alive she alway hoped until her dying day. I can't see movies like this.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

I agree with January that from the looks of the trailer, Jolie looks like she's overacting (or at least her acting skills still leave a lot to be desired for me, since it is admittedly a very dramatic story and role). But the story is compelling, it's true, and that makes me want to go see it, in spite of my suspicions that Jolie's acting misses the mark.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Well it remained in the 4th spot in week 2 and did not fall out of the top 10 as Lily predicted. Does that make it a success? It was actually 3rd in terms of tickets sold per theater. It was beat only by Madgascar & Role Models in sales.
    actually it's reviews have been going up

It really was a good movie no matter what people think about Angelina Jolie.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post

Oh, for fuck's sake, you guys!! For real??? Damn. Looks like yet another good movie I'mma havta get all mentally prepared for. I finally saw Monster's Ball this week, so we'll see how long it takes me to see this gut-wrencher. Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I agree with January that from the looks of the trailer, Jolie looks like she's overacting (or at least her acting skills still leave a lot to be desired for me, since it is admittedly a very dramatic story and role). But the story is compelling, it's true, and that makes me want to go see it, in spite of my suspicions that Jolie's acting misses the mark.
    Angelina Jolie can act. She really can. It just... takes a lot of work. It takes: writing, direction, investment in the story at hand. She did really well in Gia, and also in Girl, Interrupted. So she's got drama chops. I didn't see her in A Mighty Heart, but that's because that fucking accent kept getting in the way. She needs to stay far away from roles that require an accent, bless her heart.
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

Angelina Jolie can act. She really can. It just... takes a lot of work. It takes: writing, direction, investment in the story at hand. She did really well in Gia, and also in Girl, Interrupted. So she's got drama chops. I didn't see her in A Mighty Heart, but that's because that fucking accent kept getting in the way. She needs to stay far away from roles that require an accent, bless her heart. __________________
    Paging the 'SVZ Blind' thread!!

LOL!

Do you thin he'll ever tell?
    Free Charmed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information